Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

6 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Hi Dave,

Mine wasn't on eBay, so there must have been another similar one recently..?

Dave

There was a very similar one on eBay, very tempting it was too but I behaved myself and let it go :)

Always fancied a look through one

• Like 1

A letter saying im due a retinopathy screening in Oct.

WOOHOO................

They usually do the screening in June/July but because of the heatwave and brightness of the Sun cancelled all screenings because the drops they put in your eyes make everything so much brighter and for health and safety reason they didnt want to have anyone driving home after or just being blinded by the Sun (more so than the average Summer).

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Stu said:

What a lovely looking setup Ade. Bet the views are cracking too.....if you’ve managed to see any sun that is!

Thanks very much Stu, I'm very pleased with the setup, its definitely a keeper.

The white light views have been stunning, though lately only stunning views of a cue ball :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Sometimes in life you get an "itch you have to scratch", and this was one of mine...

Telementor1.JPG

I wasn't looking for it, nor thinking about it, but I was browsing the net for something else and came across this classic beauty.

It dates from 1989 and came with 6mm and 16mm Carl Zeiss Jena orthos, a 25mm Huygenian and a (non standard diagonal) all in 0.965mm barrel size.

I've already sourced a Zeiss M44 -T2 adapter so I can use 1.25" eyepieces, and tonight I had really lovely views of Saturn and Titan, glimpsing the Cassini Division to one side of the planet, (straigh through viewing) and a very respectable view of Mars, with the polar cap quite distinctly seen. To be honest, the views held up very well with my FS128, which has struggled in the "low murk" recently. Sometimes conditions really do mean that "less is more"!

I'm really chuffed with this classic old frac, at F13.3 it's like old times!

Dave

2_$_58 (7).JPG

4_$_58 (5).JPG

3_$_58 (6).JPG

I can completely relate to this post Dave!  I did exactly the same 4 years ago.  The Telementor was my dream scope when I started - but out of my price range.  So when one came up at a very reasonable price, at the same time my parents wanted to buy me something special for my 50th birthday, I couldn't resist.  A classic scope and mount, punches above its aperture!  And looks great too?  

Enjoy!

Helen

• Thanks 1

I get my flu jab later this week.

Meanwhile, the postman delivered another star atlas today - The Atlas of the Night Sky by Storm Dunlop. Illustrated by Will Tiron and Antonin Rukl. £7 pre-owned but mint and delivered.

61G465729EL.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stu said:

There was a very similar one on eBay, very tempting it was too but I behaved myself and let it go :)

Always fancied a look through one

Yep I behaved myself too and didn't take the plunge! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Moonshane said:

I just received a Skyscan handset to convert my HEQ5 pro to GOTO. My back will thank me.

Nice one Shane. I think at our age we deserve a little help and convenience :)

I do enjoy the GP-DX goto, makes a big difference.

21 hours ago, Stu said:

If (when ;) ) I have a study in my country mansion i will buy a Telementor to put in there, just to look at :). They look fabulous I think.

I agree Stu, elegantly simple. And the mount can be used as an altazimuth too, which is cool?

Dave

IMG_20180922_102933999.jpg

• Like 4

Finally my 8mm EP I complete my BST set has arrived, but for some reason it's not got Starguider branding on it. Instead it's got Astroessentials on it.. Going to have to message FLO and enquire why, its not doing my ocd any good. Doesn't match properly. ? _20180926_172533.thumb.JPG.a2eee87eb7bb771ee30ab912cd1a459e.JPG

1 hour ago, RiponJas said:

Finally my 8mm EP I complete my BST set has arrived, but for some reason it's not got Starguider branding on it. Instead it's got Astroessentials on it.. Going to have to message FLO and enquire why, its not doing my ocd any good. Doesn't match properly. ? _20180926_172533.thumb.JPG.a2eee87eb7bb771ee30ab912cd1a459e.JPG

That wasn't intentional. The manufacturer applied the wrong brand label but a solution is in hand ? 

Steve 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Philip R said:

Thought I would give these a try...

1032914572_6mmLERgoldline(small).jpg.c5540994318586626b82269c20f6eab8.jpg                  39615386_6mmLERredline(small).jpg.985cc417bc28e1a48f9c2b22de93c146.jpg 

...less than £19.00GBP each. Ordered last week from HK ?? [via ebay] and arrived today.

Bought the set of the red banded ones for my son, work surprisingly well. 

• Like 2