Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

With grateful thanks to @johninderby, a very nice 6x30 RACI with low-profile mounting.

IMG_20200227_142842368.jpg.818698c054b5cf5f167cf52b5e54871c.jpg

This little guy did not seem very happy at first, would not accept any of my spare finder shoes, had to faff about a bit. I suspect that it's a bit miffed that it got passed over for StellaMira duty. :grin:

IMG_20200227_142446922.jpg.e15ac710025abba880d27754c2451069.jpg

Alas, it is the way of things, it will have to slum it out with Bjorn for the time being. :happy11:

IMG_20200227_142542493.jpg.eef9bb8d43765a83dee275c0677ef34c.jpg

I don't expect the weather to improve for a year or two (hundred), but in case it does, even if only for two minutes, we can grab - and go.

• Like 1

Collected this evening, a new to me Vixen GP head and original counterweight in very nice condition but sadly missing the plastic cover for where the RA motor fits, a fact that I sadly didn't notice until I'd got it home and took a long while looking at it and pondering why it didn't look quite "right" before it clicked what was missing.

Fits nicely to my modded wooden TAL Tripod.

Hoping that my Skywatcher enhanced dual drives will fit it without to much bodging. Hoping it's a straight forward case of bolt straight on, which other posts seem to suggest is the case.

I have to say that from just playing with the slow motion controls that there appears to be virtually no backlash on either axis, something which can't be said of my EQ5.

I'm keen to experience first hand what a real Vixen GP is like and see what all the fuss is about.

IMG_20200227_215728.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AdeKing said:

Collected this evening, a new to me Vixen GP head and original counterweight in very nice condition but sadly missing the plastic cover for where the RA motor fits, a fact that I sadly didn't notice until I'd got it home and took a long while looking at it and pondering why it didn't look quite "right" before it clicked what was missing.

Hoping that my Skywatcher enhanced dual drives will fit it without to much bodging. Hoping it's a straight forward case of bolt straight on, which other posts seem to suggest is the case.

I have to say that from just playing with the slow motion controls that there appears to be virtually no backlash on either axis, something which can't be said of my EQ5.

I'm keen to experience first hand what a real Vixen GP is like and see what all the fuss is about.

IMG_20200227_215728.jpg

Nice!. Your skywatcher Drives will be ok on there. I seem to recall (from a long distant memory) you may need a longer bolt for the RA... I'm sure its this mount it relates to, not the exos-2.

Rob

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rob said:

Nice!. Your skywatcher Drives will be ok on there. I seem to recall (from a long distant memory) you may need a longer bolt for the RA... I'm sure its this mount it relates to, not the exos-2.

Rob

Thanks Rob, I think they will as well. The Dec motor does fit ok, but I haven't tried the RA motor yet as that required a little more effort on my part.

I'll have a look and check the bolt length tonight.

Strange thing is that the RA clutch lever operates the opposite way to the EQ5, it rotates upwards towards the Dec axis so only turns a little bit. Anyone know if this is normal?

Need to locate a plastic RA cover and covers for both ends of the polar scope.

I'll think I'll ask @mikeDnight where he got his covers from.

Looking forward to getting to use it now.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

Thanks Rob, I think they will as well. The Dec motor does fit ok, but I haven't tried the RA motor yet as that required a little more effort on my part.

I'll have a look and check the bolt length tonight.

Strange thing is that the RA clutch lever operates the opposite way to the EQ5, it rotates upwards towards the Dec axis so only turns a little bit. Anyone know if this is normal?

Need to locate a plastic RA cover and covers for both ends of the polar scope.

I'll think I'll ask @mikeDnight where he got his covers from.

Looking forward to getting to use it now.

I'll PM you. ☺

• Thanks 1

On 26/02/2020 at 20:40, R26 oldtimer said:

Thanks to @Stu
this great little mount arrived yesterday!

