SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

A great big thank you to Dave,@F15Rulesfor allowing me to persuade him to part with his 12.5mm Baader Genuine Ortho! For a small cash sum, my first born child and first option on my major organs in the event of my death, Dave agreed to part with this lovely eyepiece. I’m not saying it was hard for Dave to let this eyepiece go but it was so tightly packaged that I had to call a locksmith out to get it open. But in all seriousness, thank you, Dave! Can’t wait to try it :D

C1C995B4-821F-438F-8E1A-B88BFEDDAD97.thumb.jpeg.ef594c58e2d844cd80179b5955704118.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Hi Neil,

Am glad it arrived safely. Sorry for all the tape etc but I know small packages like that can get chucked around and better safe than sorry!

I love the look of Baader GO's (and still have a bino pair of 6mm BGOs that last night showed the most wonderful view of Epsilon Lyrae at x270 or so with x1.6 barlow nosepieces in each eyepiece), but I wanted another 12.5mm and just couldn't find one, regardless of numerous wanted ads over a couple of months. So I bought a new Fujiyama 12.5mm HD-Ortho which is superb, just a sharp as the BGO 12.5mm it seems, but it's several mm shorter than the BGO and they just weren't suited as a bino pair.

I put out an ad for another Fuji 12.5mm last night, and fingers crossed have found one already!

Yours is a rare, cracking eyepiece, and I know you will love it!

Clear skies

Dave

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Hi Neil,

Am glad it arrived safely. Sorry for all the tape etc but I know small packages like that can get chucked around and better safe than sorry!

I love the look of Baader GO's (and still have a bino pair of 6mm BGOs that last night showed the most wonderful view of Epsilon Lyrae at x270 or so with x1.6 barlow nosepieces in each eyepiece), but I wanted another 12.5mm and just couldn't find one, regardless of numerous wanted ads over a couple of months. So I bought a new Fujiyama 12.5mm HD-Ortho which is superb, just a sharp as the BGO 12.5mm it seems, but it's several mm shorter than the BGO and they just weren't suited as a bino pair.

I put out an ad for another Fuji 12.5mm last night, and fingers crossed have found one already!

Yours is a rare, cracking eyepiece, and I know you will love it!

Clear skies

Dave

Thank you, Dave. I was only kidding about the packing. Completely agree. Keep it safe and sound :) 

It’s a shame you couldn’t get a pair of the 12.5mm BGOs but I’m sure the Fujiyama’s will keep you happy. Fingers crossed one turns up soon. 

Thank you again for passing the BGO onto me. I promise it’s gone to a good home!

Clear skies!

Neil

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesF said:

They'll pry my 12.5mm and 18mm BGOs out of my cold, dead hands.  I have the full set, but these two are particular favourites.

James

I don’t have the 18mm yet. You’re welcome to my second born child and whatever major organs Dave doesn’t want in exchange for it ;) 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

My latest contribution to the FLO pension scheme a nice SW Solar Quest mount, obviously after a few sunny days it's wet and windy today.

Dave

Solar-Quest-1.png.24a6f37347dd795f8b3a565d23d868f8.png

Solar-Quest-2.png.046af1cbec3b80d399694311a554e456.png

Solar-Quest-3.png.1b0a87b222f90640b5460a2fb186c223.png

You'll love the SolarQuest mount Dave.  I was sceptical but picked up a used one and have been constantly surprised by how good it is.  Now negotiating a LS60 DS to go with it.

Works a treat with the ZS66 and Lunt Wedge.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AdeKing said:

You'll love the SolarQuest mount Dave.  I was sceptical but picked up a used one and have been constantly surprised by how good it is.  Now negotiating a LS60 DS to go with it.

Hi Ade, hope it suits my LS60DS it's a bit weighty, on the question of weight, how do you balance it ? I've only had a quick skim through the manual so it may mention it somewhere.

Dave

You can't do it normally as the sensor is attached to the altitude axis which can't be released.

I resorted to moving the scope and dovetail on a pencil until I found the balance point and then marking the balance point on the dovetail.

Then I make sure that the mark on the dovetail is roughly central in the clamp on the mount.

