Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Mount Suggestions and advice

Well, after a year of starting out and viewing/photographing everything I can see from my light polluted haven, it's time to upgrade.  I have learned a lot, mostly from reading all the posts here and Cloudy Nights, practicing with SharpCap, PHD, DSS etc. and basically learning everything I can with my CG4 and motor drives, iOptron Skyguider Pro kit and 6" Newtonian and DSLR gear.  No GOTO as yet, but that is what this post is about.  I just ordered a new Astro Tech 72mm Version II scope for my adventures in astrophotography, along with a ZWO 174MM-C but I might end up getting a cooled camera later next year if it doesn't work out.  Now, what I would like is some advice on the mount.  I know there are lots of opinions and varied views but essentially it's boiling down to Celestron or Skywatcher.  CGEM II or EQ6-R maybe.  I've used the Atlas, although it was troublesome at times, likely due to the 10" Newtonian it was carrying.  Anyway, I've saved all my beer money for a new mount, and was wondering if I could get some constructive advice, outright criticism, friendly pointers and some polite suggestions as to what I should buy specifically for astrophotography and guiding.  I'm picking up a 60mm guidescope and either a ZWO 120MM or QHY for guiding, not much difference between the two I hear, except maybe a small price difference.  I have all my DSLR gear plus other bits and pieces needed, computers etc.  Just the big one, the mount, is needed to move forward.  Fire away......

Unless you specifically want the ability to switch between AZ / EQ modes on your mount, then steer well clear of the AZEQ6, her is my experience after a few years of ownership of the AZEQ6;

The fork tightening mechanism on the AZEQ6 mounts is terrible for locking down your mount for polar alignment. To try and lock it down I replaced with penny washers and nylock nuts I can tighten with a spanner, and even then I can still adjust the altitude on the mount without slackening the nuts off!

This has been a real issue for me as I am trying to lock down my PA on a pier that has the view of Polaris blocked for 8 months a year by trees & restricted horizons for drift alignment. 

The EQ6R would be much better if you are only planning to use it in the EQ mode for imaging.

I wasn't planning on the AZ-EQ configuration, just autoguiding for astrophotography using DSLR or CCD imaging, Refractor or Reflector depending on the target.  The Atlas seems to be the de facto choice, but it's an old design, the CGEM II is newer, but I hear it can't support EQMOD, but does support ASCOM(?).  Anyway, the GOTO controller will work either way.  They are about the same price over here.  The Sky Watcher mounts are another option, but I'm not spending $2000 if I can get the same operational characteristics from the Atlas or CGEM II.  That extra $500 can be better spent on a really good barlow lens or a cooled CCD or converted DSLR Canon 6D.

Archived