Jump to content

sgl_imaging_challenge_6_banner_jupiter_2021.jpg.eacb9f0c2f90fdaafda890646b3fc199.jpg

 

 

What did the postman bring?


nightfisher
 Share

Recommended Posts

Pentax XF Zoom for Solar Ha use! I nearly told my wife when I got the solar scope that I wouldn’t need any extra eyepieces for it. Thank goodness I didn’t say anything so foolish!43BE345E-17A3-400D-B717-903442109F1A.thumb.jpeg.57985098346f377de15e8dce23300e89.jpeg

  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Daf1983 said:

Heq5 last week, evostar 80ed today👍 After a three month wait, my imaging rig is all ready to go (once I learn how to use it🙈)!

PXL_20210519_151800832.jpg

About time 🙂

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

This straight in from aunty FLO! Yep came with clouds, but I was clever…opened it upside down to keep the clouds in and managed to get them into the bag supplied! Will let them out later.

30C5B1FB-4CDD-4997-A928-D1936ABA5922.jpegNow here’s a puzzle, I didn’t order these, no invoice with them so I can’t confirm if I ordered them in my sleep! Anyone know the address?

 

chaz

F4A6CF1A-B7FB-42CE-B158-487AF4C1C6C4.jpeg

F845161B-2EEE-4F2E-BE51-224CE3D56244.jpeg

Edited by Chaz2b
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Chaz2b said:

This straight in from aunty FLO! Yep came with clouds, but I was clever…opened it upside down to keep the clouds in and managed to get them into the bag supplied! Will let them out later.

30C5B1FB-4CDD-4997-A928-D1936ABA5922.jpegNow here’s a puzzle, I didn’t order these, no invoice with them so I can’t confirm if I ordered them in my sleep! Anyone know the address?

 

chaz

F4A6CF1A-B7FB-42CE-B158-487AF4C1C6C4.jpeg

F845161B-2EEE-4F2E-BE51-224CE3D56244.jpeg

A search on the postcode suggests this company, but there may be others with the same postcode ... there are a few reviews which suggest previous mystery packages have come from there ...

https://cannock.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/super-smart-service-ltd-25132118.html

Heather

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

A search on the postcode suggests this company, but there may be others with the same postcode ... there are a few reviews which suggest previous mystery packages have come from there ...

https://cannock.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/super-smart-service-ltd-25132118.html

Heather

Thank you Heather, being an ex postie I should’ve thought of that myself! Doh.

Possibly a forwarding company that stocks goods of sellers from abroad? But it does mention in their blurb land transport rather than eyepiece cover suppliers…Hmmm

chaz

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

So I can fit the 6x30 finder on the FOA-60(Q) and remove it easily... a Takahashi FQR-1 quick release finder shoe.

Plus, although I have the tube cradle, I want to try mounting the FC-100DC on the AZ100 using these More Blue tube rings and dovetail... very lightweight 👍

 

AA0DBC86-7125-4CD0-AD41-681FDC5260A1.jpeg

B303570E-9217-4215-A727-9EDB3AC130B1.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 18/05/2021 at 20:42, johninderby said:

Hope you will be as impressed with the zoom as I was for solar Ha. 👍🏻

I wonder if anyone can clear up a bit of a mystery for me?

I know many users of the XF zoom rave about its' performance for solar viewing..I don't do solar myself, but I did buy one of these some years ago for night time viewing and absolutely hated it...great globs of purple chromatic aberration, and not nice at all!

I was frankly amazed, as I had owned the Pentax XW 8-24mm "big brother" to the XF and it was truly superb - very close indeed (apart from field of view) to the fixed length Pentax XW range.

I was using longish focal length scopes at the time (F9 to F12) which only made it all the more surprising how bad the XFs' performance was! 

Anyone have any ideas why this should be the case (the scopes were good quality and the XWs worked excellently in the same scopes). Or did I just get a lemon?

