Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

4 minutes ago, Red Dwarfer said:

I was worried on two fronts while waiting for this new SW 350P flextube to arrive yesterday - the weight and having to install the primary mirror myself - the instruction manual goes up to 12” and stops there , so you need to go to google images and look at the assembled set up ... 

Thankfully , I had an expert on hand to help with the build : Ellie , my niece , aged 3 ... and instead of the standard baked beans tin for scale , I have used a 3 year old in the pics for scale ...

Forecast is clear spells tonight , so hopefully I will get a chance to use it ...

942ACA35-B321-4AE1-B2A1-952F374385B2.jpeg

94E0BE89-9A45-43CA-8884-2C3F1D0DF914.png

2342C280-06C8-4944-B049-7AA7B9D45D24.png

48B7C298-27B0-45AB-982D-B35A4137EB89.png

C2B1D39E-DAB8-4587-8C46-F04DE9BEFEFC.png

Oh Bless! Must be very exciting for her. Can't wait to climb inside I expect :D

Does the OTA fit through a door frame easily? I think the 16 inch would just too. 

Happy collimating & what a "wow" for your daughter to see stars through!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pair of ADM DVPA-TAK clam ring saddles. Bought from ADM site in the US as I could find no UK ADM seller in the UK who sold them. Only 10 days from purchase to delivery!

IMG_20180502_131322_edit.jpg

Edited by 25585
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Does the OTA fit through a door frame easily?

Yes , no problem when collapsed - but the base plate needs to come off the stand in order to be able to carry it and reassemble the whole set up in 3 parts : base plate , stand then OTA 

That is Ellie my niece , a veteran astronomer , as she has seen the Moon a couple of times through a scope :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Red Dwarfer, wow, that is quite some scope.
Relieved when the last image was NOT of your Niece headless after the tube dropped and shut onto her, thank goodness.

Nice step up from your 200p, do you get the conditions to use a 350mm scope much or is this a once in a while use to go with the 200mm?

Edited by Alan White
Typos as normal
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Red Dwarfer, wow, that is quite some scope.
Relieved when the last image was NOT of your Niece headless after the tube dropped and shut onto her, thank goodness.

Nice step up from your 200p, do you get the conditions to use a 350mm scope much or is this a once in a while use to go with the 200mm?

It was well tightened , but that iPic made me think of a guillotine too .

As far as I know the sky at this semi rural location is semi to reasonably dark ; going by the Little Dipper and Milky Way visibility test , so I do hope it becomes my main scope for galaxies , doubles , planetary nebulae and planets - the extra aperture also starts to show the fainter NGC stuff too . The 200P will definitely stay as it was my first big scope and still a favourite .

• Like 2

Just received the following eyepieces to add to my collection.

A 4mm Clave'

A 8mm Clave' 

A 10mm Clave' 

The 8mm and 10mm are side marked, so now i have the full side marked collection of 8,10,& 12mm. Apparently these were made in 1982 and only 100 of each were made so they are pretty rare.

J6107g.jpg

The three side marked Clave's together.

LTaSGX.jpg

Mick

• Like 8

Hi everyone,

My first telescope - Things escalated quickly when I saw FLO had a C9.25 on sale.

The AZEQ5 was borderline on the weight stability side so the AZEQ6 was purchased. Future proofing and credit card meltdown all in one :D

Handy having a workshop to take your telescope delivery into! Should have brought the forklift home though! 

Spent about 45 minutes trying to balance the thing - It's all new to me.

Next time I will order the correct power cable then maybe I can actually use the thing!

Clear Skies,

Murray

IMG_0428.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_0438.JPG

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, Eastman said:

.................... It's the week of buying big scopes on the SGL forum:icon_biggrin:.

That's what I'm afraid of.  I've been trying to resist  :help2: buying the 10" Portaball that just came up for sale in the Classifieds here on SGL.

Edited by L8-Nite
spell
  • Haha 1

While you're all spending money, I'm laid up in hospital saving money. Did my spending before I came in here. Haven't even unbox Ed a few things I bought. 

Ps- nice new scopes everyone. Hope you get first light soon. Dunno why but I was expecting Ellie to climb into extended Dod and then vanish when Dob was collapsed. 

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Haha 1

This is what I bid on and won on eBay..

Revelation binoviewer.jpg

And this is what arrived today at my work..

IMG_20180502_114722304.jpg

IMG_20180502_114701929.jpg

Needless to say it's gone back by return post...Described as "very little used and therefore in very good condition":eek::eek:...

On the plus side I also received today a nice Baader Eudiascopic 10mm and a pair of Opticron 8.5x50 Japan made binoculars (thanks FLO?)..

Dave

IMG_20180502_114618315.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
  • Sad 3

You might be annoyed that the housing for the Eps have to be held in place with sticky tape. My TV remote is like that and it drives me crazy. The back where the batteries go, the cover just falls off. 

So you can see my confusion. 

19 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

This is what I bid on and won on eBay..

Revelation binoviewer.jpg

And this is what arrived today at my work..

IMG_20180502_114722304.jpg

IMG_20180502_114701929.jpg

Needless to say it's gone back by return post...Described as "very little used and therefore in very good condition":eek::eek:...

On the plus side I also received today a nice Baader Eudiascopic 10mm and a pair of Opticron 8.5x50 Japan made binoculars (thanks FLO?)..

Dave

IMG_20180502_114618315.jpg

It is quite shameful what some folk will do to deceive, and describe as very good condition !!!

No wonder there was just the one picture.

• Like 1

I'm with stupid. I completely failed to see/ read your full original comment. All I saw was "This is what I bid for on eBay, and this is what I got". 

My apologies. I wasn't trying to be funny or smart mouthed. 

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Like 1

That is rather shocking. Glad there was a return on it. I've never had anything serious go wrong on eBay, although I've only ever got BST eyepieces from it in an astronomical sense.

Edited by trynda1701
  • Like 1

I"ve bought a few things from eBay over the years and only had one or two "bad" experiences. 

Normally for an item such as binoviewers I'd look here or on  UKABS, but this time I hadn't seen any for sale for months.

I may just put up a wanted ad on here before too long, or just buy new, although  binoviewers in general seem to be in short supply at the moment, whether old or new..

Dave

Edited by F15Rules

17 hours ago, 25585 said:

Pair of ADM DVPA-TAK clam ring saddles. Bought from ADM site in the US as I could find no UK ADM seller in the UK who sold them. Only 10 days from purchase to delivery!

IMG_20180502_131322_edit.jpg

Will you have to adjust the spacing between the Primaluce rings or will they fit in the gaps? I assume they don’t bolt to the Losmandy plate? Anyway, hopefully the Tak green will tone in with the Prima Red :) Regardless, the scope will be super safe with four rings and two clamps.

I picked up a 1.25” 0.5x focal reducer on eBay for £8! I knew what I was getting, the description said it was in good condition with just a few scratches, but the images showed it had been dropped and that the bottom edge was a bit out of true. I think people think they can can be dishonest in descriptions so long as the pictures show any problems.

Anyway, having cleaned the optics I can see they are in excellent condition, and the reducer works perfectly well; it threads onto eyepieces perfectly and it still fits into the diagonal with no problem.

So, a small value risk which has paid off. Nice :) 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Will you have to adjust the spacing between the Primaluce rings or will they fit in the gaps? I assume they don’t bolt to the Losmandy plate? Anyway, hopefully the Tak green will tone in with the Prima Red :) Regardless, the scope will be super safe with four rings and two clamps.

I won't be using them together. The height difference even with clamshell screwed straight onto a bar is too much. And colour clash ?

But mounting the Tak on any bar on another mount is now possible.