Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

This came today.  An old model and used (it's in great condition) , but it cost less than I paid for a chinese takeaway for me,  my wife and son on Saturday night!  Just waiting for the connectors to arrive,  so I can attach it to my scope.  A cheap intro to astrophotography, that now worries me that if I get some even half-decent results,  will soon become an expensive addition to this hobby!🤣

20210113_211226.jpg

Edited by Jason B
  • Like 10

26 minutes ago, Jason B said:

This came today.  An old model and used (it's in great condition) , but it cost less than I paid for a chinese takeaway for me,  my wife and son on Saturday night!  Just waiting for the connectors to arrive,  so I can attach it to my scope.  A cheap intro to astrophotography, that now worries me that if I get some even half-decent results,  will soon become an expensive addition to this hobby!🤣

20210113_211226.jpg

I had the 350d version great intro to AP. 

15 hours ago, HollyHound said:

This arrived few days ago, but forgot to post (did make a guest appearance on the Mak when I got the Hyperion Zoom).

Skywatcher 6x30 right angle finder... I've got couple of 9x50 RACI and straight thru 6x30, but this makes life much simpler on the Mak and is just a lovely dinky little thing 😀

Skywatcher_9x30_Right_Angle_Finder.jpg

Nice! At least you can get one. I've been searching in vain for a 6x30 RACI finder for the past week, or so.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Ande said:

That looks like it’s really been looked after.  Good find :)

Thanks.  For what I paid for it (29 quid) , I don't think I can go wrong. A purchase which is a symptom of lockdown and too many cloudy nights.  Knowing me, I'll probably be looking to upgrade by Easter! I seem to spend more time these days looking for astro-stuff to buy,  than I do looking at the sky! 

Edited by Jason B
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jason B said:

Thanks.  For what I paid for it (29 quid) , I don't think I can go wrong. A purchase which is a symptom of lockdown and too many cloudy nights.  Knowing me, I'll probably be looking to upgrade by Easter! I seem to spend more time these days looking for astro-stuff to buy,  than I do looking at the sky! 

This last 10 months of furlough has near enough bankrupted me 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, nephilim said:

This last 10 months of furlough has near enough bankrupted me 🤣

Me too!  Astronomy  is the gift  that keeps on giving,  but what it gives with one hand, it takes with the other (and then some 🤣)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Nakedgun said:

Nice! At least you can get one. I've been searching in vain for a 6x30 RACI finder for the past week, or so.

I put an “advise when back in stock” request on the @FLO website and a couple came in last week... worth doing 🤔🤞

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 1

After wondering where my delivery was I checked the Hermes tracking portal to find that this was delivered yesterday and left in the rain at the side of my house. No knock on the door, no notification 😡

Despite the wet cardboard sloughing off, my new flight case remained undamaged. 

I've been trying for a while to find a case to hold my complete imaging train (guide scope-'n'-all), but everything I found was either too short in 1 direction or excessively large and expensive. 

This from Maplin was reasonable at £50. 

From memory, the internal dimensions are about 30 x 30 x 70cm.

IMG_20210114_115436186.jpg

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Mr Thingy said:

After wondering where my delivery was I checked the Hermes tracking portal to find that this was delivered yesterday and left in the rain at the side of my house. No knock on the door, no notification 😡

Despite the wet cardboard sloughing off, my new flight case remained undamaged. 

I've been trying for a while to find a case to hold my complete imaging train (guide scope-'n'-all), but everything I found was either too short in 1 direction or excessively large and expensive. 

This from Maplin was reasonable at £50. 

From memory, the internal dimensions are about 30 x 30 x 70cm.

IMG_20210114_115436186.jpg

Similar to one I got from another firm recently for £37.

IMG_20201230_140511.jpg

IMG_20201230_143719.jpg

IMG_20201230_140517.jpg

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Similar to one I got from another firm recently for £37.

IMG_20201230_140511.jpg

IMG_20201230_143719.jpg

IMG_20201230_140517.jpg

I have one that looks to be of a similar size (complete also with compulsory silica gel bags), but it's too shallow to also fit my EAF.

