SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

27 minutes ago, MakeItSo said:

Got my Esprit 150 and ADM dual mounting weaponry (from IKI and FLO) and  spent the morning setting it up...

IMG_0449.jpg

Honestly? I make using a manual dual speed focuser (visual only) look painfully awkward. Add in multiple EP's and its Inspector Clouseau farcical. I look at rigs like this with all the comprehension of a banana.

Edited by steveex2003
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, steveex2003 said:

Honestly? I make using a manual dual speed focuser (visual only) look painfully awkward. Add in multiple EP's and its Inspector Clouseau farcical. I look at rigs like this with all the comprehension of a banana.

To be honest, I am not entirely happy with this; I feel some flexure in the system when it slews and who knows how much mirror shift/flop I am going to have. I really want to have the Edge set up for planetary and lunar (and for my kids) but it may be more hassle than its worth. Just not sure yet. 

On 11/06/2020 at 10:44, Alan White said:

A much smaller but equally pleasing arrival from @FLO
Should make use of the Vixen at Zenith less nerve wracking now!
and gives 10 mm more in focus than I had as well.

IMG_0164.thumb.JPG.d00fcd65353520abe0b35bd579ef25ef.JPG

They really hold on tight. A small insurance premium. 

• Like 1

This arrived on Monday from the good people at @FLO... a StellaMira 80mm ED f/10... my very first ED refractor 😀. Can't wait to get a chance to use it, but fear I may have extended the period of clouds with this purchase... if so, my apologies 🤞

StellaMira_Delivery.jpg

StellaMira_Opened.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, johninderby said:

That does look a bit familiar. 🤔.   😁😁😁

Indeed it does, and I have you to thank, as during my "lurking" here, I was avidly following the release of this and your subsequent unboxing and first light 😀

I've tested it terrestrially and it seems so much sharper and "vivid" compared to the ST80 and ST120 which I have been using up until now (fine scopes that they are).

It's sitting in its case awaiting some clear skies and then it's getting a shot at the Moon, Jupiter, Saturn and some easy doubles (I'm still a beginner!).

I have already modified the internals of the case with pluck foam (again saw your mod) and replaced the Vixen dovetail with a StellaMira Losmandy one.

Cheers

Gary

StellaMira_Case_Modified.jpg

StellaMira_Losmandy.jpg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

This arrived on Monday from the good people at @FLO... a StellaMira 80mm ED f/10... my very first ED refractor 😀. Can't wait to get a chance to use it, but fear I may have extended the period of clouds with this purchase... if so, my apologies 🤞

StellaMira_Delivery.jpg

StellaMira_Opened.jpg

That’s a thing of beauty. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, johninderby said:

You will enjoy using it. Bet you think WOW the first time you look at the moon or Jupiter etc. 👍🏻

I've got a Mak 127, which is amazing for the Moon, but I've heard so much about the good refractors, so hoping to be wowed 😀

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HollyHound said:

Thanks, it is indeed... it's also a fingerprint magnet, hence why they supply a little polishing cloth I suppose 😄

Is it mainly for visuals? Plenty of time for cleaning at the moment ☁️ 

4 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

Is it mainly for visuals? Plenty of time for cleaning at the moment ☁️ 

Totally, I am staying away from astrophotography for now, as I'm just learning and appreciating looking. Especially in the current world situation, it's been a really peaceful way to spend a few hours some evenings 😀

If I ever go down that route then will need something faster, but I'm very content for now.

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Totally, I am staying away from astrophotography for now, as I'm just learning and appreciating looking. Especially in the current world situation, it's been a really peaceful way to spend a few hours some evenings 😀

If I ever go down that route then will need something faster, but I'm very content for now.

Sounds identical to me. A few months, 6 actually, where’s the time gone.. I got an Altair 102ed-r. Your stellamira looks the same amazing quality and I’m sure you will see well with it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy Rocket said:

Got my new SkyWatcher 9x50 Right Angled Erect Image finderscope today !!! 15920352063955548509056773346270.thumb.jpg.1c51adcfaa9f53435e5d59c3584f4766.jpg

I expect you wondering if you would get it today or Monday. Maybe even some cloud gaps tonight. Enjoy. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy Rocket said:

Got my new SkyWatcher 9x50 Right Angled Erect Image finderscope today !!! 15920352063955548509056773346270.thumb.jpg.1c51adcfaa9f53435e5d59c3584f4766.jpg

Nice, you’ll enjoy that... I have the same, which I’m using to (try and) learn “star hopping” 🤞

• Like 1

Great value for money finders.

Although you might not want to spend any more one of these low profile finder brackets is an option.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Guiding-Telescope-Diameter-Finders-astrophotography/dp/B07RQT5CHV/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=svbony+guide+scope+bracket&qid=1592044467&sr=8-1

CBD2285E-5AC1-4803-8CC2-060EE4321D60.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

17 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Great value for money finders.

Although you might not want to spend any more one of these low profile finder brackets is an option.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Guiding-Telescope-Diameter-Finders-astrophotography/dp/B07RQT5CHV/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=svbony+guide+scope+bracket&qid=1592044467&sr=8-1

CBD2285E-5AC1-4803-8CC2-060EE4321D60.jpeg

Yes to be honest the bracket is a bit of an eye sore, don't know why they don't paint them black? That is a nice svbony bracket you have though. 

• Like 1