Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

19 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Haha I nearly added words to the effect myself! It’s the last of my planned purchases ;) 

..but it's the unplanned ones that end up.costing the most!??

Dave

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

And just in time for Kelling, for the old foggie that I’m getting, a nice observing chair from RVO arrived just over an hour ago! :) 

237C07D4-24FD-4866-B6B1-843C2B29E88A.thumb.jpeg.84021ffb7691309a56b2d6f8a55bcd83.jpeg

I have one of these too, very comfy, just be careful if you push back against it when moving about, it can get interesting!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

False alarm :( i thought my baby scope was back but this is what was inside #Gutted ... on a separate note, i didn't order this so not sure why i've got it.

false.thumb.jpg.03a5e4d14feb73cece0bc50df7a407fa.jpg

Funnily enough, a butt was a recent sort-of-astro acquisition for me - rain was gushing down the back of the new Dobhouse, so I put on a gutter and butt!

Doug.

• Haha 1

On 04/09/2018 at 09:13, Gina said:

Nice boxes but we want to see what's in them! ?

Finally got it built last night - only just remembered to get a pic as I was leaving the house this morning, so it has my daughter in it (ready for her first day back).

ad2n44.jpg

Hoping to get first light soon, but the forecast for tonight is not good.  Was also slightly disappointed to see the scope comes with the same budget 'Super 10' and Super 25' eyepieces which came with my old Explorer 130.  I am trying (unsuccessfully) to resist the temptation to buy new eyepieces just yet.  I cannot stretch to Televue's, but have my eye on a couple of Denkmeiers at the moment.

Edited to actually include the picture!

Edited by cv01jw
To include photo
  • Like 4

Freshly released (Sept. 4th) and arrived today: the "Interstellarum Deep Sky Guide", a companion to the Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas (the same size; at the moment, in German language only)

DSC_0790.thumb.JPG.e879334c9674c1917bf06dea5019f51b.JPG

1729 two-colour composites (blue-red) from the POSS II/DSS, 821 drawings, matched with the pages of the IsDSA, as shown below:

DSC_0787.thumb.JPG.87aa6542cbbd715b719f438769a36f3d.JPG

Added are short descriptions, the localisation of the DSO's on the IsDSA (bottom-right corner); scale indicators (1 arc min) at the b.-r. corner of the POSS plates, recommendations of filters and magnifications. No data as magnitude, surface brightness, size etc.

The very detailed drawings were made by Uwe Glahn and Ronald Stoyan (the publisher), two German doyens of Deep Sky observers, at large and very large scopes:

DSC_0788.thumb.JPG.b270d0fbb51c5cb2312a00cc3d35366c.JPG

I'm hoping for some clear nights during the new moon week to put the guide into good use. Later on I'll post a more detailed review.

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Like 8

Box full of BST Starguiders arrived this afternoon. Unfortunately the 8mm is awaiting stock so should be with me soon.. Cheers FLO. ? _20180906_190048.thumb.JPG.2268d4c2a83a5450b54117866a4a547f.JPG

Also a 2" nose piece to m42, so can get my dslr onto the baby frac now. Good day for deliveries. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

Freshly released (Sept. 4th) and arrived today: the "Interstellarum Deep Sky Guide", a companion to the Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas (the same size; at the moment, in German language only)

DSC_0790.thumb.JPG.e879334c9674c1917bf06dea5019f51b.JPG

1729 two-colour composites (blue-red) from the POSS II/DSS, 821 drawings, matched with the pages of the IsDSA, as shown below:

DSC_0787.thumb.JPG.87aa6542cbbd715b719f438769a36f3d.JPG

Added are short descriptions, the localisation of the DSO's on the IsDSA (bottom-right corner); scale indicators (1 arc min) at the b.-r. corner of the POSS plates, recommendations of filters and magnifications. No data as magnitude, surface brightness, size etc.

The very detailed drawings were made by Uwe Glahn and Ronald Stoyan (the publisher), two German doyens of Deep Sky observers, at large and very large scopes:

DSC_0788.thumb.JPG.b270d0fbb51c5cb2312a00cc3d35366c.JPG

I'm hoping for some clear nights during the new moon week to put the guide into good use. Later on I'll post a more detailed review.

Stephan

That looks excellent Stephan, not cheap though I bet!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

That looks excellent Stephan, not cheap though I bet!

The paper version is sold for 80€ by oculum; not too expensive, IMO. The field version was produced only for supporters of the crowdfunding project - 517 persons; the price was 180€.

Stephan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ags said:

I can't help feeling I "need" all the ES 82° 1.25" eyepieces. Even though I clearly don't...

Off course you do, don't we all!

But I am still trying to find that little white lie I need to tell myself that I can believe ??

After three years in the waiting, finally got the parts to fit an eyepiece to my Capenewise 200, now let`s see if all the negatives told about it can be false, at least for mine.

Needed an extra 35mm extension before it would focus, lucky I had one then!

So far so good, terrestrial views that is.

chaz

Capenewise200.JPG

Edited by chaz2b

Came home from an all-day inburgeringsexamen (Dutch immigration exam) to find a delivery waiting for me.

My ST80 is too good for a SkyWatcher extension tube, so today I got a 20cm Berlebach UNI extension tube.

Actually, the only reason I didn't get the slightly cheaper SkyWatcher one is that its thread is slightly recessed and the Berlebach Report bolt will not fully engaged - @Helen had a narrow escape with her solar scope.

Anyway the Berlebach UNI one looks much nicer! And now the tripod has a much better eyepiece height and more doorway-friendly leg spread.

I can't tell you anything about the exam in connection with the geheimhoudingsplicht!

IMG-20180907-WA0002.jpeg

Edited by Ags
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Ags said:

Came home from an all-day inburgeringsexamen (Dutch immigration exam) to find a delivery waiting for me...

...I can't tell you anything about the exam in connection with the geheimhoudingsplicht!

Vorsprung Durch Technik springs to mind - Audi TV commercial.

Edited by Philip R
  • Haha 1

Nice shiny new Fujiyama 12.5mm ortho..

I've been looking for a second Baader Genuine Ortho  12.5mm to make a binoviewer pair for some time, with no success. So I went for the Fuji to see if it will work with my BGO. 

However, the BGO is longer than the Fuji so I have my doubts it will work. If not, I'll buy a second Fujiyama and probably sell my BGO?.

The Fujiyamas are lovely eyepieces though, and optically there's nothing to choose between them and the BGOs..

Interestingly the Japan made Fujiyama still use a box which is very like older high quality orthos and pseudo Matsuyama's..The photo shows the new 2018 Fuji 12.5mm box with a Parks Gold Pseudo Masuyama 3.8mm Anniversary Edition box from the 1990s..Uncannily similar!

Dave

IMG_20180910_190420869.jpg

IMG_20180910_190342789.jpg

• Like 3