Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Upgrading the stock kit lens of a DSLR?

Fozzie

Hi all, thought i would post a quick initial musings in respect to a lens upgrade of a canon eos. The stock lens supplied was the 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 stm. Now actually ive been genuinely pleased with as it's produced some nice photos, portraits and otherwise.. but at 18mm, 52mm dia and f3.5 fully open it's not the best performing under the stars..

Now wanting a little more, if been looking second hand for a greater range say 15-80 ish, and a better all round performance. I did squire a 17-85 usm second hand but unfortunately it came with a undisclosed fault, and had to be returned. (Must say the chap was very good about it despite stating no returns... fleebay eh!)

As it was, with the need for some last minute Christmas shopping, i headed into Leeds on a mission to get the gifts sorted on mad Friday.. Now I had looked up camera shops before I went out, you know incase I was passing,  and thought after all the google research i had come down with blindness by over analysis.. as it happens i was passing so called in at Dale photographic, and spoke about my interests and requirements..

Namely  a general walk around lens, good range of "zoom" and capable of good low light tripod shots.. the chaps were very interested, in the moon images i had taken, and after a good half hour of chatting through the different options I ended up with the sigma 17-70mm 72mm dia f2.8-4 hsm DC macro lens, image stabilised and ed lens elements to boot..

One of the key points of this was the f2.8 @17mm which ok is not the widest or fastest but compared to stock lens is a huge step up.. im fortunate to be hrading on a family holiday to lapland in the next week and i wanted a lower fratio for this trip. I'd considered the efs24/f2.8 as a prime but it'd still leave me wanting a better around walk about lense.

So as to the review element, I'll try to get out and take some comparable shots in a forecasted window tonight, from my dark sky spot, as opposed to the light polluted garden but as a quick one against the other here's some results.. both are iso6400, and 30 sec single exposures..

The first is with the kit lens 18mm at f3.5, from the dark sky's of Scotland in September.. 

20170925204550_IMG_0094.thumb.JPG.149841b5a5fd716e4f33fabcdaf95a77.JPG

This was a quick test last night from my garden, lots of lights (and it shows in the noise and glow) 

20171217_115055.thumb.jpg.e8b7ebd3540df479bf73e0afd3eeeaf8.jpg

Both shot in raw and processed using generic free software on my phone so nothing special..

What has impressed my, despite the chalk and cheese sky conditions, is the sheer number of dots picked up by the new lens.. yrs the last shot is processed to the far end of forever.. see below the unprocessed image

20171217_103515.thumb.jpg.b00f5299bb3f1067beb1d3b0e2551444.jpg

Will update this with some true side by sides but initial indications are it's a big step up overall.. 

Just thought I'd post, as I say for musings rather than scientific fact..

Few pictures side by side of the lenses..

20171217_125100.thumb.jpg.a6c345b44f9abffef4916d822cb4b0f3.jpg

Ta

Fozzie

Ps apologies about that hedge being abusive, will cut that down!!!

9 hours ago, happy-kat said:

That's a nice walk around range. Have a fantastic holiday.

Many thanks... seasons greetings to you and yours..

I was planning on heading out tonight.. to do a proper side by side, had a big GnT instead.. my be next time!

Archived