Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

6 hours ago, 25585 said:

Had a couple of disappointments from purchases based on advertised specs, so time to stop and sell some off perhaps. 

Sell?   But, but, but, but you are The Astro Magpie!

Have to say joking aside, far too often specification and expectation fail to merge with many purchases.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Sell?   But, but, but, but you are The Astro Magpie!

Have to say joking aside, far too often specification and expectation fail to merge with many purchases.

As long as my core eps remain, the ones I treasure and/or use most. 

• Like 1

Just had a text from DHL advising me that some new toys are arriving today :)

A powertank for my new mount, a LP filter and a BST 12mm ED eyepiece.

Hoping the clouds clear tonight to try the eyepiece out, but it is not looking good :( 

Edit:  Another message, this time from FLO, advising my Mak is in the post! Woo Hoo :blob7:

Edited by cv01jw
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, cv01jw said:

Just had a text from DHL advising me that some new toys are arriving today :)

A powertank for my new mount, a LP filter and a BST 12mm ED eyepiece.

Hoping the clouds clear tonight to try the eyepiece out, but it is not looking good :( 

Edit:  Another message, this time from FLO, advising my Mak is in the post! Woo Hoo :blob7:

Today is a good day for you. Also, thanks for reminding me..........i really should get a new powertank. 

Off i go to FLO.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Today is a good day for you. Also, thanks for reminding me..........i really should get a new powertank. 

Off i go to FLO.

Tomorrow will be better if the Mak arrives.

Although I have made a fundamental error because I am not collected the mount until next week, so I am going to be sat looking at my new toys for a while.

2 minutes ago, cv01jw said:

Tomorrow will be better if the Mak arrives.

Although I have made a fundamental error because I am not collected the mount until next week, so I am going to be sat looking at my new toys for a while.

Not to worry, the weather forecast is rubbish for the next week. Also the clocks go forward this weekend, so the evenings will be brighter........less observing time.

This weekend I'll probably be swapping cameras over. Getting the new ASI183 on the 80mm, and maybe putting the ASI1600 on the 130mm, though that will require a rebalance of the rig if I swap the Trius for the ASI.

Yesterday I collected a very nice, new to me WO EZTouch Alt Az mount from @Rob.

I know it's not an AYO but it's as close to an AYO as this poor man is likely to get.

I had a brief play tonight and I'm very pleased with it, the variable friction is a wonderful feature given the learning curve I'm facing with a Giro GR-2, but that's another thread.

Really looking forward to getting some good use out of this mount.

20180327_163719.thumb.jpg.8f395eea3a3c4d9293a428e5fb8459af.jpg20180327_163727.thumb.jpg.7bf01283281c18a838c3ebcee5c8fd8c.jpg

• Like 10

Sorry for the bad weather. My new toys have finally arrived.

Qhy183c, geoptik adapter with a rotator and an adjuster for my dual rig thanks to Allinthehead. 

I wonder how long it will be before I can play with my new toys?

DSC_1898.JPG

DSC_1899.JPG

DSC_1902.JPG

• Like 3

On 27/03/2018 at 23:31, AdeKing said:

Yesterday I collected a very nice, new to me WO EZTouch Alt Az mount from @Rob.

I know it's not an AYO but it's as close to an AYO as this poor man is likely to get.

I had a brief play tonight and I'm very pleased with it, the variable friction is a wonderful feature given the learning curve I'm facing with a Giro GR-2, but that's another thread.

Really looking forward to getting some good use out of this mount.

20180327_163719.thumb.jpg.8f395eea3a3c4d9293a428e5fb8459af.jpg20180327_163727.thumb.jpg.7bf01283281c18a838c3ebcee5c8fd8c.jpg

Congratulations! 

That mount is very close to an AYOII. It will certainly serve you well! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Piero said:

Congratulations! 

That mount is very close to an AYOII. It will certainly serve you well! 

Thanks, it is a lovely mount now I just need the clouds to clear so I can use it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, AdeKing said:

Thanks, it is a lovely mount now I just need the clouds to clear so I can use it.

Don't we all Ade, don’t we all.  

That is a very nice mount, had considered it myself, but got an Altair Sabre more local to me.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2018 at 23:31, AdeKing said:

Yesterday I collected a very nice, new to me WO EZTouch Alt Az mount

Well done Ade. I'm sure you will enjoy it. I've got one of those which I use with either my Tak FS102 or my C9.25. It's a lovely piece of kit.

• Like 2

On 01/04/2018 at 09:15, JeremyS said:

Well done Ade. I'm sure you will enjoy it. I've got one of those which I use with either my Tak FS102 or my C9.25. It's a lovely piece of kit.

All top notch Dobsons seem to have large bearings. Owning a 8" skywatcher, I can imagine that larger bearings can make the axial movements smoother and more precise with reduced vibration damping. I believe that Beat designed his mounts with the same principle in mind. 

Edited by Piero
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...