Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

21 hours ago, Chaz2b said:

The dream machine has arrived! I’m very happy now after a near year of health scares, I’m alright, I had a mri scan to prove it!

so along with my Lunt HW 1.25”…c’mon ye sun!

This now means my Celestron C80 ED R is up for grabs, will place it in the ads tomorrow.

chaz

C619ADDD-A71B-45FB-9F8B-4D225D19EDE8.jpeg

Congratulations. What a great way to celebrate your good health! They are wonderful telescopes. 

• Like 4

A very nice pair of Vortex Bino's arrived today thanks to Auntie FLO  😃

I got these mainly to check out the wildlife that surrounds me...they are tack sharp with great contrast and come with a nifty harness...will give them a bash for astro even though they are just 8X42mm  :bino2:

bino1.jpg

bino2.jpg

• Like 19

A new RA erecting finderscope, IR cut filter and ZWO IR 850nm pass filter. Thanks FLO. Got fed up for arching and bending my neck over the RDF. Preparing for the late Summer appearances of Jupiter and Saturn.

35A06C4D-239E-4674-AD0C-2AF0D358EAC7.jpeg

Edited by rob_r
  • Like 17

8 minutes ago, rob_r said:

A new RA erecting finderscope, IR cut filter and ZWO IR 850nm pass filter. Thanks FLO. Got fed up for arching and bending my neck over the RDF. Preparing for the late Summer appearances of Jupiter and Saturn.

Definitely getting one of those finders .. and such a  reasonable price 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Definitely getting one of those finders .. and such a  reasonable price 

Heard lots of good things about it on these forums. It is a solid piece of kit and feels well made. Just need a clear night now. 

• Like 3

Hi, here is my new little baby scope :) a Heritage 150p.
It was a long wait ! I had hoped it would come with just little baby clouds, instead 8/8 with howling gale and lashing rain :( 

This is only partly unboxed, further on in I am puzzled that the locking screws adjacent to the collimation screws are loose,,  not nipped up , some reading up on collimation may be needed !
BabyScope.jpg.d18f3b8b94f888aa083b990f8d453297.jpg

• Like 18

Another travel kit addition - fabric accessories "shelf" for the tripod. Will add a bit of stability and hopefully lower the centre of gravity too once it has some stuff in it. 

image.thumb.png.3459c21e1478140f30285033bbbda3c5.png

• Like 11

Took delivery from the postie of my long waited (10 years to find) Meade 5000 SWA 40mm. With thanks to @coliea its a beautie!. Thanks ... Very happy. The quest continues for the remainder to be found.

IMG_3317.JPG

• Like 13

21 hours ago, badhex said:

Very interested to hear about the manual panning upgrade - is it for AZ axis? Is the intention just to use the mount completely unpowered in this scenario? 

Yes - precisely. I love my AZGTi but the Az clutch feels a bit under engineered, it’s a bit fiddly to use and, although I haven’t actually heard of it happening, feels to me like it might wear or worse still strip if repeatedly slackened & tightened. My plan is to lock it off and use either the motors for everything, or completely manual mode like an AZ5.   After 1 day I’d say It’s lovely & smooth so I think this will work out. 

Here it is with an old Prinz 60mm on it - the whole thing is so solid it’s amazing. The only slop is actually in the tripod legs.

7BA95376-CEE1-4E20-A144-D1A543FBDCEE.jpeg

Edited by SuburbanMak
  • Like 11

4 hours ago, SuburbanMak said:

feels to me like it might wear or worse still strip if repeatedly slackened & tightened. My plan is to lock it off and use either the motors for everything, or completely manual mode like an AZ5.   After 1 day I’d say It’s lovely & smooth so I think this will work out. 

Really glad it's working out, I'm inspired. Regarding the threads stripping, to be honest I wouldn't be surprised. I was trying to find the best way to pack mine into the travel bag but found that the AZ clutch knob was always in the way. I perhaps rather rashly unscrewed it completely to see if it could be easily removed and found that it is actually a very long thin bolt with only the last 10-15 mm threaded, and they are quite fine threads.

• Like 2

On 08/05/2021 at 16:26, callisto said:

I got these mainly to check out the wildlife that surrounds me...they are tack sharp with great contrast and come with a nifty harness...will give them a bash for astro even though they are just 8X42mm  :bino2:

bino1.jpg

bino2.jpg

got the 10x50 version. amazing bins

• Like 4

On 01/05/2021 at 07:51, Dave61 said:

Only put in the order yesterday at FLO and just delivered now, all I can say is... WOW what a thing of beauty this is.

5AC91835-094E-4FF6-8F04-5DC8E4F4948D.jpg

F7A6A448-74E2-4AA0-8D74-F85453E4EBDD.jpg

F4BB853E-DB6F-4721-909F-50D01887DA7D.jpg

D82E7A8E-1BC9-4B49-81B1-214FF8E617AD.jpg

This is a pretty looking scope!

• Like 1

bino1.jpg

bino2.jpg

Great looking bins!👍

Don't underestimate what a good pair of 42mms will show you at night..my little Vixen 8.5x32mm roofs are really nice low power nightime bins, especially on clusters and starfields☺️.

Enjoy!

Dave

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, rob_r said:

my wifes came for her little 10" dob on friday. really nice finder

• Like 1

bino1.jpg

bino2.jpg

sorry mine were the diamondback hd. same awsome thing though

• Like 2

3 hours ago, badhex said:

Really glad it's working out, I'm inspired. Regarding the threads stripping, to be honest I wouldn't be surprised. I was trying to find the best way to pack mine into the travel bag but found that the AZ clutch knob was always in the way. I perhaps rather rashly unscrewed it completely to see if it could be easily removed and found that it is actually a very long thin bolt with only the last 10-15 mm threaded, and they are quite fine threads.

Yes , i watched a YouTube Vid by "the Lazy Astronomer " and he took one apart ...i noticed how thin that thread was 

• Like 1

After a great PM conversation with @PadrePeace [based on this post] and a question about software, which turned out to be N.I.N.A., I'm no longer going to be leaving the laptop in the garden all night :D

PXL_20210510-Delivery.jpg.c2f2d426b24b37cab2fe70c9da65050e.jpg

and as I'm not currently running my Astroberry (I will learn one day), I've found a use for the WiFi dongle and will be swapping the M2 SSD out of the caddy and into the chassis this evening

• Like 3