Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

More post... and a very strange sight ensues... a Canon 700d with a Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 lens attached....

(EDIT: should have said that the item in the post was the adaptor to fit my existing Nikon lenses to the recently acquired astro-modded 700D) 

IMG_5380.JPG

Edited by Tenor Viol
  • Like 4

Royal Mail strikes again! 

That's the second time this week that Royal mail has let me down! Firstly, they tried to deliver a parcel when I was out on Monday, leaving me a card. I went to collect it on Tuesday, just to find out that it was shut and only open between 7am and 9am,but not on a Wednesday. I arranged for it to be delivered to a neighbour through the website

This afternoon, I have another card saying the failed to deliver it and 2 other parcels and to collect them the new day. I spoke to the neighbour who was supposed to look after them for me, but the postie refused for "Covid-19" reasons!

I've complained to RM, so goodness knows what will happen. I'll go down tomorrow morning before 9am to collect it from the Sorting office. 

Edited by Guest

On 03/06/2020 at 12:47, JeremyS said:

Well, it's too long for a Tak 🙂

Looking forward to reading about it, John.

Is it me, or does that bloke in a raincoat and hat look well dodgy?

🙂

Totally Jeremy,

A right dodgy looking geezer! 🙂

Baz

Edited by Barry-W-Fenner
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

Just very Japanese and for a scope intended for the Japanese market. 🙄

So looking at the picture if you can't see a train in space the telescope must be broken then , strange picture

Edited by Neil H

Delivery from Germany 🇩🇪! TS-Optics 80mm f7 fpl53 doublet. Well packaged, 4 boxes to open, more like pass the parcel! Beautiful looking frac. Well finished. Waiting for the clouds to clear to gets its first light, but forecast not great 😫

0A35E8CF-63DF-46F3-9CB4-3E79A4A76222.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Sky-searcher said:

Delivery from Germany 🇩🇪! TS-Optics 80mm f7 fpl53 doublet. Well packaged, 4 boxes to open, more like pass the parcel! Beautiful looking frac. Well finished. Waiting for the clouds to clear to gets its first light, but forecast not great 😫

0A35E8CF-63DF-46F3-9CB4-3E79A4A76222.jpeg

ohh... that's one on my list... still suffering from paralysis by analysis...

• Like 3

Dell G5 series laptop arrived today. The laptop is for general purpose use, from mount control and image capture to processing. Has a 2.5 TB drive which I need for lucky imaging. The G5 is supposed to have good battery life out of the box, but I think I might downclock the CPU to get a little more. It's an RGB backlit keyboard but it seems stuck on green, I need the night vision friendly red... Also the laptop has ports at the back like an old-skool laptop!

EDIT: Keyboard is now night vision red. But DELL do not make it easy!

Edited by Ags
  • Like 3

Now, look what appeared at my doorstep this morning. It was specially priced at 78€ as it was a customer return. Also, to continue with my good luck, even those are sold as barebones, the tech guys at the shop, forgot to take out a 4Gb ram and 60Gb ssd, that they probably installed to check it's working fine + w10 os. 😊

Imagine that I was browsing for a similarly priced decent industrial USB hub, when I came across it.

IMG_20200605_000214.thumb.jpg.f83a5f73d0d587d3bb99fa792da6a946.jpg

• Like 3

Despite Royal Mail's failed attempts at 'delivery', I collected this from the Sorting Office this morning. 

Thanks to russ for shipping it in a well packaged box. 👍

20200605_081224.jpg

20200605_081231.jpg

20200605_081318.jpg

Edited by Guest

11 hours ago, R26 oldtimer said:

Now, look what appeared at my doorstep this morning. It was specially priced at 78€ as it was a customer return. Also, to continue with my good luck, even those are sold as barebones, the tech guys at the shop, forgot to take out a 4Gb ram and 60Gb ssd, that they probably installed to check it's working fine + w10 os. 😊

Imagine that I was browsing for a similarly priced decent industrial USB hub, when I came across it.

What a bargain! I bought one a couple of weeks ago and it is a good piece of kit. I would stick to SSD though you may need bigger as I tried it first with a mechanical drive and it ran VERY hot, perfect since I replaced the drive with a 240Gb SSD.

3 hours ago, Alan White said:

have had a very special delivery today;
So happy with these two, words fail me

That's excellent, Alan. That HR 3.4 is a very special eyepiece indeed 🙂. Pretty much as close to perfection as it's possible to get for planetary work in particular.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, R26 oldtimer said:

Its ok if you have the valid serial number for w10 in order to validate online,it may already be validated to the shop you got it from.

looks like what i bought recently but mine was £900 but it has a 1 TB SSd and a HD 2.5 TB with intel I5 processor and 32 GB memory.

Roger

Edited by apophisOAS

On 03/06/2020 at 12:47, JeremyS said:

Well, it's too long for a Tak 🙂

Looking forward to reading about it, John.

Is it me, or does that bloke in a raincoat and hat look well dodgy?

🙂

Reminds me a bit of the figure on the old Sandemans' Port advert..😁

Dave

• Haha 2

Pentax 20x60 S-series WP binoculars from ABS arrived just over a week ago, I've used them non-stop, mainly on ships and boats though have done some lunar. 

I seriously, seriously love these binoculars and primarily use them handheld, wearing glasses, with no issues. Compact power and quality sums it up.

The optics are the closest thing to perfection I have used, despite the somewhat limited 2.2deg FOV which isn't at all bad like it sounds - probably a function of their small overall size. CA is very well controlled I though and only visible on high contrast views if you hunt for it.

Feeling a bit greedy now with the growing collection, but each pair have their own niche. The 12x70 Celestrons (cheap and cheerful with glasses, decent optical quality and light-gathering ability) the 15x70 Apollos (heavy at 2.5kg but great FOV and take filters) and the 20/40x100 Helios Quantums (filters+aperture and power but quite a rig)

The Pentax 20x60 are perfectly sized for my hands and weigh only 1.4kg, the same as the Celestrons and well below the c.2.5kg of the Helios Apollos. Will try and do a write up later in the binocular discussion section.

PS apologies for the horrendous lens distortion on my phone which quickly and easily turns any circle into a nice ellipse! All the bins look squat or stretched out as a result, except in the centre of the frame.

IMG_20200606_081508246.jpg

IMG_20200606_080422350.jpg

IMG_20200606_080536813.jpg

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Like 7

A very nice way to start the day. My 30mm aero ED arrived. A huge thank you to Peter. ScouseSpaceCadet.

It really is a lovely looking 2" eye piece. Very well put together with some great looking glass! I can't wait to get a clear evening to test it out for some wide field viewing!

Baz

DSC_0713.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1