It took some time to get to my hands (2 months) since it was first posted in mid-December. It began its journey from the U. K., came all the way to Athens, Greece and stayed in the local courier post ( a couple of hundred meters away from my home) for a 3 week "vacation" because the "fellas" at the local courier post, never bothered to deliver it, before sending it back to Stu.( At this point, Stu, I am rather surprised that you didn't contributed to this thread, upon its arrival 🤣)

Even though we've asked for at least a free re-send or refund that never happened. To his credit, Stu paid in full for a second dispatch, even though I offered to chip in, or arrange for a week's stay, should he had decided to deliver it in person😁( don't worry..., next time). And now, it's finally here!

Let me say at this point, as I've read some recent threads on not wanting to sell abroad, this: Couriers sometimes do a lousy job whether a parcel is delivered within one country or multiple countries. Of course during those two months there were a couple of hairy moments, but neither of us got afraid that the other part wouldn't honour his part of the agreement, even beyond what was originally agreed, to satisfy the other. I think that's because we all share a bond as fellow amateur astronomers, that's even greater than just living in the same country or speaking the same language.

Now, without any further delay, here is what the postman brought!

IMG_20200226_214409.thumb.jpg.ba538bef6118306f4d6c84f36e2b4b14.jpg

And this, was the last piece of the puzzle, of my ultra portable setup!

IMG_20200226_214653.thumb.jpg.82d0f3f2ad4947c74ebc820d2a71d59a.jpg

So relieved it got to you finally Diomedes, thank you for your patience! I must say I was highly delighted when it did actually find its way back to me after so long, better than being lost forever in the system.

It does emphasise the importance of putting your return address clearly on the package, without that I would have been lost.

Some learnings for me in terms of shipping abroad, DPD have done an excellent job for me at good prices recently including this one so I will use them again in future. Dropping off to a local point makes it very affordable and convenient.

Hope you enjoy the mount, and maybe one day I will come and see you!

Cheers,

Stu

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, carastro said:

Is that a portable mount? Have you got a link to it, or it's proper name?

Hi Carole, it's the sw azgti on a photo tripod with a fluid video head serving as eq wedge. As long there is no wind or you don't touch it, it is actually pretty stable, but the keyword here is ultra portable!

• Like 2

The postman delivered some mounting hardware today. 
I had considered just putting saddles on a losmandy dovetail, but now seeing the two side by side, the proper mounting bar  is substantially thicker than the dovetail bar.

9BF1AC2A-A536-49B4-BC19-F85EC2594C3B.jpeg

E9FF1215-170A-412F-A6D4-0CE502CD9E43.jpeg

• Like 6

On 27/02/2020 at 22:32, AdeKing said:

IMG_20200227_215728.jpg

There is a plastic cover for sale on eBay at the moment , just search Vixen

• Thanks 1

A roll about TV trolley stand. 🙂

Had a 40” Panasonic 4K TV sitting unused in the closet so decided to get a stand with a tray suitable for a laptop. Will actually be able to read the text on Firecapture for a change. 😁

20187148-EA35-453D-B42F-68DCEF5C4F9F.jpeg

CAFBBDEF-F934-4AAC-92E9-F896067E714A.jpeg

82ED5E69-65D2-4882-8A52-05CBE605B853.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

I decided to give the OAG a go on the 10” scope. I picked this up from the flo clearance section. I also bought a new black fan cover for my QHY9 camera.

Testing and setting up focus today. It’s going to be very very tight for inward travel.

61F09C92-1F5C-4E4E-A9D3-70ED75D3D3D3.jpeg

B2E7BC2E-F3DC-4355-BB6A-0221DD07C686.jpeg

A287E2B2-6009-4A3A-ABF3-097B7B7F5464.jpeg

01DDF7E1-6B68-4AF6-8E8E-0B1D92BDC51D.jpeg

5EB8628C-0142-413A-BD34-239330573FBA.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

A roll about TV trolley stand. 🙂

Had a 40” Panasonic 4K TV sitting unused in the closet so decided to get a stand with a tray suitable for a laptop. Will actually be able to read the text on Firecapture for a change. 😁

20187148-EA35-453D-B42F-68DCEF5C4F9F.jpeg

CAFBBDEF-F934-4AAC-92E9-F896067E714A.jpeg

82ED5E69-65D2-4882-8A52-05CBE605B853.jpeg

That looks very top heavy. You are a braver man than me. :smiley:

• Like 1