Jump to content

30sec_exposures_2021.jpg.48851b1871a4bf9500ebd53c3e790d81.jpg

 

 

What did the postman bring?


nightfisher
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, jetstream said:

One more thing before it appears as if Im hijacking your news lol!  I hear Mr Nichols mirrors are smooth, a requirement in my books. Off fishing for walleye.

Yes, that definitely seems to be one of the benefits of a Nichol mirror Gerry. I had a 14” in my Sumerian Alkaid and it was lovely, excellent contrast and low scatter. Would like another at some point.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Captain Magenta said:

Now I’m committed to the Dob build! (Courtesy of John Nichol)

18A3FEFD-3493-465C-AE12-4378CF380C86.thumb.jpeg.e3f8c968723b46d4bbf3d540dd84042f.jpeg

0D7A6B71-9E78-4D94-BB29-9F0AAB47A4B0.thumb.jpeg.239b78cac746c114c3907dbcd32392b8.jpeg

DC0DDDFF-4EB3-4430-A896-48EFC7D6D889.thumb.jpeg.b1c36614bcdfc895f348615c9eb3db57.jpeg

9815AD82-07F9-45CF-989F-CF4C98D683EC.thumb.jpeg.63a649a7376c488f55c0c5b2e0147278.jpeg

8CC38941-56AF-492D-8EA8-F1979CF63090.thumb.jpeg.e6814708e82b7c965ff9ee021c27bbe2.jpeg

Looks terrific. I’m glad it wasn’t delivered by Nick Lowe 👍🏻😊

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, garryblueboy said:

Postman just dropped off these two beauties hopefully will get some nice clear nights soon to try them out .

 

420BFA09-2B18-4E39-9E23-F68EA4876F7A.jpeg

8234F24C-2798-4BEF-92ED-0AC52F8E3907.jpeg

nice straws 😇😆

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Captain Magenta said:

20” f/3.5 … there was a 24” available too but that’s a little too far for the time being. I seriously hope it doesn’t make my 12” redundant though 

that is awsome. made up for you. hope your buying sips for that ?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Delivered today a new to me 2" Celestron CG5 tripod via ABS.

IMG_20210602_132030.thumb.jpg.5a8e7098552474c439d55cf9716bae5d.jpg

This is mahoosive compared to my 1.75" EQ5 tripod so hopefully it will be more stable.

My understanding was that the Celestron CG5 is equivalent to the EQ5 so imagine my surprise when I found that the well in the top plate looked like it was dual fit EQ5/EQ6.

IMG_20210602_200245.thumb.jpg.7de700f5ed4c74ef3a11ed07d2899bc7.jpg

This was confirmed when my recently acquired Geoptik EQ6 to EQ5 adaptor fitted on top nicely.  Thankfully I picked that up used from @John

IMG_20210602_200340.thumb.jpg.4fd09d9d53063987dc209a6fe62cd1b9.jpg

The adaptor certainly doesn't fit the well on the top of my EQ5 extension pillar with the north peg removed, so I'm well chuffed as this should fit the soon to be acquired AZ100 without the need of any mods.  

Edit: Well apart from either getting an M10 to M12 thread adaptor for the central bolt or slightly enlarging the central hole anyway.

All in all very pleased indeed and feeling like the cat that got the cream 😁

Edited by AdeKing
Spelling and more info
  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jetstream said:

The Veil through your 20" from dark skies will make you gasp...

And that, is something I need to see one day! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jetstream said:

I find my 24" too bright on the moon and planets whereas the 15" is perfect for that role, as your 12" is. I just cant believe the difference in image "brightness" between the 15" and 24", its mind boggling. The Veil through your 20" from dark skies will make you gasp...

i agree with that gerry

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AdeKing said:

Delivered today a new to me 2" Celestron CG5 tripod via ABS.

IMG_20210602_132030.thumb.jpg.5a8e7098552474c439d55cf9716bae5d.jpg

This is mahoosive compared to my 1.75" EQ5 tripod so hopefully it will be more stable.

My understanding was that the Celestron CG5 is equivalent to the EQ5 so imagine my surprise when I found that the well in the top plate looked like it was dual fit EQ5/EQ6.

