SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The History of Astronomy in Worcestershire Project

michaelmorris

My local astronomical society (Worcester Astronomical Society) are currently setting up a project to research and record the history of amateur and professional astronomy in Worcestershire.  The results of this research will hopefully help expand the the Society for the History of Astronomy's Survey of Astronomical History for the county.

Does anyone have information about amateur astronomy in Worcestershire that might help with the project?

Please let me know if you would like to get involved or would like to pass on some information.  You can find out more here.

Thanks

Google Books has scans of BAA members and RAS fellows lists. Some of the scans are searchable, so putting ‘Worcestershire’ in would be a start.

Visiting your local Record Office and reading local newspapers around the times of major astronomical events can also produce results, for example the 1927 solar eclipse.

The only people I know about would be the ‘Perrin’ of Lea & Perrin sauce and the Reverend Francis Eld of Worcester Grammar School, but they are already in the SHA Survey.

Archived