Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

7 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I would love that book, is it still published?

Yes. The big 'A' has it - but lots of other online bookshops can get hold of it too, including secondhand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tonylumley said:

silly question, however, can you post details as interested ,

Sure - this is bought as an upgrade to the supplied SW star diagonal. ย Iโ€™ve gone for a prism as the Mak is long focal so I read that CA will not be an issue. Also,ย as Iโ€™ve been enjoying observing double stars recently I want to get the best out of the OTA, I understand that prisms display less scatter.ย 
ย 

This one because i) itโ€™s lightweight & my setup is all about portability, ii) itโ€™s the only item from Tak I am ever likely to be able to afford & iii) it was in stock - which is a rarity.ย 
ย 

When I get chance to test Iโ€™ll post some notes and tag you@tonylumley

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pixies said:

Secondhand, but in excellent nick

ย 

IMG_20210304_103721837.jpg

I ordered a copy (new) last week from Waterstones (I'd had a gift voucher a couple of weeks ago for my birthday).

I had to pay list price but due to the voucher it'll only cost me ยฃ15 for a new copy..and for once it's nice not to be lining Amazon's pockets!

Dave

1 hour ago, SuburbanMak said:

Sure - this is bought as an upgrade to the supplied SW star diagonal. ย Iโ€™ve gone for a prism as the Mak is long focal so I read that CA will not be an issue. Also,ย as Iโ€™ve been enjoying observing double stars recently I want to get the best out of the OTA, I understand that prisms display less scatter.ย 
ย 

This one because i) itโ€™s lightweight & my setup is all about portability, ii) itโ€™s the only item from Tak I am ever likely to be able to afford & iii) it was in stock - which is a rarity.ย 
ย 

When I get chance to test Iโ€™ll post some notes and tag you@tonylumley

thanks now youย  have got me very interestedย 

A Cambridge Press facsimile of fine publication:

Celestial Objects for Common Telescopes.
Rev Thomas William Webb.

I really wanted an original, but my pockets were not deep enough or my luck good enough to get one at an affordable cost.

It truly is a clear marvel of its time and the flick read it had over lunch was most enjoyable.
Really getting into these older publications bit by bit, next thing I will be in a jacket and tie when observing ๐Ÿ˜‰

ย 

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

And the Ethos set for the dobย is now complete, decided to extend down the focal length with two superb condition arrivals from fellow forum member Dale... thanks๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Ethos 6mm and Ethos 3.7mm, with 2โ€ adaptors and parfocal rings ๐Ÿ‘

Now the set runs... 21, 13, 8, 6 and 3.7.

D156EA62-7072-426B-A5FF-25431C8C744D.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HollyHound said:

And the Ethos set for the dobย is now complete, decided to extend down the focal length with two superb condition arrivals from fellow forum member Dale... thanks๐Ÿ˜ƒ

๐Ÿ˜now then,, when shall I get the 10 ?????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

An Altair Astro Ultraflat 24mm 65ยฐ. It's quite a beast!

2046710951_IMG_20210305_1428269612.thumb.jpg.243e88a3b3187a01e0a3c7a04ee22e88.jpg

The Celestron X-Cel LX 25mm needs to go to pay for it. Ad in the for sale section. ๐Ÿ˜‰

They look very good. Same stable as the APM if Iโ€™m correct.ย 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

An Altair Astro Ultraflat 24mm 65ยฐ. It's quite a beast!

2046710951_IMG_20210305_1428269612.thumb.jpg.243e88a3b3187a01e0a3c7a04ee22e88.jpg

The Celestron X-Cel LX 25mm needs to go to pay for it. Ad in the for sale section. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Iโ€™m keen to hear you findings with that one.ย 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HollyHound said:

By the way, the 2.25โ€ cap is on the 6 as well. I wouldnโ€™t want you to think it lacks in clarity ๐Ÿคฃ

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Daf1983 said:

Raspberry pi 4 delivered today. Going to download astroberry on this to save me taking my laptop out in the backyard. Have zero experience with linux, so wish me luck.

PXL_20210304_180710812.jpg

You wonโ€™t regret this, I did it twoย years ago, after constant Ascom issues, and have never looked back...INdI is superb and Kstars / Ekos also....๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
Any questions please ask...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

By the way, the 2.25โ€ cap is on the 6 as well. I wouldnโ€™t want you to think it lacks in clarity ๐Ÿคฃ

Ah that's why it looked so "cloudy"ย ๐Ÿคฃ

Thanks for including the 2" adaptor and parfocal rings... along with the equivalent Hyperion extension rings I have on the 8mm and 13mm, I can now use all the Ethos in the Paracorr without swapping to a 1.25" adaptor at all... just need to work out the Paracorr settings for each now and I should be able to swap quickly between all five within a sessionย ๐Ÿ‘

• Like 1

Few bits & pieces. ๐Ÿ™‚

A StellaMira Losmandy plate for Big Red

A SW 6x30 RACI finder and a laser pointer bracket and nylon thumb screws forย a new finder for the ScopeTech 80

An inexpensive 26mm Plossl which with the fitting of a TAL screwย in crosshair will be ideal for one of my finders.

F2DC4A9C-3228-47C2-A598-CF2F4F340E2D.jpeg

C069BA34-31CF-4032-80E3-83179984BA05.jpeg

61BEBEBC-370C-4604-AB01-F38E1D02F8DA.jpeg

5C1C93BA-751F-48B7-BE28-045DE16BEF20.jpeg

ECA36B3C-5544-4124-922D-6858ACE8E541.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

You wonโ€™t regret this, I did it twoย years ago, after constant Ascom issues, and have never looked back...INdI is superb and Kstars / Ekos also....๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
Any questions please ask...

I think there might be a few questions, coming from a position of zero experience!ย 

Question number 1 - I understand what kstars and ekos are, but am I right in saying that INdi is the equivalent of ascom? (Sorry if this is a stupid question)

Just now, Daf1983 said:

I think there might be a few questions, coming from a position of zero experience!ย 

Question number 1 - I understand what kstars and ekos are, but am I right in saying that INdi is the equivalent of ascom? (Sorry if this is a stupid question)

Yes, exactly, itโ€™s the driver interface software, you can run this on the RPI on your mount with all kit connected to it, and then run Kstars from a different PC in the house, (INdI server mode) or you can run it all from the RPI and then either VNC or teamviewer into the RPI desktop to control it all...I do the later....๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

32 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

Iโ€™m keen to hear you findings with that one.ย 

Don't expect much. I'm hardly an eyepiece expert. It will either be "Blinkin' 'ell look at that!' or "How much did I pay for this again...?" I'll let you know. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Yes, exactly, itโ€™s the driver interface software, you can run this on the RPI on your mount with all kit connected to it, and then run Kstars from a different PC in the house, (INdI server mode) or you can run it all from the RPI and then either VNC or teamviewer into the RPI desktop to control it all...I do the later....๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

I thought so. My plan is to run it all off the RPI(heard it's better this way, in case of any connectivity issues), and then use VNC on my laptop from the house, beer in hand๐Ÿ˜‰

• Like 1