SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Not today but warly last week, I recieved my HEQ5 pier adapter. Manufactured by @Stardust and modded from his previous design by reducing the diameter of the main puck and leaving a lip so that it drops into my pier extension tube.

Verily a thing of beauty.

DSC01592.JPG

DSC01593.JPG

• Like 13

This 9x50 straight through finder arrived today (thanks to the SGL For Sale ads) and either this or my existing RACI finder will be fitted to the finder bracket and rings that arrived last week (after recommendation from @johninderby) and should hopefully fit nicely onto the StellaMira 😁

Finder_Straight_9x50.jpg

Finder_Bracket_and_Rings.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Most of us have 50mm guide scopes and getting them into focus can be hit and miss. Most of the time it is easy to get the stars as small as possible but it is only guess work. So I ordered one of these Bahtinov Masks from astrograph for £30+ postage and it came earlier today. It is one of the only ones for 50mm lenses I have found so far. It is made from metal and is quite heavy so I don't think it is aluminium. I could have made one but the Bahtinov generator produces such fine lines that it is impossible to cut from black card (I know as I've tried!)

This one has a M52 thread but they do it in M49 too. To mount on the guide scope I will just use painters tape.

It will have double duty as it will also fit my prime 50mm f1/8 Canon lens for ultrawide field work. I will use an adaptor to fit it to the Canon.

IMG_0511.thumb.jpg.3cf6ad50c33406930e9596eedec22487.jpg

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, johninderby said:

A box 🤔

Containing a SW 3/8 tripod.

F28E35AB-FE95-4227-ABF1-0412C0B8654E.jpeg

I literally received one of those week before last to put the AZ5 on. You will definitely notice the difference from the stock tripod (same as I had on my Mak 102 kit) 👍

P.S. We seem to be slowly getting the same kit 🤣

Edited by HollyHound

This little beauty arrived today, after many many suggestions on this forum that it's an absolute ace purchase, I deco to treat myself with some birthday money and bought this book. I've only just started reading it and engrossed already. When the cloudy skies gave gone I'll be turning left at orion and viewing some great things in the night sky and the skies are only going yo get darker as the seasons progress here in North Cornwall, bortle class 3.

IMG_20200625_190936.jpg

• Like 7

On 24/06/2020 at 12:44, TerryMcK said:

Most of us have 50mm guide scopes and getting them into focus can be hit and miss. Most of the time it is easy to get the stars as small as possible but it is only guess work. So I ordered one of these Bahtinov Masks from astrograph for £30+ postage and it came earlier today. It is one of the only ones for 50mm lenses I have found so far. It is made from metal and is quite heavy so I don't think it is aluminium. I could have made one but the Bahtinov generator produces such fine lines that it is impossible to cut from black card (I know as I've tried!)

This one has a M52 thread but they do it in M49 too. To mount on the guide scope I will just use painters tape.

It will have double duty as it will also fit my prime 50mm f1/8 Canon lens for ultrawide field work. I will use an adaptor to fit it to the Canon.

IMG_0511.thumb.jpg.3cf6ad50c33406930e9596eedec22487.jpg

I use a 3D printed one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thalestris24 said:

Well, UPS from Germany 🙂 Bought this easy-assemble Vasagle 'industrial' side table. It was intended as a 3d printer stand as it's solid and rigid and should hopefully make printing more consistent:

648164963_table20pc-Noexif.jpg.4a145f5acb778986ca88248779a8af50.jpg

Louise

That'll be good for a table-top Dobsonian!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thalestris24 said:

Well, UPS from Germany 🙂 Bought this easy-assemble Vasagle 'industrial' side table. It was intended as a 3d printer stand as it's solid and rigid and should hopefully make printing more consistent:

648164963_table20pc-Noexif.jpg.4a145f5acb778986ca88248779a8af50.jpg

Louise

Looks good, I made a cabinet base out of 1/2" ply and ended up adding a pieces on 40x20mm pine up one side of the front as a plain box wasn't rigid enough, that looks nice and chunky but if it still moves you could use gorilla glue to put wooden panels inside the legs.

28 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Looks good, I made a cabinet base out of 1/2" ply and ended up adding a pieces on 40x20mm pine up one side of the front as a plain box wasn't rigid enough, that looks nice and chunky but if it still moves you could use gorilla glue to put wooden panels inside the legs.

It's very solid and rigid, thanks! 🙂 It's a sturdy metal frame bolted together with Allen key bolts.

Louise

19 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

An OVL 82° Nirvana-ES 7mm, which I'm expecting to be especially useful in the 102 Skymax. I have the 4mm and it's great in the 150p, but obvs too much for the Skymax...

I have the 4mm, 7mm and 16mm, and the 7mm and 16mm work well in both my C5 (same focal length) and Mak 127. Never got a chance to try it in my Mak 102 (first scope), as I sold it on, but I’m sure it will be excellent 😊

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HollyHound said:

I have the 4mm, 7mm and 16mm, and the 7mm and 16mm work well in both my C5 (same focal length) and Mak 127. Never got a chance to try it in my Mak 102 (first scope), as I sold it on, but I’m sure it will be excellent 😊

Due to COVID-19 disruption these eyepieces are hard to get hold of right now. I paid a fiver over the odds for the 7mm and it was the last one in that particular shop.

There's no chance of purchasing the 16mm for a sensible price and receiving it promptly. Out of stock just about everywhere or long dispatch times.

A RACI 6x30 for the Skymax would be nice but they're like gold dust atm. OVL must be really struggling importing.

• Sad 1

Arrived just now, and in excellent condition of course, courtesy of @johninderby... a TS-Optics 1.25" Crayford Focuser For Mak / SCT 😊

This is going on the Mak 127, to address (minor) mirror flop and just make it a bit easier focussing in general, as the focus knob is at the top when on my mounts 👍

76AD781E-36E5-4D8C-84AD-2A2618E29CBA.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1