Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

On 27/02/2020 at 22:32, AdeKing said:

Collected this evening, a new to me Vixen GP head and original counterweight in very nice condition but sadly missing the plastic cover for where the RA motor fits, a fact that I sadly didn't notice until I'd got it home and took a long while looking at it and pondering why it didn't look quite "right" before it clicked what was missing.

Fits nicely to my modded wooden TAL Tripod.

Hoping that my Skywatcher enhanced dual drives will fit it without to much bodging. Hoping it's a straight forward case of bolt straight on, which other posts seem to suggest is the case.

I have to say that from just playing with the slow motion controls that there appears to be virtually no backlash on either axis, something which can't be said of my EQ5.

I'm keen to experience first hand what a real Vixen GP is like and see what all the fuss is about.

IMG_20200227_215728.jpg

I sold my Vixen GP to a non-SGL person, and he said the same... "virtually zero backlash in both axes." - he is/was using an EQ3/2 as well. The only reasons for selling was...

1. it was at the max-payload capacity with a C6/SCT & my 're-modded' ETX105 side-by-side.
  2. cannot be bothered with the faffing about with north alignment, polar alignment, etc., after spending a day at work, and then start observing.

Perhaps one day I will regret selling it... truth is... I already do! - I was sorry to see it go.

@AdeKing I am sure you will love it, as much as I did mine. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Philip R said:

I sold my Vixen GP to a non-SGL person, and he said the same... "virtually zero backlash in both axes." - he is/was using an EQ3/2 as well. The only reasons for selling was...

1. it was at the max-payload capacity with a C6/SCT & my 're-modded' ETX105 side-by-side.
  2. cannot be bothered with the faffing about with north alignment, polar alignment, etc., after spending a day at work, and then start observing.

Perhaps one day I will regret selling it... truth is... I already do! - I was sorry to see it go.

@AdeKing I am sure you will love it, as much as I did mine. 

Thanks Philip,

I'm a confessed Alt AZ man really, having not really taken to the EQ5. 

But I have to say that I'm really looking forward to using the GP and I'm already suffering from Vixen fever, being on the lookout for either the MT-1 motors and DD-2 controller or, even though I know it's unlikely, a SkySensor 2000 PC setup.

It would be nice to have an all Vixen setup.

I shall be monitoring SGL Classifieds, ABS and eBay for motors on a regular basis.

I don't bother with polar aligning, just a bit of string between the E & W legs line up against a compass and off I go.

I'm visual only so that help as I don't need to be too accurate.

Ade

• Like 1

Got myself a gift for birthday and celebrating my promotion (which was needed to pay for this hobby :))

Cabt wait for better weather to try out dedicated astro am and mono with filters. Before I was using my trusty Canon 60d. Also curious about setting up with polemaster. 

Thanks to flo for getting it to me in super fast time despite delayed shipments from zwo due to corona 

P_20200302_204625.jpg

• Like 1

I bought 3 of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00004YOKC Tri-Dolly’s (one per leg) to shift the scope tripod in and out if the workshop really assembled. They came today and are ideal for smoothish concrete surfaces, not so good for rough ground as the castors are about 30mm diameter. Once the tripod is wheeled into position lift one leg of the tripod and remove. Repeat on the other remaining two and you are sorted.

239F1CBC-558E-4CE7-AC4B-D8784BA8EA65.thumb.jpeg.8ffcd76acc98bed4db265c964e3c2662.jpeg

Capacity around 200lbs (90kg] per skate so 600lb (270kg) total. Not many rigs weigh that much! Mine weighs about 25kg to 35kg total including counter weights dependant upon which OTA I use. A little pricey, for what they are, and there are cheaper alternatives but these seem to be heavier duty than the Silverline ones for instance.

Edited by TerryMcK
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LordLoki said:

Got myself a gift for birthday and celebrating my promotion (which was needed to pay for this hobby :))

Cabt wait for better weather to try out dedicated astro am and mono with filters. Before I was using my trusty Canon 60d. Also curious about setting up with polemaster. 

Thanks to flo for getting it to me in super fast time despite delayed shipments from zwo due to corona 

P_20200302_204625.jpg

Vey nice haul LordLoki

• Like 1

Ordered yesterday, arrived today (brilliant service again from @FLO ), installed in the filter holder, gear setup outside and foucssed with BM and now collecting amazing images of Heart & Soul - and not a cloud in sight! How lucky am I?

IMG_0008.thumb.JPG.e31043554685222e05dd5d013feaeba9.JPG

Adrian

• Like 2

Showtime! Helios Quantum 5 20/40x100mm Observation bins with case (update - think they are gen 5.1, not the 5.2), well-used but in good overall nick and collimation is spot on. Very good price. Will be welding up a stainless fork mount/dobson style mount this summer, but in the meantime, will scrounge around for a second-hand AZ4 or similar. These are some hefty binoculars!

Has anyone been able to use their own 1.25" EPs in these? Mine won't slot in far enough to reach focus, but recall reading about some solution. The current EPs don't accept filters from what I can tell. 

Will ask again in new thread on binocular forum.

