Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

nightfisher

What did the postman bring?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Captain Magenta said:

This just arrived. Anyone care to guess what it is? I certainly wouldn't have known had I not had a certain need and looked it up...

It’s clearly a device for attaching  one end of the rail to a female thread with a force that will stop it rotating and attaching something to the other end of the rail for some obscure and devious purpose. I simply can’t imagine what though! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This it in action. I recently dropped my 6mm eyepiece onto paving, and slightly dented the filter ring so that filters obviously now won't fit. This tool doesn't seem to have a name as such, but could be described as a filter-ring repair tool, or perhaps a re-circulariser,or a dent-pusher-outer. You insert the round halves into the dented circle, and the threaded rod pushes the two halves apart. The other side has a larger diameter pair of curves. I haven't actually done it yet, just proved that it fits. Gently, gently and little by little I guess...

IMG_6404.thumb.jpg.6af9bfee9f49069b0b06b70e222f495e.jpg

IMG_6406.thumb.jpg.6579cb7b49d09b97c68324ef9723f119.jpg

 

 

Edited by Captain Magenta
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

You insert the round halves into the dented circle, and the threaded rod pushes it out.

Genius! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

This it in action. I recently dropped my 6mm eyepiece onto paving, and slightly dented the filter ring so that filters obviously now won't fit. This tool doesn't seem to have a name as such, but could be described as a filter-ring repair tool, or perhaps a re-circulariser,or a dent-pusher-outer. You insert the round halves into the dented circle, and the threaded rod pushes the two halves apart. The other side has a larger diameter pair of curves. I haven't actually done it yet, just proved that it fits. Gently, gently and little by little I guess...

IMG_6404.thumb.jpg.6af9bfee9f49069b0b06b70e222f495e.jpg

IMG_6406.thumb.jpg.6579cb7b49d09b97c68324ef9723f119.jpg

 

 

I have a Pentax zoom that could benefit from that 🙄

Helen

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just arrived - I have absolutely no need whatsoever for a 90mm Mak but I have a real thing for the ETX range and this will go nicely alongside my 125 OTA.  May just use it as a display piece - a poor mans Questar perhaps  

Next up - ETX80.......

 

maybe.....

image.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After much deliberation over budget 10x50 binos, the choices were nailed down to Opticron Adventurer, Helios Fieldmaster or Olympus DPS-I, Olympus won the day...

 

IMG_20200127_170258649.thumb.jpg.787886774a7b60a507b33dbe5721d9e3.jpg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wormix said:

Just arrived - I have absolutely no need whatsoever for a 90mm Mak but I have a real thing for the ETX range and this will go nicely alongside my 125 OTA.  May just use it as a display piece - a poor mans Questar perhaps  

Next up - ETX80.......

 

maybe.....

image.jpg

Brings back memories the ETX90 great little scope. 
I wonder if mike weasners mighty ETX site is still going ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Danjc said:

Brings back memories the ETX90 great little scope. 
I wonder if mike weasners mighty ETX site is still going ? 

It’s not updated anymore, but it’s still there to browse through if needed. 
 

Hopefully won’t need any of the info on there for a while, as this version seems to be in excellent condition - barely used.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to dweller25, a set of DK3-A drives for my venerable GPDX mount, complete with clutches and a fancy Lynxastro power cable. 

F284D93E-1118-4DB8-B732-90E59876B8F0.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, wormix said:
48 minutes ago, Danjc said:

 

It’s not updated anymore, but it’s still there to browse through if needed.

Just had a look to 👍🏻
It was a great site in its day...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my defence, it was already cloudy....

IMG_4422.JPG.5251480cdb065c690a5ec32b1bb2f2d7.JPG

IMG_4425.JPG.b8e6f936999b4d068597160c2bfb5936.JPG

IMG_4430.JPG.0117809fdfa92806430671d2f1146fe2.JPG

Sorting the cable runs out will keep me quiet for a while 🙂

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Yawning Angel said:

In my defence, it was already cloudy....

IMG_4422.JPG.5251480cdb065c690a5ec32b1bb2f2d7.JPG

IMG_4425.JPG.b8e6f936999b4d068597160c2bfb5936.JPG

IMG_4430.JPG.0117809fdfa92806430671d2f1146fe2.JPG

Sorting the cable runs out will keep me quiet for a while 🙂

Beautiful mount. One thing to note that the polemaster adapter does not hold the polemaster properly (at least was my experience). What resolved the issue for me was to not rely on the single thumb screw but to add the additional thumb screw and that fixed the issue for me. Hope this helps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Hope this helps. 

Thank you! It didn't feel fantastic when I fitted them together, so I nipped it down with the cross head. I'll dig a couple of hex bolts out and nail it down

Edited by Yawning Angel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yawning Angel said:

Thank you! It didn't feel fantastic when I fitted them together, so I nipped it down with the cross head. I'll dig a couple of hex bolts out and nail to down

No worries. You really don't need to bolt them down. Just finger tight will be just fine :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"What did the postman bring" Nothing! I am so upset. I have a small list of trinkets that I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of!

 

Baz

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not the postman but DPD from FLO.  Heavyweight and very strong, this should do what I want. 😀

406436887_Screenshotfrom2020-01-2816-16-25.thumb.png.059ca115bd94dad49230d02fef911c21.png

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dew heater for my 127 Mak:

dew-strap-01.jpg

Sadly I'm not organised enough this evening to try it out.

James

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JamesF said:

Dew heater for my 127 Mak:

dew-strap-01.jpg

Sadly I'm not organised enough this evening to try it out.

James

I like those James, I have one on my C8, 72ED and finder guider. Really nicely made and can be used without a controller.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, knobby said:

I like those James, I have one on my C8, 72ED and finder guider. Really nicely made and can be used without a controller.

Yes, they do appear quite well-made and very reasonably-priced, too.  Sadly they didn't have any 30cm ones in stock.  I'd quite like one for a guide scope and another for a camera lens.  At some point I will have to bite the bullet and invest in longer ones, too -- for my C9.25, for example.

James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.