SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC410 The Tadpoles Nebula

Barry-Wilson

The Tadpoles are a favourite of imagers and its easy to see why with abundant emission data and such a distinctive recognisable shapes!

This image is from e-Eye and its dark skies reveal delightful detail.  I have once again left a touch of green in the NB processing as I am finding it helps enrich the blues with a broader tonal range.  At home in Totnes I am part-way through an HST image of The Monkey Head Nebula and will process in the same way (may even get some more SII and OIII tonight :icon_biggrin:).

From APOD: "What's all of the commotion in the Tadpole nebula? Star formation. Dusty emission in the Tadpole nebula, IC 410, lies about 12,000 light-years away in the northern constellation of the Charioteer (Auriga). The cloud of glowing gas is over 100 light-years across, sculpted by stellar winds and radiation from embedded open star cluster NGC 1893. Formed in the interstellar cloud a mere 4 million years ago, bright newly formed cluster stars are seen all around the star-forming nebula. Notable near the image center are two relatively dense streamers of material trailing away from the nebula's central regions. Potentially sites of ongoing star formation in IC 410, these cosmic tadpole shapes are about 10 light-years long."

Details:

• Tak FSQ106 at F5
  • 10 Micrcon GM1000HPS
  • QSI683wsg-8 with 5nm NB Astrodon filters
  • 24 x 1200s Ha; 21 x 1200s SII and 21 x 1200s x OIII; 22 hrs total integration
  • Captured with SGP and processed in PixInsight
  • Data acquisition: Steve Milne & Barry Wilson
  • Processing: Barry Wilson

5a34142c5be42_IC410TadpolesSHO_Blend_Final.thumb.jpg.605e53bab00d0db8bcc5d1067876c5a3.jpg

3 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Beautiful image. Remote imaging working well for you!

Thank you tooth_dr.  Yes, it is early days but I am enjoying the challenge and appreciate the ability to have such a set up with a like-minded mate.

The stormy weather across the UK and western Europe of late has meant some cloudy skies for all of us and also at e-Eye, but when it clears you seem to get uninterrupted clear and dark skies.

I was stranded in Schiphol Airport Sunday through to Tuesday and when I came home, the storms had ripped off the central strip of felt in my home observatory sometime over the weekend.  Fortunately everything was reasonably dry-ish inside (and it all worked fine when powered) and I had a frantic couple of hours in the dusk and early evening roofing.  I was lucky to have a mate who could help me, a spare roll of felt/tacks/bitumen paint in the garage, and so could make safe immediately.

So even remote in your back garden has challenges!

2 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Excellent - the remote works! I've been imaging this one myself from the UK but struggling with good OIII data at the moment, I envy you those skies!

Thank you Steve.  It does all work and as you know only too well, everything only works after application of the grey matter :happy6:.

Your 6" sharp optics will be a delight on this target and I look forward to seeing your final image.

1 hour ago, Allinthehead said:

Very nice Barry. Looks really good when zoomed in. Processed in your typical moody but delicate way. You're right about leaving in that touch of green i find we need a little to maintain a more natural looking colour, and of course that tonal range.

Thank you Richard: exactly my intention.

1 hour ago, cfpendock said:

That is a cracker, Barry.  Actually it is another of those targets which (until I saw this rendition), I preferred in mono - the Ha alone seemed to me to have most of the detail.  Obviously I have a lot to learn!

Chris

Much appreciated Chris. This target does fare well in many guises as monochrome, HST, bi-colour and HaRGB.

35 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Looking good Barry

Rodd

:headbang2:

Nice... Hmm yes.. I've been collecting some close in data on this one ..since .. well before you got the e-Eye setup going.. and I'm still at it!

Love the colour, nice ever so slight fadeout to turquoise into the outer dust, (on my screen anyway) works very well, don't change anything..  I've always wondered about "the general rule" of stripping out all of green in everything. I do tend to try several settings with SCNR before I'm happy. 

I used rubber on my Obsy roof.. seriously glued down. It's weathered several Gales.. being on a hill we get a fair bit of weather so I tended to over engineer the Obsy anyway, the current weather alarm trigger is 35mph.. (average) before I start to check the subs :grin:

A very beautiful image of those juvenile space frogs and I see no reason to shy away from green when you do NB imaging of amphibians.

Clearly that Spanish effort is paying off and i am glad to hear that your own backyard obsy survived while being left alone to face the powers of nature.

15 hours ago, Sp@ce_d said:

Nice... Hmm yes.. I've been collecting some close in data on this one ..since .. well before you got the e-Eye setup going.. and I'm still at it!

Love the colour, nice ever so slight fadeout to turquoise into the outer dust, (on my screen anyway) works very well, don't change anything..  I've always wondered about "the general rule" of stripping out all of green in everything. I do tend to try several settings with SCNR before I'm happy. 

I used rubber on my Obsy roof.. seriously glued down. It's weathered several Gales.. being on a hill we get a fair bit of weather so I tended to over engineer the Obsy anyway, the current weather alarm trigger is 35mph.. (average) before I start to check the subs :grin:

Thank you.  I am certainly enjoying the richer colouring leaving in some green.  I ma varying the amount left behind for each target . . . as long as you stand back and carry out some sense checking with a comparator image otherwise it is too easy to no longer detect how green your image remains and objectivity is lost.  I'm finding it only needs to be of the order 10-20%-ish.

Without doubt I'll have to re-felt properly in the Spring, maybe even line with some breathable membrane too.

13 hours ago, gorann said:

A very beautiful image of those juvenile space frogs and I see no reason to shy away from green when you do NB imaging of amphibians.

Clearly that Spanish effort is paying off and i am glad to hear that your own backyard obsy survived while being left alone to face the powers of nature.

Thanks Goran.

Magnificent frisky tadpoles! It suits this wider FOV and framing. Nice tight stars in the head of the tadpole.  I'm struggling with this. Do you use tone-mapping?

I've been capturing this from West London for quite a while hoping to neutralise some of the light pollution.  I'm now processing it and will use yours as my reference comparison image. Watch this space!

Archived