IMG_20200304_171229846_2.jpg

IMG_20200304_171244009_2_filtered.jpg

Edited by Ships and Stars
typo
  • Like 6

On 26/02/2020 at 12:54, carastro said:

First time I have been able to contribute anything to this thread as not bought anything new for ages. 

On recommendation on various threads on SGL I have bought one of these:

Now all I need to do is work out how to use the various settings as not experienced with camera lens imaging.

Took me 10 minutes to work out how to remove the lens hood which was on upside down for posting, all the instructions are in German!!!

It's brand new and comes with a nice pouch to keep it in. 

Carole 

IMG_1079.JPG

IMG_1082.JPG

IMG_1083.JPG

IMG_1084.JPG

I can get the lens caps off but not back on for storage! Nice lens. I've bought a second hand 85mm recently but not tried it yet. I notice you've got a Skytracker too. I need to spend some time with mine.

• Like 1

What did the postman bring? He didn't bring anything. We have a new one and he doesn't like bringing things. He likes sticking a slip in the letterbox saying he tried to bring something but we weren't in (when we were) so we should collect it the following day at the post office. When we go to the post office he hasn't brought it there either so we are invited to come back the next day. Now you might think that this is a pain in the bum but that's because you don't know how nice it is talking to our young postmistress! 😍

😁lly

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

What did the postman bring? He didn't bring anything. We have a new one and he doesn't like bringing things. He likes sticking a slip in the letterbox saying he tried to bring something but we weren't in (when we were) so we should collect it the following day at the post office. When we go to the post office he hasn't brought it there either so we are invited to come back the next day. Now you might think that this is a pain in the bum but that's because you don't know how nice it is talking to our young postmistress! 😍

😁lly

Mon dieu, and you said you didn't have a  mistress in your "I'm a Frenchman" post.  

Regards Andrew 

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, andrew s said:

Mon dieu, and you said you didn't have a  mistress in your "I'm a Frenchman" post.  

Regards Andrew 

Alas, the young lady in question cannot be expected to oblige all her admirers with more than a charming smile!

Olly

20200305_184021.jpg.972d28c87c572291e60dffb8b2c94f7d.jpg

Two new goodies in one box from FLO today. 

A Vixen SLV 2.5mm EP and a SW RACI finder.

At 600x the Vixen will be far too much magnification for most views except hopefully the moon. I am keen to try to see the Plato Craterlets which I haven't managed yet, and also the Alpine Rille which I sort of might have seen at 375x but not convinced.

The RACI finder I've wanted for a while, the straight through finder is fine and being quite tall I can lean over the scope to look through it, but the darned upside down back to front view still throws me after two years.

I have a query, I've seen in folks pictures of their Dobs that their RACI eyepiece is turned towards the observer and would like to know if this is achieved by simply unscrewing the diagonal unit slightly a quarter of a turn, I can't seem to turn the whole finder scope in its holder.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Whistlin Bob said:

If you loosen the alignment screws the whole thing comes out- it's quite easy then 👍

I tried that Bob but it wouldn't budge, perhaps I need to be a bit more forceful?

Edit; More force used and it suddenly budged, really was stuck hard though. Will put a little silicone on the rubber O ring to keep it from sticking. :) 

Edited by Geoff Barnes

On 02/03/2020 at 21:12, LordLoki said:

P_20200302_204625.jpg

Looks very exciting! What ZWO camera did you buy - probably one that they had in stock in Europe. I ordered an ASI2600 from Pierro Astro in France a month ago but have no idea when it may arrive.... Has anyone any information about to what extent ZWO is up and running?

A healthy haul of Vixen parts for my recently acquired Vixen GP.

IMG_20200305_164151_noexif.thumb.jpg.b8befcb5c98c46aabcd0a64e95ad4b3a.jpg

Polar scope covers and short slow motion control knobs courtesy of @mikeDnight.

RA cover and blanking plates and more control knobs via ABS.

Vixen MT-4 motors and cogs via eBay from @Stu

The green RA cover is original Vixen, the polar scope cover is a blue Vixen part painted in Smoothrite Wild Thyme by Mike, and whilst a bit darker,  not a bad match at all, thanks Mike.

IMG_20200305_164944_noexif.thumb.jpg.f8708115b680c1a6d60b6a89ca70e28f.jpg

Here is the almost as new GP on a TAL wooden tripod modded with an EQ5 top plate.

Just need to find a working SkySensor 2000 setup or Vixen MT-1 motors and DD-2 controller or similar now.

For the time being the Skywatcher dual axis drives will do the job, but it would be nice to have an all Vixen setup.

Thanks to Mike and Ade Ashford, via ABS for providing parts and asking nothing for them, much obliged to you gents.

Edited by AdeKing
Spelling
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Geoff Barnes said:

I tried that Bob but it wouldn't budge, perhaps I need to be a bit more forceful?

Edit; More force used and it suddenly budged, really was stuck hard though. Will put a little silicone on the rubber O ring to keep it from sticking. :) 

losen the two plastic screws, and pull and hold out the sliver screw, then rotate finder too suit

Edited by Frank the Troll