SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

December 17, 2017 (just): brief binocular session in style

Just got back from our Xmas ball of the Ballroom and Latin school, when the skies showed a large clear patch. So I got out the Helios LightQuest 16x80 binoculars, and without shedding my smoking (or tuxedo, if you like), complete with cummerbund and bow tie, I went out to have a quick look. I first turned to Orion. I have never seen more extent to the Orion Nebula in binoculars. M31, M32, and M110 were very clear as well. M33 showed up very well as well. I paid my respects to the Pleiades and the Double Cluster, followed by a quick trawl through Auriga, where M36, M37, and M38 really show the class of this glass. I never in any other binoculars saw the individual stars in these clusters so clearly. I ended on M81 and M82, which showed up really nicely, and M51 and M101, which were still too low to show up really well. 

A great little session, really confirming the class of these binoculars.

Archived