SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Geminids short compilation video

hi

Capture of Geminids meteors over a couple of nights - pulled out best frames and made into a short video for ease of viewing 

The 20 Frames shown here were captured on Starlight Xpress AllSkyCamera, each frame exposure length of 12sec , overall 20 frames at 1 frame per sec

Couple of really prominent meteors, some less so, good mix either way - happy viewing :)

Geminids.mp4

regards

Jamie

That is really neat.  Thanks for posting.

I took over 700 x 30s still frames with my 60D and Sanyang 14mm and managed to get 3 meteors !! ..... looks like they were avoiding Yorkshire (!).

The advantage of the all-sky-camera is that you don't need to decide on a 'zone' of sky.   I plumped for the 'shoulder of Orion'  thinking it would look nice and I could get some foreground in as well.....    obviously not where the action was....  I wonder if there is a region of sky which sees more events with respect to the radiant ?

Sean.

9 hours ago, Craney said:

That is really neat.  Thanks for posting.

I took over 700 x 30s still frames with my 60D and Sanyang 14mm and managed to get 3 meteors !! ..... looks like they were avoiding Yorkshire (!).

The advantage of the all-sky-camera is that you don't need to decide on a 'zone' of sky.   I plumped for the 'shoulder of Orion'  thinking it would look nice and I could get some foreground in as well.....    obviously not where the action was....  I wonder if there is a region of sky which sees more events with respect to the radiant ?

Sean.

Hi there

As meteors are very fleeting you need a good wide angle lens and go down the short exposure and high sensitivity route.  Low f stop, high iso and e.g. maximum 10 sec exposure to minimise impact of light pollution.  You can try the settings out on a given night to get max sensitivity/light pollution compromise, then set off the timer.

The Perseids maximum probably next opportunity.

Cheers

Paul

Cheers Paul,   

Yes I went for the  35 sec F 2.8 ISO 400  route  so that I would not blow out the stars and not over saturate any sky-glow. Hopefully I would get enough stellar detail to make it a decent photo, as well as having the shutter open for a long enough period to capture something..

As with most things in astro-photography it will take a few attempts...... :) ..... this about the best one I got....5a36443be4396_FBmeteor.thumb.jpg.d7be291bd5635b5e5b5b30e53cfa6f8f.jpg

All of them were edge of frame as well......  oh well......

Sean.

nice picture Sean! I felt there would have been more too...wasn't as many as expected in my opinion!

it is to some degree a trade of with a higher quality picture using DSLR vs wider FoV with all sky camera - the meteors i normally capture seem to be all over the place, even with geminids, hence why prefer the all sky camera. i did try meter shower once with DSLR but didnt capture too much. I'll post a review with different exposure lengths to get an idea of what to expect when get a moment. The biggest plus for me is weatherproofing / dew control compared to DSLR

Archived