Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

1 hour ago, Uplooker said:

Hi F15,

Sorry to say I am not familiar with the Parks brand. How do they perform? Are they more suited to slower / longer FL optics?

Hi, Uplooker,

These are quite old eyepieces, but back in the 1980s and 90s they were highly regarded..

The Celestron Axiom/ Ultima range were probably the best known, also the Takahashi LEs which are a very similar design.

They give very good, sharp views with very good edge correction down to c F5,and are often favourably compared to Tele Vue plossls, but with a slightly wider view and better eye relief.

HTH ☺..

Dave

• Like 3

Thanks Steve?.

I thought hard about buying these, but I've always really liked vintage quality Japanese glass and I'll be very interested to see how these compare with my Pentax and LVW EPs. My

The Parks Gold are quite uncommon in the UK, which adds to their appeal for me☺.

All I need now to get the set is a 5mm and a 35mm!

I'm opening a thread on the Eyepiece forum so as not to hijack this thread☺..

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 1

Just now, F15Rules said:

Thanks Steve?.

I thought hard about buying these, but I've always really liked vintage quality Japanese glass and I'll be very interested to see how these compare with my Pentax and LVW EPs.

The Parks Gold are quite uncommon in the UK, which adds to their appeal for me☺.

All I need now to get the set is a 5mm and a 35mm!

Dave

Nice set Dave, very nice indeed.

Now know what the 7xl sale was about, or is that a other purchase?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, 25585 said:

I think the Parks Gold were same as Baader Eudiascopic, of which I have a 30mm. It's a good ep rivalling TV 32mm Plossl. 

Correct☺.The Eudiascopic seems to be intermittently available in just a couple of sizes (and quite expensive too)

Rother Valley optics list 3 variants of the Antares Elite (will be new old stock if they do have some), and you may find the odd Tak LE new, although I think they have now been replaced by the new TOE range..

Dave

4 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Nice set Dave, very nice indeed.

Now know what the 7xl sale was about, or is that a other purchase?

Yes, Alan, I sold the XL7 and a couple of other items to fund these?..time will tell whether I made a good decision or not.. ?

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 1

Just now, F15Rules said:

Yes, Alan, I sold the XL7 and a couple of other items to fund these?..time will tell whether I made a good decision ?

Dave

If they are as nice as the Tak LE then I am sure they will great in your refractors, perhaps not the Vixen though.....

how about I give you a fiver for the Vixen and save the upset ?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Yes, Alan, I sold the XL7 and a couple of other items to fund these?..time will tell whether I made a good decision or not.. ?

Dave

I have sold (& lost) eps, then bought same again. Got a new Vixen LV 18mm last week. Gives 50x in my 900mm FL scopes. Quite a rare LV so must have been introduced later but before NLV re-styling. 

11 minutes ago, Alan White said:

If they are as nice as the Tak LE then I am sure they will great in your refractors, perhaps not the Vixen though.....

how about I give you a fiver for the Vixen and save the upset ?

Nice try Alan!:thumbsup:

Did you see there is a Vixen ED102SS F6.5 on UKABS this evening?

I think it's the same model that John Huntley has..it's actually from the same seller I bought my first ED103s from.

IMO the price for the above one is a bit high, I reckon £600 or so would be about right..should be a great scope, ask John!

Dave

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Nice try Alan!:thumbsup:

Did you see there is a Vixen ED102SS F6.5 on UKABS this evening?

I think it's the same model that John Huntley has..it's actually from the same seller I bought my first ED103s from.

IMO the price for the above one is a bit high, I reckon £600 or so would be about right..should be a great scope, ask John!

Dave

Considering selling my SW Equinox 100mm. But if a Vixen is only worth £600, might not be worth it. I would have asked £675 & buyer collect. 

3 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Considering selling my SW Equinox 100mm. But if a Vixen is only worth £600, might not be worth it. I would have asked £675 & buyer collect. 

That Vixen model is quite old, I think John has had his for about 10 years..at F6.5 and your 'Nox at F9, I doubt there would be a large difference (your F9 has fine optics) - although the tube would be a good deal shorter (but " fatter", with a 114mm ID tube).

At the end of the day it's worth what someone would pay, and sadly Vixens don't hold their value Vs new price like Taks do, which is a shame, as they almost always have great optics.

Anyway, to avoid hijacking this thread, we could begin another one about Vixen scopes and resale values if you like, Alan??..

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Postman :- extra long drill bits and 5mm grub screws for 3D printer construction.

Courier :- 3 books about painting portraits in watercolour plus 4 A3 size frames for my paintings from Amazon :)

Well, since last time; a 2nd Skywatcher ST 80, 2nd WO RACI diagonal, 2nd TV 40mm Plossl - I am  assembling a pair of astro bins. Initially, if it works, 10 x 80.

Also a 2nd Tak clamp as my other "ring" for the DL.

Edited by 25585

On 09/03/2018 at 18:28, 25585 said:

Well, since last time; a 2nd Skywatcher ST 80, 2nd WO RACI diagonal, 2nd TV 40mm Plossl - I am  assembling a pair of astro bins. Initially, if it works, 10 x 80.

Also a 2nd Tak clamp as my other "ring" for the DL.

Are you going to do a thread on this? Will you need 6x diagonals for adjusting the IPD?

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, 25585 said:

2 diagonals might be enough as ST80 tubes are not too broad.

It's worth a try :) My gut feeling is you'll need 4 more diagonals, but might be ok if you have a really wide IPD? I think my IPD is 62mm so I would probably struggle.