Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HELP ... how do I stop Windows10 from doing unwanted upgrades halfway through an imaging run???

SlimPaling

I left my set-up merrily doing a lengthy imaging run for approx. 15 minutes only to find that it had all been interrupted by an unwanted update !!! Everything had been messed up ... I was exceedingly worried that my sensor had been left at -20 c without any chance of a controlled warming up.

Previous to all of this I "thought" that I had done everything to disable these automatic updates ....

For some time I have been starting up my system by always disconnecting my observatory Laptop (running Win10) from the 'net as this helped with unwanted updates in the past ... but I usually re-connect when I operate my observatory from my House computer via Radmin. Tonight my Laptop decided to update itself :-(((

How can I totally stop these unwanted updates happening???

Mike

Yes it's a PITA. I have missed an opportunity for planetary imaging as the target was behind a tree by the time the update completed. Anotehr time I wanted to show my dad something and teh computer took an hour and a half to boot.

Regularly click the 'speech balloon' at bottom right.

When an update that needs a restart is expected you can choose your 'busy hours' and also schedule the update or put it for for a few days.

They recently increased the 'busy hours' you can have from 12 to 18.

One day this will happen in a safety critical situation and someone will get killed by a microsoft update.

Another trick is to check the "updates" on the settings screen a while before you start an imaging run (assuming you have time to and remember!!).  That way you can force the machine to run the update immediately or ensure that you have delayed it sufficiently.  The whole process is an absolute pain but it looks as if we will simply have to learn to live with it - for the time being at least..

14 hours ago, SlimPaling said:

I left my set-up merrily doing a lengthy imaging run for approx. 15 minutes only to find that it had all been interrupted by an unwanted update !!! Everything had been messed up ... I was exceedingly worried that my sensor had been left at -20 c without any chance of a controlled warming up.

Previous to all of this I "thought" that I had done everything to disable these automatic updates ....

For some time I have been starting up my system by always disconnecting my observatory Laptop (running Win10) from the 'net as this helped with unwanted updates in the past ... but I usually re-connect when I operate my observatory from my House computer via Radmin. Tonight my Laptop decided to update itself :-(((

How can I totally stop these unwanted updates happening???

Mike

What version of W10 are you running?  As Alan says you can set your connection to metered which will help.  However, I believe MS will push what it deems to be "critical" updates anyway, bypassing this.  

If you are running W10 Pro see my youtube video here showing how to disable unwanted updates using GPE.

3 hours ago, RayD said:

What version of W10 are you running?  As Alan says you can set your connection to metered which will help.  However, I believe MS will push what it deems to be "critical" updates anyway, bypassing this.  

If you are running W10 Pro see my youtube video here showing how to disable unwanted updates using GPE.

H RayD ...

I have "Windows 10 Home" on my Laptop ... so this option to not available to me :-(

I have now set up my connection to "metered" and have set the Laptop to "Active Hours" covering my night time operations.

I am hopeful that any updates will now be much more controlled .... not sure what effect the "Metering" bit will do .... I know that I do need some updates at times ... but not at night !

Mike

37 minutes ago, SlimPaling said:

H RayD ...

I have "Windows 10 Home" on my Laptop ... so this option to not available to me :-(

I have now set up my connection to "metered" and have set the Laptop to "Active Hours" covering my night time operations.

I am hopeful that any updates will now be much more controlled .... not sure what effect the "Metering" bit will do .... I know that I do need some updates at times ... but not at night !

Mike

No problem Mike.  Metered will work fine as it assumes the connection has limited bandwidth so doesn't force downloads on you other that what MS term as "ones necessary to maintain safe and secure use of the PC".  I don't believe it will work on a wired LAN so you will need to stay on a wireless link.

There is a way to do exactly the same restricting via local policies on the Home edition but each time you turn on the PC it needs to be reset, so it is less than ideal unless you leave the PC on all the time.

Sounds like you have it sorted now :thumbright:

I have used "metered" in the past when I was using a PAYG dongle or phone tethering and it did stop any larger downloads from MS eating up your data allowance and its usually the big downloads that force multiple resets during installation. It is a useful tool to use during critical times but I always switched it off during the rest of the time.

Alan

Personally I would always recommend using W10 Pro and configuring updates via GPE as you do need them, particularly if using Windows Defender, and this way lets you see them and only apply them when it suits you.  I've never had a single forced update, and I am permanently connected to the internet both on my laptop and my obsy PC. In the scheme of things with AP, the cost to "upgrade" to Pro really isn't that great, and of course then gives you the option of RDP.

The Windows defender definitions updates I always apply immediately whilst the camera is cooling as they are quick and don't need a restart, and any others I apply when it suits me, so usually during the day when I am at work and log on remotely.

It's ironic that as I'm typing this on my Mac an update message has popped up, but of course with Apple they do ask if you want to restart, and don't just do it.

6 hours ago, RayD said:

I want updates, it's just Microsoft make it difficult to schedule them, you have to proactively manage them.

12 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I want updates, it's just Microsoft make it difficult to schedule them, you have to proactively manage them.

To schedule them as I do you need W10 Pro, there really isn't any other way.

38 minutes ago, sloz1664 said:

I have read somewhere that the new W10 "fall" update has ability to allow you to stop updates until needed. As I run W7 in my obsy I do not have these worries. Updates turned off.

Steve

Trouble is everyone wants to stop updates so won't have received it :icon_biggrin:

I read a few articles (2 years ago) about special applications to kill communication processes of Windows 10 with the mothership. I don't want to say it's a good idea to run the OS with no updates or cutting the communications of course but it's possible to stop everything with the right applications and configuration, including the killing of Cortana, disabling telemetry, updates and other weird things.

This website looks strong and interesting, there is a part about the updates, nice stuff.

https://fdossena.com/?p=w10debotnet/index_1709.frag

If this can help.. I don't expect any likes there but if it can convince only 1 person to try... it's like saving some personal data of 1 individual. I would feel like a true hero...:icon_king:

Archived