Thanks for any insight:glasses12:👍

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The XF zoom is optimised for spotter scopes and corrects for distortions in daylight but just the wrong type of corrections for regular astro night time use.  Astro eyepieces correct for different things. Just a horrible night time eyepiece that shows loads of distortion. However it is brilliant for solar Ha where you don’t see distortions. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mr Postie brought me a "vintage" Vixen LV 5mm high power eyepiece in really nice condition.

This has a fairly narrow 45degree fov, but has 20mm of eye relief and is very comfortable in use. It will be used mainly for splitting doubles and planetary/ lunar observing, and will give the following magnifications in my FS128:

Native (FL 1040mm) - 204x

With WO 1.6x Barlow - 333x

With Baader 2.25x Barlow - 468x

The last combination will only get rare use here in the UK, I fear!😄

The photos are stock photos, but the actual unit I have looks identical..

Dave

s-l300.jpg

554497-1.jpg

  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The XF zoom is optimised for spotter scopes and corrects for distortions in daylight but just the wrong type of corrections for regular astro night time use.  Astro eyepieces correct for different things. Just a horrible night time eyepiece that shows loads of distortion. However it is brilliant for solar Ha where you don’t see distortions. 

Thanks John, makes total sense!

Dave

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, HollyHound said:

So I can fit the 6x30 finder on the FOA-60(Q) and remove it easily... a Takahashi FQR-1 quick release finder shoe.

Slight change of plan... the FQR-1 is too long to fit on the FOA-60 small focuser, without obstructing the focus lock knob, so instead I’ve put it on the FC-76DCU and used the smaller More Blue quick release shoe instead on the FOA-60 👍

2916AFEC-6A47-40F1-9341-297C46389B49.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I bought an Astro-Tech 115 APO. I was happy that it came with a case. It did not come with other stuff.

 1110242873_Explore2-inch99percentdiagonal.jpg.fefc00270c2e892138312c96e0f861ce.jpg

Explore Scientific 2-inch 99% diagonal.

This is for my ES-102.

1060081005_StellarvueD1027A90-degprismwfocusser.jpg.6572f3d270bad4c0a1af10a59177e776.jpg

Stellarvue right angle with focusser.

723611611_Not-meademeade14mm82degreewaterproof.png.4f9a86f0abd6e360f69726141990baa8.png

Meade Not-Meade unbranded 14 mm waterproof 82-degree ocular from Astronomics.

 

Edited by mikemarotta
fixing
  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, HollyHound said:

So I can fit the 6x30 finder on the FOA-60(Q) and remove it easily... a Takahashi FQR-1 quick release finder shoe.

Plus, although I have the tube cradle, I want to try mounting the FC-100DC on the AZ100 using these More Blue tube rings and dovetail... very lightweight 👍

 

AA0DBC86-7125-4CD0-AD41-681FDC5260A1.jpeg

B303570E-9217-4215-A727-9EDB3AC130B1.jpeg

ARRRGGG!! I just purchased rings for my 102 which I thought were sleek and light but, I see those are a boatload lighter after looking on their site and I like them even more!!

Oh no, I have to stop looking at this thread! It looks like I'll have a second set of rings now.

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Sunshine said:

ARRRGGG!! I just purchased rings for my 102 which I thought were sleek and light but, I see those are a boatload lighter after looking on their site and I like them even more!!

Oh no, I have to stop looking at this thread! It looks like I'll have a second set of rings now.

They are nice rings, quite lightweight. Haven’t tried them mounted yet, but seem good.

Ha ha, this thread is extremely dangerous indeed for “ideas” 🤣

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, HollyHound said:

Slight change of plan... the FQR-1 is too long to fit on the FOA-60 small focuser, without obstructing the focus lock knob, so instead I’ve put it on the FC-76DCU and used the smaller More Blue quick release shoe instead on the FOA-60 👍

2916AFEC-6A47-40F1-9341-297C46389B49.jpeg

Does the Tak FQR-1 base fit into the More Blue base OK, Gary?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.