SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Apologies to everyone: I reasoned that it had been cloudy for so long this spring, I could buy kit and get away with it... hopefully not cursed it for next week...

I picked up a good deal on a Canon 200mm f2.8 L USM II on Ebay that arrived on Tues - and also have just found a new QHY camera well... (need a new FW and filters now :-O )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coatesg said:

Apologies to everyone: I reasoned that it had been cloudy for so long this spring, I could buy kit and get away with it... hopefully not cursed it for next week...

I picked up a good deal on a Canon 200mm f2.8 L USM II on Ebay that arrived on Tues - and also have just found a new QHY camera well... (need a new FW and filters now :-O )

Don't worry. My new big scope due today. And an eyepiece. And something else. And its only Thursday. April forecast written off whole month remaining. Autumn begins in August. Why do we buy so much stuff in the UK?! ?

Astrozap scope end covers here, get most use out of those I expect ?

Edited by 25585
  • Haha 2

My 12 inch F5 OTA has now arrived. One 5 feet tall box & another smaller one. Many thanks @FLO

Guests tomorrow to Sunday so scope towed in the garage until next week. Low cloud of course, so no rush. Something to look forward to come Monday. 

Well since it’s reached that part of the year where my other hobby fly-fishing begins to get the focus of my attention, happy to say that Postie very kindly delivered my newly repaired waders from Diver Dave. ?

Edited by DeepSkyMan

This beauty arrived this morning to pair up with the one I bought 4 years ago, and will give me 139X and 248X in the OOVX12.............. 79X *140X  in the 4" frac..........and in the 5" f15 Andromeda,

119X,( native focus) 166X, & 297X. 

I have read of other people's good fortune, turning up amazing bargains, but rarely does it happen to me, however I recently opened a dialogue with a fellow stargazer, during which he said that he had a very old and cosmetically challenged eyepiece that he felt sure would work well at f15. Apart from the scratched barrel and body, there is what appears to be tarnish/ coating degradation on the very edge of the enormous eye lens. He said that if I wished to have it, he would send it FOC !!

I thanked him for his generosity, paid the postage, and it arrived this morning also. The eye lens still looks like a lump of liquid glass, and I was quick to put it into the 4" f9 and test it out. Now I admit that daylight testing is not a good indicator necessarily of how it will perform under the stars, but I have seldom been disappointed with a night sky view after the daylight chimney pot test ( today the test was  greatly improved by the arrival of 5 starlings with their irridescent plumage, cavorting and preening for several minutes).

During the test I compared it with my University Optics 40mm Konig, and the 42mm Vixen LVW, and it was the only eyepiece which was as sharp at the edge of the field as on axis, not by a huge amount, but no adjustment of focus was needed. Of course the apparent FOV is narrow compared to the other two, and so the result could be expected, but looking into a very large lens( 42mm diameter) and seeing sharpness everywhere was excellent.

It does have very long eye relief, and I had read that eye sensitivity is a problem, but I do not find it so.

The next three nights are looking promising so hopefully I will get a chance to try this 48mm Brandon in all three scopes.

IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_0263.JPG

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0265 (1).JPG

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Saganite said:

This beauty arrived this morning to pair up with the one I bought 4 years ago, and will give me 139X and 248X in the OOVX12.............. 79X *140X  in the 4" frac..........and in the 5" f5 Andromeda,

119X,( native focus) 166X, & 297X. 

I have read of other people's good fortune, turning up amazing bargains, but rarely does it happen to me, however I recently opened a dialogue with a fellow stargazer, during which he said that he had a very old and cosmetically challenged eyepiece that he felt sure would work well at f15. Apart from the scratched barrel and body, there is what appears to be tarnish/ coating degradation on the very edge of the enormous eye lens. He said that if I wished to have it, he would send it FOC !!

I thanked him for his generosity, paid the postage, and it arrived this morning also. The eye lens still looks like a lump of liquid glass, and I was quick to put it into the 4" f9 and test it out. Now I admit that daylight testing is not a good indicator necessarily of how it will perform under the stars, but I have seldom been disappointed with a night sky view after the daylight chimney pot test ( today the test was  greatly improved by the arrival of 5 starlings with their irridescent plumage, cavorting and preening for several minutes).

During the test I compared it with my University Optics 40mm Konig, and the 42mm Vixen LVW, and it was the only eyepiece which was as sharp at the edge of the field as on axis, not by a huge amount, but no adjustment of focus was needed. Of course the apparent FOV is narrow compared to the other two, and so the result could be expected, but looking into a very large lens and seeing sharpness everywhere was excellent.

The next three nights are looking promising so hopefully I will get a chance to try this 48mm Brandon in all three scopes.

IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_0263.JPG

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0265 (1).JPG

Awesome eps. There is a 48mm on ebay US at present. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saganite said:

Lovely oculars Chris, well done. I have never tried these.:happy11:

Thanks :) They are the only 82* EP's I've found where I can see the whole FOV without my eye touching the glass! Great built and comfy. downside - the odd reflection near the Moon, and a touch EOFB, but very sharp and cheap!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

That Brandon should be superb in Andromeda at F5, er, I mean F15..:grin:

Clear skies Steve,

Dave

Well, I shall find out tonight, Andromeda is up on the pier and ready.

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 1

Nice StellarVue 9x50 RACI finder arrived a few days ago. It takes 1.25" eyepieces too -- shown with a Parks Gold 25mm in place.

It fits my FS128 finder bracket nicely and will save me a cricked neck..

I'll be sorry to see the original 7x50 Tak straight through finder go though. It's a wonderful mini scope in its' own right with illuminator and helical focuser' and the sharpest finder I've ever used..

Here's a view of both in situ..☺

Dave

IMG_20170614_204107336_HDR-1372x772.jpg

IMG_20180418_190648863.jpg

IMG_20180418_190755831.jpg

IMG_20180418_190816937.jpg

• Like 2

This morning I took delivery of this lovely little camera. Paired with one of the new Lynx Astro finder - T adapters I am turning my rarely used 9x50 finder into a guide scope.

This is the first step in my movement towards a photography set up. I look forward to playing around with this and PHD2, fingers crossed I will be able to post something into the EQ3-2 challenge thread before too long.

Many thanks to FLO for a very prompt service, having ordered only yesterday morning.

ASI120MM.thumb.jpg.909e97345bf750c6e9edd754f74fa0c3.jpg

• Like 5

Today, probably penultimate eyepiece, a Meade series 4000 40mm Plossl.

It has "Japan" engraved at the base of its chrome stem. 

Usable Eye relief just OK with glasses, but not as good as the Tele Vue 40mm Plossls, which have their eye lens much less recessed. 

IMG_20180420_131610.jpg

IMG_20180420_131642.jpg

IMG_20180420_131718.jpg

IMG_20180420_131518.jpg

Edited by 25585
  • Like 2