IMG_20210602_200245.thumb.jpg.7de700f5ed4c74ef3a11ed07d2899bc7.jpg

This was confirmed when my recently acquired Geoptik EQ6 to EQ5 adaptor fitted on top nicely.  Thankfully I picked that up used from @John

IMG_20210602_200340.thumb.jpg.4fd09d9d53063987dc209a6fe62cd1b9.jpg

The adaptor certainly doesn't fit the well on the top of my EQ5 extension pillar with the north peg removed, so I'm well chuffed as this should fit the soon to be acquired AZ100 without the need of any mods.  

Edit: Well apart from either getting an M10 to M12 thread adaptor for the central bolt or slightly enlarging the central hole anyway.

All in all very pleased indeed and feeling like the cat that got the cream 😁

I was sold this as a EQ6 tripod  which suspiciously looks like your CG5 one I bought the adapter but had a devil of a job fitting it.  I could not fit the nut with the thread inside but a kind gentleman on here made me this, so my setup looks like this after a bit of a tidy up.

EQ6a.jpg

Centre bolt.JPG

Paint job 2.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, jetstream said:

I find my 24" too bright on the moon and planets whereas the 15" is perfect for that role, as your 12" is. I just cant believe the difference in image "brightness" between the 15" and 24", its mind boggling. The Veil through your 20" from dark skies will make you gasp...

Would a 15” aperture mask on your 24”, for the times when 24” is too bright, not render the 15” scope redundant?
Or are other factors more important? Leading you to keep both?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, globular said:

Would a 15” aperture mask on your 24”, for the times when 24” is too bright, not render the 15” scope redundant?
Or are other factors more important? Leading you to keep both?

My 15" is a superb scope and takes higher mag than the 24", it is so easy to use- left assembled, wheeled out and collimated in 5 minutes...and it doesn't weigh over 300 lbs and need an 8 foot step ladder. Its my favourite scope actually. Mind you the 24" does things the 15" cant- planetary nebula explode in the big one and I get about 2/3 of the actual bubble arc in the Bubble nebula and more...

The 15" actually renders my smaller scopes redundant, the TSA120 excepted, oh and the H130 is a keeper, another favourite scope.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 31/05/2021 at 19:29, Pixies said:

Oh no! The wife is going to kill me!

image.png.44393d68bbf58afd258f69a88fd94210.png

Technically it wasn't delivered, I had to pick it up myself.

Can I have first dibs when that happens!?😈

chaz

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also forgot to post that in addition to getting the ADM upgrade for HEQ5. I also bought 2 x Stella Mira Dovetail bars from FLO. Really nice vixen dovetail bars (note I bought these before purchasing the dual ADM saddle).

In fairness I don't think I need to upgrade to Losmandy bars just yet

 

ADM with Stella Mira Dovetal.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Just arrived, a tad over 48 hrs from ordering, and it works! Now to collimate it.

ive printed a v block for the laser and well blow me! It doesn’t need collimating…spot on! Literally.

 

chaz 

12DA6CB5-0DC0-4E7A-B703-3ED0F004DE35.jpeg

5783CC3C-AFF0-4B12-93B1-00F9D54D6229.jpeg

Edited by Chaz2b
  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

I was sold this as a EQ6 tripod  which suspiciously looks like your CG5 one I bought the adapter but had a devil of a job fitting it.  I could not fit the nut with the thread inside but a kind gentleman on here made me this, so my setup looks like this after a bit of a tidy up.

EQ6a.jpg

Centre bolt.JPG

Paint job 2.jpg

I remember that thread now you've linked to it.

I actually purchased this as an EQ5 tripod with beefier legs as the seller could only confirm that it would fit a CG5 or EQ5 mount.

As I will need an 8" extension and already have a selection of EQ5 and EQ6 extension tubes I was intending to make up a combined extension  by putting the EQ5 base on the bottom of the the 8" extension and an EQ6 top plate on it to connect the AZ100 to.

I got the Geoptik adaptor as I initially planned to get a new EQ6 tripod to replace my white EQ5 one then this one popped up.

I'm not too worried about fitting the AZ100 to it directly but was surprised that it looked like I could with a suitably sized centre bolt.

That is a lovely adaptor that you've had made up though, I wish I had those fabricating skills.

I've got a short M10 to M12 adaptor on the way and if it doesn't work then I'll just proceed as above.

Glad you got yours sorted out in the end.

Ade

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Chaz2b said:

Now to collimate it.

Do you mean to collimate the laser? I have the same model and I don’t see screws to adjust he beam. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, barbulo said:

Do you mean to collimate the laser? I have the same model and I don’t see screws to adjust he beam. 

I think the subject was the OTA.

My similar laser had collimation screws under the labels.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.