Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Macavity

No *90mm* ED APO (semi-APO) Refractors?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, 25585 said:

Are the TV 85s CA free?

To my own eyes, mine certainly seems to be free of...well anything I don't like. :happy11:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only one I know of is the Primaluce Airy 90 which is a copy of the WO Megrez 90.

You do not see many Megrez 90's for sale, no-one seems to let go of them. Myself included.

Likely someone does make a 90mm but it maybe a triplet, wasn't there a Raptor 90 from either Astro Tech or Stellarvue think a triplet, and if the idea is imaging then get a triplet. An ED is good but still a doublet and people do report CA, and imaging is harder on the optics.

WO have a 61 and a 73 now. Just wondering if the old 80 ED and then the Megrez 90 may make a reappearance :icon_biggrin:. How about the new WO 73?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2017 at 09:56, ollypenrice said:

Although I haven't checked the used proces lately, I remember feeling that the TV85 was one of the most under-priced instruments around. I'd love one but have not the slightest possible excuse!

Olly

 

On 12/18/2017 at 10:26, mikeDnight said:

You could claim insanity. It works for me! :icon_compress:

You know you NEED one....

Thank goodness it's so ugly :evil4:

tmp_21454-DSC_0237-759827226.thumb.JPG.06d1bdc5e9e773b8f1619262db036da2.JPG

Who would be tempted by that? :evil:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 09:27, DaveS said:

I have a Megrez 90, but it will have to be prised out of my cold dead hands.

So, do you like it because it's a 90, or because it's a WO scope, or both? I just bought the GT81 APO, been playing with it this evening because it's too cloudy to use it. If it works as good as it looks, I'll feel the same as you.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 04:34, Peter Drew said:

Perhaps the question should have been "Why no affordable 90mm ED scopes?".    :icon_biggrin:

Seems like once they pass 80mm, the price goes up faster than the aperture size. Even a good 80 bites the wallet pretty hard.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is the TV 85 for CA? My Genesis has CA but is a rich field scope & F5. Given its age, when flourite was new to amateur optics, it's fine. I love it's sturdiness, so a comparable robust scope with no CA would be good. So far the TV 85 & SW Esprit 100 (cos I'd like a triplet) are best contenders. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 25585 said:

How is the TV 85 for CA?

I see none on mine. :happy11:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, 25585 said:

How is the TV 85 for CA? My Genesis has CA but is a rich field scope & F5. Given its age, when flourite was new to amateur optics, it's fine. I love it's sturdiness, so a comparable robust scope with no CA would be good. So far the TV 85 & SW Esprit 100 (cos I'd like a triplet) are best contenders.

If buying new, I'd be inclined to go for the Esprit, get it from FLO and have it pre-checked by Es Reid. :smile: You'll get the triplet, the aperture, and the peace of mind that it's as good as it should be.

For absolute tank build (no, not "tank-like", it IS a tank) the TV-85 is way up there. But they almost never come up used, and buying one new is, well... :huh2:

Edited by iPeace
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, iPeace said:

If buying new, I'd be inclined to go for the Esprit, get it from FLO and have it pre-checked by Es Reid. :smile: You'll get the triplet, the aperture, and the peace of mind that it's as good as it should be.

For absolute tank build (no, not "tank-like", it IS a tank) the TV-85 is way up there. But they almost never come up used, and buying one new is, well... :huh2:

The Esprit is a beaut to be sure & super finder/guide/telephoto scope as well. 

... it's like Harley-Davidson/Indian v other V-twin motor bike choice... :happy6:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 25585 said:

... it's like Harley-Davidson/Indian v other V-twin motor bike choice... :happy6:

Yes, the TV-85 is old school, cold-war-over-engineered joy. Perhaps unlike classic bikes, it requires zero tinkering, always ready to ride. It's just so durn heavy for what it is, certainly by current standards, so taking it out feels like an occasion - which is not all bad, and again not unlike the Hog in the garage. And still considerably less heavy than the Esprit.

It's an investment in a different market segment, shall we say, and the Esprit may have a somewhat broader appeal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Luna-tic said:

So, do you like it because it's a 90, or because it's a WO scope, or both? I just bought the GT81 APO, been playing with it this evening because it's too cloudy to use it. If it works as good as it looks, I'll feel the same as you.

Seems like once they pass 80mm, the price goes up faster than the aperture size. Even a good 80 bites the wallet pretty hard.

 

Probably the optical quality, and with a TS 0.79x reducer it comes down to a very useful FL with the ASI1600.

The build quality is pretty good to and the crayford focuser has a propper steel track.

It's just a very nice package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.