SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Finally got around to opening up the package containing my Denkmeier EP's.  Really was not expecting the EP cases to be quite so cool - nice solid metal cases which screw together (apparently called Vaults).  The EP also screws into the base of the case to hold it securely in place.  The EP's themselves are lovely too, a real step up from the BCO's I have in terms of feel, but I guess that should be expected given the price difference.

The view through the scope was OK and I was a tad disappointed when looking at M13, so much so I went and got my 10mm BCO to compare.  The view through the BCO was equally poor, so I turned to the Moon to note so much shimmering it was like looking through water.  I will have to have another go when the conditions are better.

Anyway, here are some photos of the EP's and their 'Vaults':

1078e1y.jpg

izvztt.jpg

2rrnfdg.jpg

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, cv01jw said:

Finally got around to opening up the package containing my Denkmeier EP's.  Really was not expecting the EP cases to be quite so cool - nice solid metal cases which screw together (apparently called Vaults).  The EP also screws into the base of the case to hold it securely in place.  The EP's themselves are lovely too, a real step up from the BCO's I have in terms of feel, but I guess that should be expected given the price difference.

The view through the scope was OK and I was a tad disappointed when looking at M13, so much so I went and got my 10mm BCO to compare.  The view through the BCO was equally poor, so I turned to the Moon to note so much shimmering it was like looking through water.  I will have to have another go when the conditions are better.

Anyway, here are some photos of the EP's and their 'Vaults':

1078e1y.jpg

izvztt.jpg

2rrnfdg.jpg

The downside is you now feel obliged to have eyepiece container cases to keep the 'vaults' pristine...

Revelation 80ED f6.8 for grab’n’go duties. In decent condition. Typical ED frac with FPL51 glass and good enough for what I want it for. Had one years ago and found it gave very nice views so when I came across another one at a good price bought it.  ?

8F52F532-765C-4533-9A8C-11D7C258EFC6.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, johninderby said:

Revelation 80ED f6.8 for grab’n’go duties. In decent condition. Typical ED frac with FPL51 glass and good enough for what I want it for. Had one years ago and found it gave very nice views so when I came across another one at a good price bought it.  ?

8F52F532-765C-4533-9A8C-11D7C258EFC6.jpeg

Was that the one on ABS John? I was very tempted myself, but couldn't find enough info about them! Looks lovely.

15 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

Was that the one on ABS John? I was very tempted myself, but couldn't find enough info about them! Looks lovely.

Yes it was. Went for it as I used to have one. Made by Long Perng and was available from a few different places. For visual couldn’t really see any difference between the. FPL51 glass used and an FPL53 scope. 

Will see how it performs with a Herschel Wedge. The red solar finder is a coincidence as I already had it. 

6597F68C-FB6B-431E-A42F-6C9799883E0D.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

My first modern binocular (the Vixen Widefield  SG 2.1x42 doesn't count fully, IMO) arrived yesterday - a Fujinon 7x50 WP-CF marine glass:

DSC_0795.thumb.JPG.a594bd72d47cdfe22bdf49f61169e6fa.JPG

DSC_0796.thumb.JPG.39f8d0a5909b635c1bebc5bc938683c8.JPG

Very solid build quality, easy to use with glasses, and giving excellent, bright and contrasty views in daylight and at night. Had a lot of fun with it, spotting the Pleiades, M 31, M33 (despite the bright moon close by), M  11, 13, 92, and cruising the Milky Way in Cygnus. Auriga clusters later on, as M 42 and 7789 (Caroline's Rose); finally the moon - tack sharp without colour fringes. I was impressed by the excellent reproduction of star colours. A very good acquisition for the special price of just 290€. With the central focusing, it seems to be a perfect allrounder binocular. Have to try this mounted. Hoping the buoyancy neck strap will serve me once when I should take up again sailing...;-)

Stephan

• Like 6

On 01/10/2018 at 18:35, david_taurus83 said:

My first foray into WL solar observing thanks to Gus @Knighty2112

An almost cast iron guarantee that the Bromsgrove Astro star party at Ledbury this weekend will be wet and cloudy!

I think you'll really enjoy it when the new gear Permacloud disperses.

Not much going on in WL at the moment, but there are a couple of small sunspots up there at the moment.

Edited by AdeKing
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 01/10/2018 at 18:35, david_taurus83 said:

My first foray into WL solar observing thanks to Gus @Knighty2112

An almost cast iron guarantee that the Bromsgrove Astro star party at Ledbury this weekend will be wet and cloudy!

20181001_182302.jpg

Nice to see it arrived OK. Hope you enjoy, and we get some WL action to view with them too. :) 

14 minutes ago, RiponJas said:

No posts for for four whole days!! Someone must of bought something surely!!! ? 

I bought a new book case to hold my astro books if that counts? ;) Still got to build it yet though as it only arrived late last evening from Argos!