Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

29 minutes ago, apophisOAS said:

Is that ARM chip a similar one thats in the Iphone?

Roger

Hi,

Short answer... yes.

However, ARM don’t actually make chips, they license CPU chip architecture (with numerous varieties) out to many many manufactures, who will then create a chip incorporating that along with other sub systems such as memory controllers and interfaces, as required for the end product.

These products can be very simple, or as in the case of Apple’s A Series, extremely complex and combined with graphics processors, AI, security etc, to create a SoC (System on a Chip).

But yes, the fundamental CPU is the same and has advantage of high throughout per watt (unlike say Intel desktop processors).

Oh and it’s British technology, based in Cambridge 😊

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HollyHound said:

Yes, good point... still originated here I suppose 😊

ARM stands for 'Acorn RISC Machine'.

Acorn built the Electron and the original BBC Micros and the original ARM processor was produced as a co-processor for the Beeb.

It's fair to say that the most ubiquitous computer processors in the world are a direct evolution of the BBC Micro. Beat that, Microsoft and Apple!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

ARM stands for 'Acorn RISC Machine'.

Acorn built the Electron and the original BBC Micros and the original ARM processor was produced as a co-processor for the Beeb.

It's fair to say that the most ubiquitous computer processors in the world are a direct evolution of the BBC Micro. Beat that, Microsoft and Apple!

And the second commercial software application I ever wrote and published, was for the BBC Micro... way back in 1984, so everything I've ever done since, has also been a direct evolution from that too... gosh, where did the time go 😮

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 1

Not got a rig yet, 'scope is on order...., but I'm thinking of using R Pi and Astroberry to control it.

As well as my new dining room table (ordered in December...) today's deliveries included a copy of "Turn Left at Orion"

Edited by Tenor Viol
  • Like 2

There’s not much info on these guys filters out there at the moment but I thought I’d take the plunge and buy the Antlia 3.5nm Oiii filter. If it works out I’ll probably look at replacing my Baader 7nm Ha and sulphur too. 

A5249240-1BE4-41B8-BECF-F5BB3D89A59B.jpeg.07a3dab88f2f1440308528078f183bae.jpeg

5AEB265F-7DB2-4A58-8310-885DC2AE39E8.jpeg.dab6c197dba1b37837014e641bb80637.jpeg

came nicely packaged in a magnetised case, decent looking sealed edges on the filter itself. I look forward to using it!

• Like 4

This came last week to put the TS 76 EDPH on i've received a few days earlier.

A SW HEQ5 Rowan, polemaster adapter and ZWO motorfocuser. 

8E25E6FE-F670-460D-84EB-21AC049810D5.thumb.jpeg.9d65ba92de289464dd9642906a226cbd.jpeg

08BAC0C5-4122-47D0-BAA8-C049AD80DFAC.thumb.jpeg.b1d55f6e7a935b92cbff3e18ed1a4fa6.jpeg

Picture above, all was in balance like this, alas, focus is 4cm out so i'm unable to balance with the stock dovetail and clamp.

I've ordered new Primalucelab dovetails, rings and spacers, not cheap i might add...

• Like 5

A nice Vixen LV30 mm 2" arrived yesterday, courtesy of a fellow SGLer, thanks Steve:thumbsup:

Made in Japan, a nice heft to it, should make a nice low power medium field (60deg) 😎

Shown below next to Morpheus 17.5mm for scale..

IMG_20200617_175729354.jpg

IMG_20200617_175711073.jpg

IMG_20200617_175749786.jpg

IMG_20200617_175808376.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, steveex2003 said:

It’s been a good month for toys. Sold a few things. Bought a few things. Toy budget officially blown for the year now. Some sun wouldn’t go amiss though.

FE16AEBB-F999-4700-A639-92F50228D459.jpeg

Thought you’d nicked me Lunt... very familiar box (of course) , though I don’t have the heliofind and use a Baader zoom. Reminds me I should do the fuzzy blocking filterreplacement after lunch... thanks to Bresser EU for posting a spare. I’d be interested in how the heliofind works, sometimes my sun tracking is not so good when imaging. Having said that the tracking was good recently, so good that the usual drifting didn’t average out the dust doughnuts on the sensor... humph.

Peter

27 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Thought you’d nicked me Lunt... very familiar box (of course) , though I don’t have the heliofind and use a Baader zoom. Reminds me I should do the fuzzy blocking filterreplacement after lunch... thanks to Bresser EU for posting a spare. I’d be interested in how the heliofind works, sometimes my sun tracking is not so good when imaging. Having said that the tracking was good recently, so good that the usual drifting didn’t average out the dust doughnuts on the sensor... humph.

Peter

Lunt, or Bresser was my port of contact, were fantastic. About a month ago I thought I had sourced another Lunt 60 (and was let down in true poor-form manner by a chav of a UKABS seller) I contacted Lunt about getting a replacement blue filter in preparation just in case. They duly sent one free of charge, from Germany, despite my being entirely honest about being a second owner.
A week later I contacted them again about sourcing O rings and grease, again just in case. Again they sent some entirely at their expense. I would spend my money all day long with Bresser/Lunt.
It is always nice to write positive reviews and feedback.   

5 minutes ago, Dannomiss said:

Where you get your shroud from?Thinking of make one from Hobby foam

That looks like an astrozap dewshield, but if you want to make one can I suggest this https://www.wickes.co.uk/Proplex-Black-Surface-Protection-Sheet-2400-x-1200-x-2mm/p/118670 instead of hobby foam.  Its cheap, super-light, easy to cut, and keeps its circular shape.  I've also used some in strips to keep the shape of a lycra shroud for my odd shaped ultra-compact dob

Helen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Dannomiss said:

Where you get your shroud from?Thinking of make one from Hobby foam

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention/astrozap-light-shroud-for-skywatcher-flextube.html

It is an AstroZap Shield. purchased from FLO. It looks like they only go down to 200mm currently.  Perhaps they will make a 150mm soon now with the arrival of the new Skywatcher!

A quick look down my finder and it certainly looks much darker!