Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

29 minutes ago, Jason B said:

Oh,  I'll definitely be proudly uploading any images that I'm suitably pleased with.  I'm attaching it to my baader zoom so I have high hopes! If I can get shots any better than these,  which I got last Year by simply putting my phone up to the stock 25mm & 10mm eyepieces that came with my scope, I'll be a happy man with my initial modest investment…. 

20201105_234525.jpg

20201229_180826.jpg

20201105_235938.jpg

20201105_234553.jpg

They are great shots with your smartphone down the stock ep, the second one I especially like. You'll definitely excell with your new set up and achieve sdone great images, keep it up and look forward to seeing more. Clear skies 

Edited by LeeHore7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason B said:

That looks amazing!   And you did it so quickly! I'm looking to download some imaging software,  what did you use,  if you don't mind me asking? Thanks, I'll be spending the next few minutes admiring that enhancement👍☺️ 

I just used the free Photoshop app. Applied the following. A little sharpening, dehaze, adjusted contrast and applied a little denoise colour rendition and saturation. 

Edited by Nigella Bryant
Added more comment
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Nigella Bryant said:

I just used the free Photoshop app. Applied the following. A little sharpening, dehaze, adjusted contrast and applied a little denoise colour rendition and saturation. 

You made it sound so simple! I will of course be having a try🙂

• Thanks 1

This came (a while back). It's just a moon filter,  which itself is unremarkable;   but what is worth highlighting, is the amount of packaging used for an item that is only slightly larger than a pound coin. I could almost fit my kettle in the box.  I'm an enthusiastic recycler,  but I can't help feeling that there should be more responsibility placed on companies who are now posting ever-increasing amounts of items. 

20201117_111932.jpg

Edited by Jason B
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, Jason B said:

This came (a while back). It's just a moon filter,  which itself is unremarkable;   but what is worth highlighting, is the amount of packaging used for an item that is only slightly larger than a pound coin. I could almost fit my kettle in the box.  I'm an enthusiastic recycler,  but I can't help feeling that there should be more responsibility placed on companies who are now posting ever-increasing amounts of items. 

20201117_111932.jpg

Amazon only have 3 box sizes. Large, extra large and super large. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

🤣 I think you're right.  This one example of over-packaging by them was by no means a one-off! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

May as well do some reading, I can’t remember what a clear sky looks like unfortunately. Would be nice to get one on one of my days off 🤞

Ditto, I swear the scopes surrounding me in my office are getting restless and planning some kind of revolt if they don't get out again soon 😬

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Jason B said:

That's bad, but I've seen far worse from Amazon in the past 😬

14 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

They have a fourth... don't bother with a box at all and just chuck the unboxed item in the van... happened a few times, fortunately nothing got damaged 🤔

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HollyHound said:

This so true, mostly... I love also with DPD they give you a profile of your driver... ours is married with 5 kids... makes us feel part of a team 🤣

I know! I now usually find myself saying  to my wife,  'Johnathan's coming today (dpd) ,  with my parcel' or,  'Alex is due today (parcelforce) with my delivery🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Jason B
  • Haha 1

Despite saying that's it for astro purchases a year or ago, I've been norty 😈 since November and bought yet more astronomy-related stuff.

I was considering taking piccies but you'll all just get annoyed at me taking over the thread. So here's a list:

Celestron-NexStar 102GT refractor from ENS Optical for grab n go sessions - the eyepieces might be rated a bit meh but never dismiss them for solar projection type work 😉

( I was after a Celestron - Vixen 102mm HD refractor in excellent condition on ebay but it was collect-only and about 150 miles away and went to someone who was willing to travel. Seller didn't really want to post unless he couldn't sell it quickly at the time.  I'm gutted because it looked like it was going to be a bargain even with courier costs added ).

Baader 1.25 inch filters from FLO arrived yesterday! Light blue, Solar continuum and OIII

Books from FLO and ebay:

Harrington - Cosmic Challenge 

Argyle - An Anthology Of Visual Double Stars

Willmann-Bell - Solar Astronomy Handbook 

Paolini - Choosing And Using Astronomical Eyepieces 

Jensen - Budget Astrophotography 

Mobberley - The Caldwell Objects 

Griffiths - Planetary Nebulae and How to Observe Them

Plus 4 non-astro related books and 700g of ceramic baking beans.

A month ago I'd have added a partridge in a pear tree to this list! 😅

Blame me for forcing FLO and ENS Optical packing all this bad weather folks! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jason B said:

20201117_111932.jpg

Look at the bright side 

Makes it almost as hard to lose as a golf ball! 

Edited by reezeh
Typo: as replacement for than
  • Like 1

I got one of these today as people had been saying nice things about them. Not as big and heavy as I expected. It almost seems lost in the huge box. Of course the weather is not being cooperative, so no idea when I can get to try it.

David

IMG_20210116_135427.jpg

• Like 7

14 hours ago, MrFreeze said:

I got one of these today as people had been saying nice things about them. Not as big and heavy as I expected. It almost seems lost in the huge box. Of course the weather is not being cooperative, so no idea when I can get to try it.

David

IMG_20210116_135427.jpg

I had one of those for a while. Very nice solid build clear view eyepieces. I could easily buy the 1.25” 82’s back for a nice lightweight set. 

Edited by Dantooine
Spelling
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Dantooine said:

I could easily buy the 1.25” 82’s back for a nice lightweight set. 

Ah ha... the "second set" idea is happening. Had the same thoughts, but as I literally only have to move 30 ft with any scope, I have been able to resist 😬 

A zoom works well for a grab and go scope too 👍

2 hours ago, HollyHound said:

Ah ha... the "second set" idea is happening. Had the same thoughts, but as I literally only have to move 30 ft with any scope, I have been able to resist 😬 

A zoom works well for a grab and go scope too 👍

I did have the 82’s as a first set. Gave most of them to mates when I moved into Delos. Then sold the Delos when I went to 100 degrees glass. It’s just that the 82’s are cute but hard hitting at the same time. I suppose they are close to nagler performance but I’m sure someone will correct me on that 😁 I’ve still to try a Morpheus and wonder if I’d like those. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

I’ve still to try a Morpheus and wonder if I’d like those. 

There are not many reports on SGL of people that have tried them and not liked them.  From what I read of ranges of EP's many of the decent types appear to have a couple within the range which are superb and others which are just very good, I see relatively few reports on SGL where decent brands of EP's have sizes which seem to drop into the 'good' or lower category.  I suppose then it becomes do you covert a matched set of EP's (guilty as charged)? Or, are you prepared to own a box where you cherry pick the one or two 'superbs' from each line, but will never get a matched set?  

Edited by JOC
  • Thanks 1