SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Thanks to @fifeskies I took delivery today of a really nice condition Televue 2x Barlow. Been on the look out for a decent Barlow for a while so have a try at some nice close in lunar imaging/obs and planetary obs and imaging through my TMB. Figured given that the clear nights also seem to coincide with when the moon is brightest I may as well spend some time with it!

My first taste of black and green kit as well. Must say I the thing exudes quality. 

• Like 4

New toys for me and the 90mm achro :D

- Baader Semi-Apo filter

- Camera adapter for my micro 4/3rd for a play with astro (maybe, didnt get anything at all the other night need to try during the day in case it needs extension tubes!)

- Pocket Sky Atlas (jumbooooo!) and Sissy Hass double stars (both from sky and telescope direct via the States)

newv2.jpg

• Like 12

15 hours ago, Pixies said:

Thanks to @Stu1smartcookie

image.png.0e0cc566fb699ba5d5a7f6404f6c9262.png

The new bits are the AZ5 and ST80. The Manfrotto and diagonal I already had.

That was pretty much the kind of setup I’ve been thinking for a grab and go, looks great. I’ve ordered some 15x70’s instead to scratch the itch for now. Let us know how you get on. 

Edited by Stardaze
  • Like 1

A new-to-me but obviously used Skytee-2 mount which incuded the ADM upgraded saddles and the heavy duty tripod! It was all a bit..."lived in"...but an hour or two with WD40, Cif degreaser and some microfiber clothes worked wonders. I need to get some longer slo-mo controls (see wanted ad) but otherwise it's really, really good!

Ant

Skytee.jpg

• Like 19

Not quite from the postman, but the final part in my mid-life crisis upgrade!

After getting a second hand Meade Field Tripod, then an almost brand new Skywatcher AZ5 Mount (thanks @Dean Hale) I also splashed out on a new Skywatcher 150P OTA, luckily finding it in a shop in Austria that still had pre-price rise prices.

All that was missing was a 3/8 bolt to connect the AZ5 mount to the Meade Tripod. @wookie1965 very kindly donated me one that might do that job, but after over 2 weeks it still hasn't arrived, so I fear that's lost in the post. A few days ago I started working on plan B, and managed to find a local motor factors who could order a 3/8 threaded bar for me (they're fairly rare over here in Ireland as we use metric for bolts etc.). I got my hands on it today, all 5ft of it!

1100374080_ThreadedBar.thumb.jpg.e50fcf7182109c9bd5aa235f8a879c8c.jpg

Thankfully, a few minutes with a hacksaw and I had it down to a more manageable size, and added a nut to it to hold up the spreader for the tripod, and it all worked great...

706111187_BarandTripod.thumb.jpg.bcc6fc67397930329d353174849369c9.jpg

Which means I finally have my new setup complete, and it feels steady as a rock. I now just need to wait for some clear skies...

148444974_FullSetup.thumb.jpg.58057785e983c5cac0e2aceb2905b237.jpg

• Like 18

2 hours ago, Iced Tiger said:

My very first refractor, the new WO FLT 91, this is going to be my imaging telescope when I can get my hands on a Skywatcher mount.

7EB521A2-9470-4589-8DEF-2B9D5CEF8FDA.jpeg

622CF407-1E00-4B10-A00A-4C355F53D58D.jpeg

6FE1C272-6BE7-43D2-86D9-6D9E7744028B.jpeg

Nice and shiny, I do like the red colour.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jasonb said:

After getting a second hand Meade Field Tripod, then an almost brand new Skywatcher AZ5 Mount (thanks @Dean Hale) I also splashed out on a new Skywatcher 150P OTA, luckily finding it in a shop in Austria that still had pre-price rise prices.

All that was missing was a 3/8 bolt to connect the AZ5 mount to the Meade Tripod. @wookie1965 very kindly donated me one that might do that job, but after over 2 weeks it still hasn't arrived, so I fear that's lost in the post. A few days ago I started working on plan B, and managed to find a local motor factors who could order a 3/8 threaded bar for me (they're fairly rare over here in Ireland as we use metric for bolts etc.). I got my hands on it today, all 5ft of it!

Thankfully, a few minutes with a hacksaw and I had it down to a more manageable size, and added a nut to it to hold up the spreader for the tripod, and it all worked great...

Which means I finally have my new setup complete, and it feels steady as a rock. I now just need to wait for some clear skies...

That does look solid. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Iced Tiger said:

My very first refractor, the new WO FLT 91, this is going to be my imaging telescope when I can get my hands on a Skywatcher mount.

7EB521A2-9470-4589-8DEF-2B9D5CEF8FDA.jpeg

622CF407-1E00-4B10-A00A-4C355F53D58D.jpeg

6FE1C272-6BE7-43D2-86D9-6D9E7744028B.jpeg

Thats gorgeous. I'm not jealous. Love the handle on the tube rings. Every tube rings should have a handle.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, A McEwan said:

A new-to-me but obviously used Skytee-2 mount which incuded the ADM upgraded saddles and the heavy duty tripod! It was all a bit..."lived in"...but an hour or two with WD40, Cif degreaser and some microfiber clothes worked wonders. I need to get some longer slo-mo controls (see wanted ad) but otherwise it's really, really good!

Ant

Skytee.jpg

Nice mount! I see coffee and a toothbrush makes for a great cleaner! 😂

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, A McEwan said:

Ant

Skytee.jpg

I'll have to get the toothbrush and Cif out for my Skytee II - It's looking rather "well used" too !

Great mounts though, real workhorses. Mine is very heavily used :icon_biggrin:

I guess you want longer slow motion cables to suit your long refractors ?. My Skytee II still has the original knobs on it but they can be quite a stretch to reach :rolleyes2:

I got some lovely long ones with my T-Rex mount - I'll have to pop them on the Skytee II and give them a whirl on there.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

Since lock down I have made a number of purchases which have languished in the spare room - as require by my CMO - for some months now.

It is now time to start opening boxes to see what I have forgotten that I ordered :)

More shortly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, John said:

I guess you want longer slow motion cables to suit your long refractors ?. My Skytee II still has the original knobs on it but they can be quite a stretch to reach :rolleyes2:

Exactly! I had one of these mounts before and regretted selling it. This one is just as good as the first one was. Long slow-mo's definitely make it easier to use though.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, A McEwan said:

Exactly! I had one of these mounts before and regretted selling it. This one is just as good as the first one was. Long slow-mo's definitely make it easier to use though.

I'm more of a fan of the short slo mo cables. IIRC, the Az5 comes with both long and short. The short make me feel like I've more control/more connected with my scope(s).

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jasonb said:

It did say two weeks knowing the post office that means 14 working days but please let me know if it does not turn up in the next two weeks I will contact them and if lost I will reimburse you the postage, Someone sent me a Tal x2 Barlow that was over a week late he had reimbursed all the money only for it to turn up two days later.

• Like 1

Today’s 1st unboxing, helped by my glamorous assistant; MazekeenC8BAADAE-A238-44DB-8F30-78B4F658E1E2.thumb.jpeg.4829053e6af5086832ecdfc709109ce1.jpeg

ASIair Pro, complete with USB -> RS-232 cable

Edited by iapa
Removed dupe image
  • Like 7

@Jasonb - I love my 150P.  Such a versatile scope and much underrated IMO.  People seem to overlook it in favour of either the 130 or 200 when in fact I think it is the better choice than either if you could only have one telescope; particularly the f5 version.

• Like 4