Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Late additions. 

This actually came on loan from a friend whom I met on another discussion board. I mentioned not being able to find one for sale immediately, and he sent me his. I have been out with it a few times. (Report follows in a different Forum later.)

307310822_BaaderMicroGuidecopy.thumb.png.247893c0493e92d4686cdaea351ab7e7.png

74473656_CelestialCalculationsLawrence(cover)copy.thumb.jpeg.e89779e698485f51ed393e4ae13e421e.jpeg795197770_MathofAstro(cover)copy2.thumb.jpeg.936aa9e713f5458a9d77cb6a3add1081.jpeg

My passions are more for the maths than observing, though, of course, I do go out often. I want to understand what I am looking at.

335020241_AtlasCoeliIIBecvar(cover)copy.thumb.jpeg.dcacd8a4e376ac5525663b6fb7f43abb.jpeg

I got this because it has a table with orbital elements from some binary stars. It will take some data reduction to move the numbers from Epoch 1950.0 to 2000.0 but, it is all just grinding through arithmetic. I know you won't believe this but I would rather do that than hassle with hardware in the dark -- not that I don't do that, too, of course...

Edited by mikemarotta
removed duplicate image
  • Like 9

On 07/04/2017 at 10:49, Tonynexevo925 said:

The parcel was very securely packed and wrapped ? ???

IMG_2617.JPG

IMG_2619.JPG

IMG_2622.JPG

Must've been the fella on the right who done the packaging🤣🤣🤣

giphy (20).gif

Edited by Jason B
  • Haha 10

On 03/02/2021 at 16:12, Dantooine said:

I used a Rigel on my reflector and keep wanting to try it on my refractor. I love simple sighting setups.. and the image is the right way up 👍

I use a Telrad on the Dobson and a Rigel on the Refractor, each better suit the scope for balance and use.

Each fitted with DewControl circuit board heaters fed via usb power packs and usb to 12v step ups, works a treat.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, AdeKing said:

Yesterday the DPD guy dropped off a very nice Oklop carry case for my Vixen GP.

I resorted to this after I knocked something off a shelf and chipped the impossible to match green paint 🤬.

IMG_20210205_090512.thumb.jpg.f5e87df2c7cdcebc09867cb310a17e6a.jpg

IMG_20210205_090540.thumb.jpg.9abd90d5ed7736be962b0d49baf63dbd.jpg

Looks a very good fit Ade, shame it involved a mishap to nudge purchase though.

Someone could do well with Vixen or any other Astro touch in paint.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi, just took delivery of this Altair 30x100 bin and Fotomate VT990 tripod. I'm really chuffed with both. Par for the course the weather hasn't been great but I've managed some delightful views of the Pleiades, Orion nebula and some great flat wide field views of stars within Orion. The fluid head works very well indeed.

20210206_120257.thumb.jpg.d290d03b29f224fcbd739daa3cabad4e.jpg

• Like 19

5 hours ago, MartinHiggins said:

Hi, just took delivery of this Altair 30x100 bin and Fotomate VT990 tripod. I'm really chuffed with both. Par for the course the weather hasn't been great but I've managed some delightful views of the Pleiades, Orion nebula and some great flat wide field views of stars within Orion. The fluid head works very well indeed.

20210206_120257.thumb.jpg.d290d03b29f224fcbd739daa3cabad4e.jpg

Very very nice. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alan White said:

I use a Telrad on the Dobson and a Rigel on the Refractor, each better suit the scope for balance and use.

Each fitted with DewControl circuit board heaters fed via usb power packs and usb to 12v step ups, works a treat.

Where did you position the Rigel on your refractor?

46 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

There are quite a few of us now using Coowoo dew heaters, great bit of kit..

Alan

I'm glad you approve! Seemed like a decent and cheap option compared to buying a dew strip + controller for more than twice the price

2 minutes ago, Daf1983 said:

I'm glad you approve! Seemed like a decent and cheap option compared to buying a dew strip + controller for more than twice the price

The main reason I bought mine was that I needed portability, will run off a mobile phone power bank for ages..

Alan

1 minute ago, Alien 13 said:

The main reason I bought mine was that I needed portability, will run off a mobile phone power bank for ages..

Alan

That's what I'm planning to do as well. I have a power bank lying around somewhere which I've never used

• Like 1

From a few pages ago, for  those cutting foam blocks the best thing i have found so far for a clean cut is a electric bread knife

Edited by omo
speeling
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Alan White said:

Looks a very good fit Ade, shame it involved a mishap to nudge purchase though.

Someone could do well with Vixen or any other Astro touch in paint.

It fits a treat thanks @Alan White, I've been meaning to get one for a while but I'd put it off cos they're quite expensive for what they are.

I Had a proper look at the damage today and it's not that bad, worst bit is on the polarscope cone and that I can touch up with Hammerite Wild Thyme.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

Near to the Focuser, but on the tube.
I will dig out an image,on wrong pc at the minute.

I’ve only been using an rdf on the frac and I’m really tempted to try the Rigel on it as it’s good for the circles/degrees judging and goes as dim as you like. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dantooine said:

I’ve only been using an rdf on the frac and I’m really tempted to try the Rigel on it as it’s good for the circles/degrees judging and goes as dim as you like. 

The very reasons I went from RDF (too bright) to the Rigel on the Refractor.

• Like 2

Hello. More AZ100 kit. 2nd saddle and altitude adjuster plate. Just need to try and follow the fitting instructions. 
FYI - I will no longer be adding to this thread for the foreseeable future. The wallet has been tied down. More than happy with the kit I currently own. UKABS will also be a no no. Recent gear purchases have been as good as it gets. 
Working on getting out and using it all. 
TIA.  LOL 

John 

D3F5049F-7060-4369-BE81-C35ED8FD1A0F.jpeg

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello. More AZ100 kit. 2nd saddle and altitude adjuster plate. Just need to try and follow the fitting instructions. 
FYI - I will no longer be adding to this thread for the foreseeable future. The wallet has been tied down. More than happy with the kit I currently own. UKABS will also be a no no. Recent gear purchases have been as good as it gets. 
Working on getting out and using it all. 
TIA.  LOL 

John 

D3F5049F-7060-4369-BE81-C35ED8FD1A0F.jpeg

Excellent. Looking forward to the pics with the new bits installed, John 👍🏻

Managed to pick a second hand skywatcher focal reducer for the 80ed from astro b&s. It's like new and got it for a good price, so very happy! Still waiting for the scope to attach it to though😒. Hopefully it'll arrive in a couple of weeks🤞

PXL_20210209_151117691.jpg

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, mce said:

Pure nostalgia here. This was my first astro book, back in the 1960s, but I lost it somewhere. So for the sake of a little over 2 pounds ...

00D1D94E-B098-4DEF-A019-E959034C1056_1_105_c.jpeg.f98aff470dbeb4251f1c499411083b4e.jpeg

I lost count of the number of times I renewed that at the school library 👍

• Like 2