Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

not quite delivered yet, but will be monday.

ordered some 40,000 tick encoders from serge at astro devices. ordered on the 7th and all ready at my local delivery depo for monday. how good is that, serge is ace

• Like 4

Treated myself to a much needed case. We have a discount store called Harbor Freight. I picked this up today.

My 10 year old granddaughter showed she's fitting right in my tribe. I misplaced my flashlight, finally found it under some mail on the table.

Her comment, "maybe you should put your light in it, so you dont lose it, again!"20210711_150141.thumb.jpg.0f8a70442665585ef51688269755463a.jpg

• Like 9

Got a tripod and a mini-Dob mount which I will be giving to somebody for their birthday. I got a Dob eyepiece holder for myself.

Dinged up the holder and my Dob a bit because needed to use other screws and holes to install, but its all good.

tripod.jpg

combined.jpg

eyepiecetray.jpg

• Like 6

Not had a clear day here for more than 3 weeks, so being rather bored I decided to buy a small study set of meteorites.  I found it very interesting looking up the stories of how they were found and classified. I never thought I would have pieces of the Moon, Mars and 4Vesta in my hand. I decided to buy a small digital microscope for a closer look. I could only get a 2 mp scope but I was wowed with the views that popped up on my computer screen. The only problem was , like buying a beginners telescope, the stand that came with the microscope was only a degree above being useless. On to Amazon and I got a much better retort stand. Now I am completely hooked on meteorite collection and my bank balance is starting to groan.

31BEEF5B-C8E6-444A-8CB5-865A619D3E7B.jpeg

7FFC1341-5C96-487C-8FDB-05E0D7327633.jpeg

F83D7C71-0AB4-4E3A-869D-16B1E492F63F.jpeg

• Like 14

On 10/07/2021 at 17:52, faulksy said:

not quite delivered yet, but will be monday.

ordered some 40,000 tick encoders from serge at astro devices. ordered on the 7th and all ready at my local delivery depo for monday. how good is that, serge is ace

encoders came 😂

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, laudropb said:

Not had a clear day here for more than 3 weeks, so being rather bored I decided to buy a small study set of meteorites.  I found it very interesting looking up the stories of how they were found and classified. I never thought I would have pieces of the Moon, Mars and 4Vesta in my hand. I decided to buy a small digital microscope for a closer look. I could only get a 2 mp scope but I was wowed with the views that popped up on my computer screen. The only problem was , like buying a beginners telescope, the stand that came with the microscope was only a degree above being useless. On to Amazon and I got a much better retort stand. Now I am completely hooked on meteorite collection and my bank balance is starting to groan.

31BEEF5B-C8E6-444A-8CB5-865A619D3E7B.jpeg

7FFC1341-5C96-487C-8FDB-05E0D7327633.jpeg

F83D7C71-0AB4-4E3A-869D-16B1E492F63F.jpeg

I bought 2 òf these from FLO. Neither worked, so I got a full refund and free return.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

More great service from FLO. I ordered an ADM dual saddle for my Advance GT mount at 3pm friday and it turned up by noon saturday. Only just got it fitted but I'm very impressed with how solid it feels. The fitting instructions are a bit too complicated though. I found that, once I'd removed the motor cover, there was no need  to have done so - the two bolts holding the cast saddle to the mount would have been enough. However, it did mean I could add some grease to the cogs :)

Graeme

adm 1.JPG

adm2.JPG

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, Jerry Barnes said:

Just arrived, focuser, guide scope and camera.  I've got a little time to get them working before dark nights start again.

20210713_112416.jpg

20210713_151328.jpg

I got the same guidescope a while ago and it's taken till last friday to figure out the back focus with my zwo 290mm mini.  I eventually got it to focus properly with 13mm of the large extension visible behind the twist lock and the front element hardly wound out at all ( zwo asi120 and 290mm mini have 8.5mm from the sensor to the front of the black ring. The WO site states the uniguide needs 21.6mm back focus so 13mm of the extension is as near as anyone's likely to get). That was focussing on distant trees; I expect the front end will need adjustment when I eventually get skies clear enough to see some stars. Hope this is some use, there's very little online about achieving focus with these new UNIguide scopes. 

n.b. with both extensions fitted as in your photo there's plenty of body for the twist lock to grab onto.

Graeme 

• Like 2

an (quite) expensive piece of clear glass arrived today from Flo. Despite the warning on the packaging, tomorrow night i’m going to perform some tests to determine the best approach for capturing Luminance on M101 from my bortle 8/9 backyard - I’ll be pitting this against a regular L filter and a CLS looking for SNR vs bloating. 

Mark

425C4EE5-EBF5-40C5-BB64-57C71758883C.jpeg

• Like 8

On 29/06/2021 at 09:43, JeremyS said:
On 29/06/2021 at 09:43, JeremyS said:

After much deliberation, I went for the mirror version of the Baader 2-inch BBHS, rather than the prism

24B3635E-900A-4CAC-86CA-06CD486BEAAE.thumb.jpeg.1ad808f570f6598e76a9864691a0003d.jpeg

Was the deciding factor the Brilliant Baader Handle System Jeremy??:rolleyes2::glasses12::rolleyes2:

Dave

• Haha 4

I have had the orange lettering 10 mm Speer WALER for over a decade. Today it is joined by 4.9 and 13.4 mm siblings (sadly not orange lettering first editions).

SpeerWALER.thumb.jpg.af741fa95e7592732bcd70a31f8accbb.jpg

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, Ags said:

I have had the orange lettering 10 mm Speer WALER for over a decade. Today it is joined by 4.9 and 13.4 mm siblings (sadly not orange lettering first editions).

SpeerWALER.thumb.jpg.af741fa95e7592732bcd70a31f8accbb.jpg

Interesting eyepieces :thumbright:

I used to have the SW 24.7mm with orange engraving on it. That one was a 1.25 inch eyepiece so around 70 degrees AFoV.

• Like 3

I also got the 1.6x extension tube, so the 4.9 mm can operate as a 3 mm. Looking forward to trying it on some doubles 😀

@John I have heard that the SW 82 are a cut above the SW 70's. No way of knowing if that is true...

looking for the SW 17/78 and 7.2/82 eventually!

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ags said:

@John I have heard that the SW 82 are a cut above the SW 70's. No way of knowing if that is true...

I've read that the shorter focal length SW's (which are the 82's) are quite a lot better than the 70's as well.

My 24.7mm was my very first wide angle eyepiece. It worked fine in the F/10 scopes that I had back then but when I tried it in an F/6 150mm newtonian, the outer 30% of the field of view showed noticeable astigmatism.

Stick to the 82's I think. The SW zoom had quite a reputation as well.

• Like 3