Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Hello. Small bit of kit. Adaptor bolt to allow me to use my SW C/W bar and weights on my ROWAN altaz mount.  M16 to M12 - saved a few pennies. 
It’s the small things I guess plus the wisdom of @johninderby  👍👍👍

Currently giving the weights a refurb so they do not look out of place on the AZ100 

John 

43128F7E-BE76-4484-87DA-EDFFFDC07AAC.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

A step up ring arrived today. Nothing special but I needed to have a 0.5 reducer for full disk with the 80ed and Zwo ASI camera and the baader Ca-K filter. Had to cut a mm down the ring as I couldn't get hold of the right size. It works a treat, now need to give it first light to see if the spacings are right. 

IMG_20210202_162213.jpg

IMG_20210202_175651.jpg

IMG_20210202_175700.jpg

• Like 9

9 hours ago, martin77 said:

Well the Postman - heavily disguised as an Amazon Driver - is supposed to be delivering a 15mm Celestron Omni eyepiece later on today.....

Hi I have a full set of them not bad I also got the 8/24mm zoom lens your like that remove the cup and it fits the asl cameras 

On 28/01/2021 at 20:52, Dantooine said:

Spot the odd man out.. it’s like one of those spot the difference pictures from the 1970’s. 

Reminds me of the pet football I had that I named Spot 😀

Oops sorry wrong thread! 

• Haha 1

Thought I'd give a higher spec version a go

image.png.7fb80856a4f0b3311249d6065db97703.png

Digi AnywhereUSB/2 plus to hang the USB skycam from and just maybe get a more stable fast frame rate (as in >10fps) than the low-cost Maplin 4-port USB1/2 hub that is doing that job at the moment. These are usually pricey but managed to pick one up for a good price, had to buy a 5v 4A psu for it but they aren't expensive and both arrived in sync.

Usefully I can load both the Digi drivers and still use the Maplin Elite Silicon one on the same PC so will be easy to flip-flop between them. 

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 5

Finally after two days of "your local depot has recieved this item, its being delivered today" from Royal Mail. 

Rigel Quikfinder and BST 8MM :D of course my local weather app is suggesting clouds for the next week and a half so thats about right.

newv1.jpg

Edited by wibblefish
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

Thought I'd give a higher spec version a go

image.png.7fb80856a4f0b3311249d6065db97703.png

Digi AnywhereUSB/2 plus to hang the USB skycam from and just maybe get a more stable fast frame rate (as in >10fps) than the low-cost Maplin 4-port USB1/2 hub that is doing that job at the moment. These are usually pricey but managed to pick one up for a good price, had to buy a 5v 4A psu for it but they aren't expensive and both arrived in sync.

Usefully I can load both the Digi drivers and still use the Maplin Elite Silicon one on the same PC so will be easy to flip-flop between them. 

ack, well it is a bit better but still get frame glitches every now and again even at 15fps at 720 or 1080. At night I run 5fps so never a problem but daytime needs a faster rate to get the cloud texture else you just see flat while even on a dull day like we currently have. 

I guess it isn't helped by having 3 network switches to pass through on the way back to my desktop over trunked vLANs so is competing with the CCTV traffic from 10 other cameras too. Still the upside is the manager can run as a service and auto-connect the USB device and another PC can access the other port in parallel which was a limitation of the Maplin/EliteSilicon one.

image.png.3c6bebf252fe2eda030f5d4290d86315.png

Interesting... switching the colour space in Sharpcap to YUY2 makes the image a lot more stable tho a very white sky results as you can't set the FPS for the capture

image.png.0fe68dc683b24fa7f581d099553957d8.png

The CCTV camera shows the real view

image.png.d495f588b539f3a2a25c06ab4076f7c7.png

Still, I guess this will do and will see how it does at night, assuming we get a clearer one where there's some sparkly dots visible 🙂 

update - been playing with the QoS settings on the Digi and now have it running at MJPEG/30fps with no glitches, result! 😄 

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wibblefish said:

Finally after two days of "your local depot has recieved this item, its being delivered today" from Royal Mail. 

Rigel Quikfinder and BST 8MM :D of course my local weather app is suggesting clouds for the next week and a half so thats about right.

newv1.jpg

A nice pair of objects. What’s the Rigel going on ?

9 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

A nice pair of objects. What’s the Rigel going on ?

I recently replaced the RDF on my evostar 90/660 short tube with a 6x30 RACI mostly because it was annoying me when I had to go towards the zenith due to the way my back garden works (which is often) + light pollution glow issues. Rigel will go somewhere down towards the objective as the replacement RDF to help avoid the crazy yoga positions to a degree :)

I got the 8mm EP as I have found that the weight of my BST 12mm + barlow has caused some moments of tube slipping excitement over the last few nights and as I have been chasing doubles recently someone suggested less glass might work better (plus I can go to my scopes theoretical max of 4mm with the barlow if I wanted).

Edited by wibblefish

7 minutes ago, wibblefish said:

I recently replaced the RDF on my evostar 90/660 short tube with a 6x30 RACI mostly because it was annoying me when I had to go towards the zenith due to the way my back garden works (which is often) + light pollution glow issues. Rigel will go somewhere down towards the objective as the replacement RDF to help avoid the crazy yoga positions to a degree :)

I got the 8mm EP as I have found that the weight of my BST 12mm + barlow has caused some moments of tube slipping excitement over the last few nights and as I have been chasing doubles recently someone suggested less glass might work better (plus I can go to my scopes theoretical max of 4mm with the barlow if I wanted).

I used a Rigel on my reflector and keep wanting to try it on my refractor. I love simple sighting setups.. and the image is the right way up 👍

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

I used a Rigel on my reflector and keep wanting to try it on my refractor. I love simple sighting setups.. and the image is the right way up 👍

Yeah Ive only had telescope since Nov so my brain keeps trying to fool me about which way to turn the alt-az controls on the refractor due to the mirror image. Also not helped by the fact that I had until recently my diagonal at a jaunty angle so not only mirrored but turned 90 degrees to the right which I only spotted when I was aligning my RACI - silly beginner mistakes ftw!

Edited by wibblefish