SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

I agree John, I’ve got the 3 to 6 and 2 to 4 now 👍. The latter is good in my Genesis to get to x200, and others of course for very high power. Had the Vixen Fluorite up to x450 on some doubles the other night with it. 

Have you compared the two at the same mag, Stu? Say, at the 3 and 4 mm setting?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, John said:

If the TV version came with a neat blocker for that inverted "U" shaped notch in the 2 inch barrel and a flush grommet to fill the set screw hole then I might be interested. I assume that they are not as shiny on the interior as they are on the outside ?

Now that would be nice 👍 

Nope, just as shiny... wonder if it matters too much with large barrel and smaller 1.25” exit internally, probably would be better matt though 🤔

2 hours ago, faulksy said:

cant believe i missed the 3.7 ethos for sale, im never coming on this posty thread again . its a bit like "look what you could of won " 😃

You didn’t miss a sale. It wasn’t up for sale. We just talk a lot in pm and those I was bypassing in my focuser so they went where they will get used. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John said:

I've been using the Baader FT rings (28mm) on my Ethos eyepieces for years. They seem to both thread on and off the eyepiece barrels very smoothly and a variety of filter brands have screwed into them with no effort. Maybe the latest ones differ in spec a little :dontknow:

I don't use Baader filters though.

If they have clean threads it helps. Some are a little gritty. I think the tv ones have time spent in the finish. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Now that would be nice 👍 

Nope, just as shiny... wonder if it matters too much with large barrel and smaller 1.25” exit internally, probably would be better matt though 🤔

It wouldn’t take much to make those hole plugs up. Anyone with a 3D print tackled this one yet I wonder?

• Like 1

On 04/03/2021 at 21:43, SuburbanMak said:

Sure - this is bought as an upgrade to the supplied SW star diagonal.  I’ve gone for a prism as the Mak is long focal so I read that CA will not be an issue. Also, as I’ve been enjoying observing double stars recently I want to get the best out of the OTA, I understand that prisms display less scatter. 

This one because i) it’s lightweight & my setup is all about portability, ii) it’s the only item from Tak I am ever likely to be able to afford & iii) it was in stock - which is a rarity. 

When I get chance to test I’ll post some notes and tag you@tonylumley

@tonylumley - got out with the new prism last night.   Had intended to do a side by side comparison but it’s so much better it wasn’t really necessary. Messier open clusters really pop and focus to pinpoints in a way they weren’t with the SW supplied diagonal.  Lots of contrast, inky black backgrounds and nice colour transmission. Eta Cassiopeia looked stunning. 
More than anything it feels as if I am looking through the telescope rather than at an image, if that makes any kind of sense at all. 

Posted some more detail here: 

Edited by SuburbanMak
  • Like 4

IMG_20210306_144617311.jpg

IMG_20210306_144544231.jpg

This was partly paid for with a Waterstones gift card for my birthday.

I'm looking forward to dipping in and out of this😊.

Shown next to my pocket Sky Atlas and Cambridge Double Star Atlas for scale. The new book is quite chunky as it contains 470 pages🏋️♂️!

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 18

2 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Shown next to my pocket Sky Atlas and Cambridge Double Star Atlas for scale. The new book is quite chunky as it contains 470 pages🏋️♂️!

Dave

Im going to treat myself to one of those too 👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Dave

Cambridge Double Star Atlas is one of my faves!

• Like 4

I've posted more times in this thread in the last 12 months than the previous 12 years (yeah, I know the thread isn't that old but I like headlines!) :)

Just received this very day via SGL's classifieds

image.thumb.png.d1c2c4f224228d955b90c31ad8b88b68.png

• Like 8

just recieved from FLO my 2" astronokic h beta filter and my sky quality meter. my wife tested the meter for me and got a reading of 22.49 under the duvet 🤣

not allowed to play with them yet there for my 50th next month and thats the 7th not 1st 😁

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, faulksy said:

just recieved from FLO my 2" astronokic h beta filter and my sky quality meter. my wife tested the meter for me and got a reading of 22.49 under the duvet 🤣

not allowed to play with them yet there for my 50th next month and thats the 7th not 1st 😁

I have to buy the wife something for her 60th on the 8th of April I wonder if she would be happy with a sky quality meter? 😁

Edited by wookie1965
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I have to buy the wife something for her 60th on the 8th of April I wonder if she would be happy with a sky quality meter? 😁

Your Wife's 60th in just less than a month? OMG. You are at a critical juncture. You must think and act NOW. Your rising sense of panic between now and then will mean that the amount you'll have to spend will double for every halving of the time left. ;)

Good Luck, Magnus

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

she would love one paul 🤣

• Haha 1

Arrived this afternoon. (I was already at the box once at 5:00 PM and when I got home, there was another email. So, I went back... and got this..._)

Threading back, I see that this is on the Greatest Hits list.  Nice to be in with the in-crowd.

1011836625_ArgyleSwanJamesCovercopy.jpg.6353c4030c6c8e5e2f11939d59ecbc3a.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

DHL brought me the tray for a Berlebach Planet tripod but not the tripod......yet. 🤷‍♂️

6C614763-208C-46D4-A553-0E48D939C31E.jpeg

3CD1BF4E-E47C-4458-9B9B-9FBE0F483AF9.jpeg

@johninderby  Get yourself a cuppa and sandwich while you wait for the main delivery.  The tray is asking for a few ginger biscuits.  Lol 

John 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

DHL brought me the tray for a Berlebach Planet tripod but not the tripod......yet. 🤷‍♂️

6C614763-208C-46D4-A553-0E48D939C31E.jpeg

3CD1BF4E-E47C-4458-9B9B-9FBE0F483AF9.jpeg

Got me nervous now. I’m expecting Berlebach Uni, tray and spreader within the next hour....

Unless a Planet turns up 🤔

At least you’ve got the lovely tray to sniff in the meantime 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mikemarotta said:

Arrived this afternoon. (I was already at the box once at 5:00 PM and when I got home, there was another email. So, I went back... and got this..._)

Threading back, I see that this is on the Greatest Hits list.  Nice to be in with the in-crowd.

1011836625_ArgyleSwanJamesCovercopy.jpg.6353c4030c6c8e5e2f11939d59ecbc3a.jpg

Great book very in depth for those predisposed to all things technical.

• Like 1