IMG_20210114_143520318.jpg

• Like 2

On 13/01/2021 at 14:05, HollyHound said:

This arrived few days ago, but forgot to post (did make a guest appearance on the Mak when I got the Hyperion Zoom).

Skywatcher 6x30 right angle finder... I've got couple of 9x50 RACI and straight thru 6x30, but this makes life much simpler on the Mak and is just a lovely dinky little thing 😀

Skywatcher_9x30_Right_Angle_Finder.jpg

I could have done with that the other night when I was busy contorting my body to find Andromeda through the straight finder on my DOB.  Another addition to my ever-growing wishlist! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jason B said:

I could have done with that the other night when I was busy contorting my body to find Andromeda through the straight finder on my DOB.  Another addition to my ever-growing wishlist! 

Absolutely, don't struggle with a straight through finder. Although for the dob you'll find the 9x50 RACI finder is much more useful... more light gathering and also it's correct in both left/right and up/down 👍

2 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Absolutely, don't struggle with a straight through finder. Although for the dob you'll find the 9x50 RACI finder is much more useful... more light gathering and also it's correct in both left/right and up/down 👍

Thanks,  The List grows again! 😁

• Haha 2

This beautiful thing arrived from RVO by the nice dpd driver, I ordered it during clouds so hoping it'll have the reverse affect and bring on the clear nights now. Its a much more portable setup for me with my skymax 127 and can get everything down the 2 flights of stairs in one trip. It'll be so brilliant to finally get a scope outside as I haven't managed before with my previous set up, I'm looking forward to viewing the early phases of the moon and more westerly and northerly parts of the sky, once 'm outside. On the quick test of setting up in my lounge it certainly works well and a breeze to control via the synscan app on my phone. I'll eventually upgrade it with a wedge, counterweight bar and weights for the eq mode but happy to see what very basic astrophotography I can do with this and the no eq challenge thread. Clear skies. 🌌🔭📷

IMG_20210112_184637.jpg

IMG_20210112_193431.jpg

Edited by LeeHore7
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 13/01/2021 at 23:56, Jason B said:

20210113_211226.jpg

Nnice start, be good to see what results you get from first light with your dslr. Clear skies 🌌📷

Just delivered Wednesday.

I generally binocular observe with 10x because I like going deeper than a 7x or 8x will allow, but sometimes recognizing starfields when searching for the quarry in my dim light polluted backyard sky can be troublesome with their narrower field. Some recent reviews on Kowa's 6.5x32 prompted me to try the 10° field they offer.

Used them last night under clear, but windy conditions, my 10x50s alongside, and I am sufficiently impressed enough that the Kowas will be with me for any observing session. I think of the 6.5s as a "finder" for any higher mag  pair I'm using.

115633250_IMGP0215-Copy.JPG.aa7aa0c683859a098c5467f919d43337.JPG

Edited by Nakedgun
  • Like 8

12 hours ago, LeeHore7 said:

Nnice start, be good to see what results you get from first light with your dslr. Clear skies 🌌📷

Oh,  I'll definitely be proudly uploading any images that I'm suitably pleased with.  I'm attaching it to my baader zoom so I have high hopes! If I can get shots any better than these,  which I got last Year by simply putting my phone up to the stock 25mm & 10mm eyepieces that came with my scope, I'll be a happy man with my initial modest investment…. 

20201105_234525.jpg

20201229_180826.jpg

20201105_235938.jpg

20201105_234553.jpg

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Jason B said:

Oh,  I'll definitely be proudly uploading any images that I'm suitably pleased with.  I'm attaching it to my baader zoom so I have high hopes! If I can get shots any better than these,  which I got last Year by simply putting my phone up to the stock 25mm & 10mm eyepieces that came with my scope, I'll be a happy man with my initial modest investment…. 

13 minutes ago, Jason B said:

I hope you don't mind but I played with one of your images, great potential, well done.

PSX_20210115_183147.jpg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Nigella Bryant said:

I hope you don't mind but I played with one of your images, great potential, well done.

PSX_20210115_183147.jpg

That looks amazing!   And you did it so quickly! I'm looking to download some imaging software,  what did you use,  if you don't mind me asking? Thanks, I'll be spending the next few minutes admiring that enhancement👍☺️ 

• Like 3