Not ideal, but has been good enough for me.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

My latest contribution to the FLO pension scheme a nice SW Solar Quest mount, obviously after a few sunny days it's wet and windy today.

Dave

Solar-Quest-2.png.046af1cbec3b80d399694311a554e456.png

Ooh!  Can we use your photo for our product page please?  Pretty please ?

The current stock photo is pants and it'll be a while before we can set one up for a photo. 

Steve 

1 minute ago, FLO said:

Ooh!  Can we use your photo for our product page please?  Pretty please ?

The current stock photo is pants and it'll be a while before we can set one up for a photo. 

Fell free, I can take a better one if needed, can't do much else ATM weather being like it is.

Dave

18 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

A great big thank you to Dave,@F15Rulesfor allowing me to persuade him to part with his 12.5mm Baader Genuine Ortho! For a small cash sum, my first born child and first option on my major organs in the event of my death, Dave agreed to part with this lovely eyepiece. I’m not saying it was hard for Dave to let this eyepiece go but it was so tightly packaged that I had to call a locksmith out to get it open. But in all seriousness, thank you, Dave! Can’t wait to try it :D

C1C995B4-821F-438F-8E1A-B88BFEDDAD97.thumb.jpeg.ef594c58e2d844cd80179b5955704118.jpeg

@Littleguy80  They are nice eyepieces. I purchased the 'other' one from @F15Rules, then someone asked I knew asked me if I was selling it... and I did. I replaced it with a Circle-T 12.5mm Ortho a few months later.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Philip R said:

@Littleguy80  They are nice eyepieces. I purchased the 'other' one from @F15Rules, then someone asked I knew asked me if I was selling it... and I did. I replaced it with a Circle-T 12.5mm Ortho a few months later.

Thanks Philip. How did the Circle T compare? I have a 4mm Circle T Ortho which I really like 

Oh my, such a pretty box!

A.thumb.jpg.897a5d070486fa5e97cb3917e7df5cd7.jpg 

My Baader 8-24mm zoom is great but I just wanted to tease a wee bit more detail out of the planets. My 4.7mm ES 82 degree ep is just a bit too much magnification (320x) and a bit fuzzy under the majority of conditions, so I took a guess that the 6.5mm Morpheus would be the maximum focal length for planets, giving me 230x in the 12 inch Dob.

C.thumb.jpg.72573f50c545db18a7ae23353c8d7372.jpg

Amazingly huge eye lens, must be like looking through the porthole on a spaceship!

B.thumb.jpg.4879650bf977e8b213157dd490550a9d.jpg

Can't wait to try it.!!! ?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Oh my, such a pretty box!

A.thumb.jpg.897a5d070486fa5e97cb3917e7df5cd7.jpg 

My Baader 8-24mm zoom is great but I just wanted to tease a wee bit more detail out of the planets. My 4.7mm ES 82 degree ep is just a bit too much magnification (320x) and a bit fuzzy under the majority of conditions, so I took a guess that the 6.5mm Morpheus would be the maximum focal length for planets, giving me 230x in the 12 inch Dob.

C.thumb.jpg.72573f50c545db18a7ae23353c8d7372.jpg

Amazingly huge eye lens, must be like looking through the porthole on a spaceship!

B.thumb.jpg.4879650bf977e8b213157dd490550a9d.jpg

Can't wait to try it.!!! ?

They are really nicely packaged eyepieces. I love my 12.5mm Morpheus. I think the 6mm is next on my ever growing shopping list. 

• Like 1

I received some new hardware for occultation timing (for integrating with oacapture) today, but these were also very kindly included:

sofia-mission-patches.jpg

Having explained what they're for, my daughter is way beyond impressed :D

James

• Like 2

Just received from the US this starlight feather touch retrofit fine focuser for my Takahashi Epsilon (not a fan of the Takahashi mef-3 fine focuser add on so hoping the feather touch works well)

8C9FFB96-4A40-44A1-B1B3-6700628C6E9A.thumb.jpeg.9c592458a4a02bc8a8261ed8cede8f09.jpeg

Now I just need to work out how to fit it!

Edited by GavStar