Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Beautiful engineering. I love a nice Manual mount. I’m sure you will love using it. I have the losmandy and they could be twins. I’m not sure either is better than the other as I’ve not seen anyone complaining about them. I know I’ve not looked at anything else since I got mine. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

Beautiful engineering. I love a nice Manual mount. I’m sure you will love using it. I have the losmandy and they could be twins. I’m not sure either is better than the other as I’ve not seen anyone complaining about them. I know I’ve not looked at anything else since I got mine. 

It’s a work of art not just engineering. The money pit is now a chasm. More bits to add when funds allow. 

John 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dantooine said:

The AZ100 is a lot bigger than the Losmandy AZ8. You don’t realise how massively built the AZ100 is until you actually see one.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Altair Astro Starwave Ascent 102ED...

523616136_IMG_20210129_1104568652.thumb.jpg.c044f0e74e84a0c80c705f5badf6f04e.jpg

I just hope it performs as good as it looks. Even the missus was impressed... 😁

Looks great! I have the Tecnosky 102 f/7, which should be a lot similar, and I absolutely love it!!

IMG_20201009_050453.thumb.jpg.295de32f3a1b2a888e5598b308086344.jpg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

523616136_IMG_20210129_1104568652.thumb.jpg.c044f0e74e84a0c80c705f5badf6f04e.jpg

I hope so too and I am sure it will.....It is a lovely looking telescope !

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The AZ100 is a lot bigger than the Losmandy AZ8. You don’t realise how massively built the AZ100 is until you actually see one.

Not twins then.. big brother little sister 😁

very similar in design and performance I would imagine. The az100 has a socket/electronics?

14 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Well, I’m impressed!!! 😀👍

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Nice catch. How did you manage to find such a telescope, It’s like trying to find a hen with teeth at the moment? It’s a very fine capable instrument, I have the ed-r and never looked back. You are going to love that telescope congratulations. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

Not twins then.. big brother little sister 😁

very similar in design and performance I would imagine. The az100 has a socket/electronics?

The AZ100 is sort of a heavier duty version although more expensive. You can get the optional internal encoders and DSC or fit them yourself. Also has a full GOTO option coming soon than can be installed on an existing AZ100. 👍🏻

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

The AZ100 is sort of a heavier duty version although more exoensive. You can get get the internal encoders and DSc or fit them yourself. Also has a full GOTO option coming soon. 👍🏻

It sounds the business. Glad I’m very satisfied with my az8 and happy that I’m a manual freak as I thought mine was a hefty price tag 😳

It’s the flexibility as well as build quality of the AZ100 that is making it so popular and being able to upgrade with new optional parts so you can create the mount that best suits you. 👍🏻

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

Nice catch. How did you manage to find such a telescope, It’s like trying to find a hen with teeth at the moment? It’s a very fine capable instrument, I have the ed-r and never looked back. You are going to love that telescope congratulations. 

Brand new direct from Altair. A couple of days after requesting an 'in stock' notification, the golden ticket arrived. £35 added to the 'out of stock' price but still a nice telescope for £495.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello. Rowan AZ 100.  Whoah !! 

John

8417D1B6-7FEB-4DC4-80EB-30BF3ED537FC.jpeg

Are you sure that had your address on it.... should it not have been delivered to me instead??
Blimey, wish it was, but the pot is not quite filled enough yet, but someday soon.

These mounts are superbly engineered and very solid, yet delicate control.
It is substantially more solid than the AZ8, which is a stonking mount in itself.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Brand new direct from Altair. A couple of days after requesting an 'in stock' notification, the golden ticket arrived. £35 added to the 'out of stock' price but still a nice telescope for £495.

I wouldn’t worry about the £35, in my opinion they are a lot of telescope for the asking price. Come to think of it I believe they were almost £500 just over a year ago and then the price went down a bit as some were delivered with damage due to insufficient packing/padding. I reckon the price went down to try to regain customer confidence and now the price is back to what it originally was. I would place a bet that they will go up again soon. There are quite a few similar versions of the 102/f7 and are gaining in popularity as very good all rounders. 

36 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Are you sure that had your address on it.... should it not have been delivered to me instead??
Blimey, wish it was, but the pot is not quite filled enough yet, but someday soon.

These mounts are superbly engineered and very solid, yet delicate control.
It is substantially more solid than the AZ8, which is a stonking mount in itself.

Mines heavy enough for my needs and still manages to take chunks out of my door frames 🤣

I think the main benefit of the az100 is the upgrade ability, they look very impressive. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Hmm I wonder what an “out of stock” price means. I wonder if it’s like the “restocking” fee that some US companies have. That would be a worrying trend if it were.

Dont let this comment put you off enjoying what I’m sure is a wonderful telescope