SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

On 3 February 2019 at 11:43, Telescope40 said:

Hello.  Fancied a pair of Canon IS Bino’s for a while now. 

These have arrived. Looking forward to seeing if they are as they seem. 

Only observation so far is no objective dust caps. 

May have to remedy that glitch. 

Regards. John 

4988E5DA-94A2-4C49-A31C-217B01224BB1.jpeg

I went to the camera shop in town today. Didn't have any caps that'd fit. We looked. Zilch. Nada.

Then I had an idea; I asked if they had any film canisters. Kodak grey topped film canister caps fit. It's a bit of fingernail action taking them out but they work a treat!

Tip: Don't push them right into the objective end, but leave them protruding enough to allow you to dig them out with your fingernail and get a couple of spares in case they go flying in the dark.

image.jpeg

Edited by reezeh
Last sentence added to help.
  • Like 1

I am thinking that I do have to do something to make removal easier and not drop the caps. Maybe a cord like paracord and superglue or hot glue based. Probably will look horrible, but it'll be to do a job that isn't just to look pretty.

I keep my IS bins is a pelicase, more worried about knocks than dust. The supplied softcase isn’t any good for keeping them protected. Enjoy the views, surprised myself recently how nice the stars are in my 12x.

PEter

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

I keep my IS bins is a pelicase, more worried about knocks than dust. The supplied softcase isn’t any good for keeping them protected. Enjoy the views, surprised myself recently how nice the stars are in my 12x.

PEter

Got to agree that the softcase isn't much use for protection against knocks and a peli is probably the best thing there, but I've pretty much run out of room for yet another box and I'm reluctant to store anything valuable outside.

12 hours ago, reezeh said:

I am thinking that I do have to do something to make removal easier and not drop the caps. Maybe a cord like paracord and superglue or hot glue based. Probably will look horrible, but it'll be to do a job that isn't just to look pretty.

You can get little adhesive backed plastic 'dots' strung to elastic loops. They often come free with lens caps on ebay.