SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

7 hours ago, Stu said:

Handy having knobs rather than the Allen bolts, makes changing mount much easier. Are they a John special?

They certainly make life easier for removing and assembling it all! ? 

Edited by RiponJas
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Hi Ade. May i ask a question about your new arrival?.

In this photo, i have circled part of the mount in red. It appears to be touching the mount and from the looks of it, allows the scope to point no higher up.

Can i assume that the mount is calibrated for Northern hemisphere solar observing during the height of summer (maximum Dec for the Sun in this part of the world)?

solarquest..jpg

Hi Luke, 

The part circled is the heliofind sensor and contains the four photodiodes that the mount uses to sense and track the sun.

The photo does make it look like the sensor is touching the mount, but thats just down to perspective and a shadow being cast on the mount.  

I've just rotated the Alt axis round and can confirm that the mount reaches 90 degrees with space to spare.

IMG_4477.JPG

A nice man from DPD has just turned up, although he's not the postman he did bring me a shiny new ZWO ASiair and a ZWO ASi120mm mini.

I've had a quick fiddle with the ASiair and it looks quite promising. It seems to dumb down your available options, but if you're looking to simplify your setup, it could be worth a go.  I'm going to use mine when I'm away travelling in the van. I have an unrealistic vision of me sitting my the camp fire while I control things from my iPhone. 

The ASi120mm is already working much better than the QHY5L-II-M i have. The USB C Connector seems like a much better idea for astro cameras than the usual USB A. The downside is I have to buy yet another cable, so my matching set of Lindy cromo cables is maintained. 

On 31/08/2018 at 19:45, LukeSkywatcher said:

It wont be the postman who brings it, but by Sunday i will have Netflix (the all inclusive deal for 10.99 a month). Im sick of friends talking about all the great stuff that ive never seen.

TV is rubbish (all 300+ channels).

You will now have another 100+ of rubbish too, at extra cost....... or will you?
You will have to wait until Sunday.

2 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Haha I nearly added words to the effect myself! It’s the last of my planned purchases ;) 

I've got all the EPs I want (I think), plus recently the Dob and its Dobhouse.  Is that it?  NO, 'cos now I fancy a better frac!  I'm eyeing up an ES ED Apo 102mm.  It truly never ends....................

Doug.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, cloudsweeper said:

I've got all the EPs I want (I think), plus recently the Dob and its Dobhouse.  Is that it?  NO, 'cos now I fancy a better frac!  I'm eyeing up an ES ED Apo 102mm.  It truly never ends....................

Doug.

I’ve had quite a year for purchases so will need to be good for a bit. I’d like a widefield frac. Ideally something that could be used as a nice light travel setup. I’m really chuffed with my dob setup though. I feel very lucky to have the equipment that I do!

• Like 1

The postman has just dropped off my Sky-Watcher Evostar 72ED DS-Pro OTA and OVL field flattener. ?

unfortunately I fly out to Spain in the morning so won't get a chance to use it till I'm back, but something to look forward to when I get back home?

1 minute ago, Cozzy said:

The postman has just dropped off my Sky-Watcher Evostar 72ED DS-Pro OTA and OVL field flattener. ?

unfortunately I fly out to Spain in the morning so won't get a chance to use it till I'm back, but something to look forward to when I get back home?

Must be room for it in your hand luggage :D

James

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

Must be room for it in your hand luggage :D

James

James

I don't think SWMBO will agree with your a statement, I could send her round to you so you can ask for me?

Edited by Cozzy
typo