Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

2 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Was it all the talk about Berlebach's that did it , Mike ;) Very Very nice by the way!

It's just one of those promises I made myself a while ago...there's no way you know how lovely one of these is until you see, touch and smell one. Couldn't be happier. :happy10:

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, iPeace said:

It's just one of those promises I made myself a while ago...there's no way you know how lovely one of these is until you see, touch and smell one. Couldn't be happier. :happy10:

I've got the Uni28 on my future list :) Glad you're using plenty of senses to enjoy your new mount :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@iPeace

Now that looks gorgeous! I'm sure it will do a great job for many years! Well done!! :) 

Now a few questions .. :D 

1. did you get the `leg spread stop`? I think it is but I cannot see it well from the pic. How do you find it? 

2. If I understood correctly, the central column can be locked, right?

3. how smooth is the central column movement? 

4. Any idea of the vibration settling time when the central column is completely extended? 

5. Did you also get the tripod case? If so, how is it? 

Thanks a lot in advance! :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Piero said:

1. did you get the `leg spread stop`? I think it is but I cannot see it well from the pic. How do you find it?

Yes. Works well, keeps the legs solidly in place at the specified angle. Well made, heavy duty with satisfying click. Note: the click is when you move the bit to select the angle, not when the leg hits the stop.

DSC_1210.thumb.JPG.b8e626dd9cce914730b7c2f2481a7af1.JPG

DSC_1209.thumb.JPG.efe7a8338629c22ef307005fd825c304.JPG

1 hour ago, Piero said:

2. If I understood correctly, the central column can be locked, right?

Yes. The gearing mechanism also automatically locks in place, so it doesn't all come rushing back down when you release the handle; the locking knob is sort of an "extra". Apologies for how the camera flash makes this look...

DSC_1212.thumb.JPG.6d2691ce9b7a48edf57026bc94c9840e.JPG

1 hour ago, Piero said:

3. how smooth is the central column movement?

Warm butter. Olive oil. Premium grease. Soap in the shower. And this is WITH the mount and scopes on.

1 hour ago, Piero said:

4. Any idea of the vibration settling time when the central column is completely extended?

Depends on where you slap the assembly. It might just slap you back for impertinence. Slap one of the legs, it hardly seems to vibrate at all (it does, of course). Slap the fully-extended centre column at the very top, yes it will vibrate for a very short time. Milliseconds, microseconds? It's very, very solid and dampens beautifully, but I will gladly report on first light when the clouds break.

1 hour ago, Piero said:

5. Did you also get the tripod case? If so, how is it?

Yes. It's nice; has round solid bits at the ends to give it "tubular" shape when in use, but folds up neatly when not. Durable, nice zipper. It's not padded, so not designed for hermetic-case-type protection, but will keep it clean, won't rip and is "breathable" which is recommended for the wood.

DSC_1215.thumb.JPG.c8184cdc9bd42304ecb46c01a822359e.JPG

DSC_1216.thumb.JPG.a0a841359f276107306141e573a4a3ba.JPG

Edited by iPeace
Photos added.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Piero said:

@iPeace 

It sounds amazing... I wish I had the CN icon :bow: !  

Thanks a lot for your answers! 

It's my pleasure. I've put up some photos, hope they clarify a bit. I will report further on actual use. :happy11:

P.S. It's hard to get a feel for the scale of these things from pictures on a web site. It is so much more impressive than I expected...

DSC_1217.thumb.JPG.819d591e43ac7ff73b6dc9a4a5fc3b09.JPG

Edited by iPeace
  • Thanks 1

On 12/8/2017 at 17:41, iPeace said:

It's very, very solid and dampens beautifully, but I will gladly report on first light when the clouds break.

@Piero, as promised, just had first session with this tripod tonight and it's rock solid with this setup, even when column is fully extended.

DSC_1226.thumb.JPG.b7622773db8f02c99a8f8ad17cd40a1b.JPG

• Like 4

11 hours ago, iPeace said:

@Piero, as promised, just had first session with this tripod tonight and it's rock solid with this setup, even when column is fully extended.

DSC_1226.thumb.JPG.b7622773db8f02c99a8f8ad17cd40a1b.JPG

Looks very impressive - how many kgs load is that in total? (counting the EPs and Castor etc)?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ags said:

Looks very impressive - how many kgs load is that in total? (counting the EPs and Castor etc)?

*Sigh* I was dreading that question. Oh well. :icon_rolleyes:

Digital kitchen scales is the best I can do.

Left side (Borg + diagonal + EP): 2278 g

Right side (TV-60 + diagonal + EP + RDF + alignment unit): 3406 g

Mount (Berlebach Castor II): 1666 g

Total: 7350 g

So, perhaps not as much as you might expect. :happy11:

Still WELL under half the rated capacity of the tripod, or more specifically, the geared centre column (20 kg). Plenty of "head room" left.

Did someone say Mak 150? :grin:

Edited by iPeace

My new Manfrotto 055xpro3 finally arrived yesterday after 2 weeks of waiting due to a glitch in the matrix meaning my order was stuck in digital limbo. All was sorted very quickly once I enquired about it.

Had a quick test run with it last night and it's ALOT sturdier than my old tripod even when raised. Thanks to all those who advised me together one.

DSC_1675.JPG

• Like 2

To anyone buying new Manfrotto gear. Manfrotto have a free gift offer running until 31 December 

https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/completechristmas

Simply apply online using link above. You will need to upload your sales invoice and fill in a few fields in... takes only a minute or two 

My free gift (tripod head) arrived in less than a week!

Merry Xmas, Alan

Edited by alanjgreen
  • Like 2

I just received this! New LED street lights improved the viewing in my garden so much it made it worthwhile to upgrade my Tal1. Looks tiny now compared to my new toy! Needless to say, its been cloudy since it arrived!

20171214_093533.jpg

Edited by skmc1955
  • Like 2