Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

nightfisher

What did the postman bring?

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Ah the big 50. You’re allmost grown up then. 😁😁😁

I keep wondering when I will actually feel like I am! 🤣🤣

14 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Good thing you went for the rubber feet on the tripod, @Stu. I fear the  alternative of the metal spikes might damage Mrs Stu’s carpet.

i have both, but mainly use the rubber feet. Spikes would be good on grass, though.

I have been wondering about buying spikes for it. I normally observe on grass, and  suspect they will be better for that. Not so expensive so I might just grab some to try.

Whilst it is a very expensive tripod, it's nice that it comes with the spreader and tray included which are extras for the Uni 28 and make quite a difference to ease of use and stability I think.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Stu said:

Whilst it is a very expensive tripod, it's nice that it comes with the spreader and tray included which are extras for the Uni 28 and make quite a difference to ease of use and stability I think.

The good thing about the trays is that they can be swapped between different tripods. A while after I got my Planet, which came with the tray, I bought a Report, which came without a tray. I was pleasantly surprised to find the same tray fits both (I don't use both tripods at the same time). 

I believe there are actually 2 sizes of tray, so one needs to check if they fit a particular tripod.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a reply to anyone of you in particular but I am gob smacked by that tripod. I am a love of the old school (not everything has to be carbon fibre) I know, you are all in the know and one of you has it in his or hers house, but some info to the uninformed would be nice. Who makes that that thing of beauty?
 

Marv

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Thanks for the advice, I will look into it. Small inexpensive changes I like. Going to use it for a few months then floc it, blacken edges and a light shield.

Forgot to say that it was massively out of collimation. Thankfully I have a laser so in a couple of minutes all was sorted. I like to think that they are shipped with all the main mirror screws loose to allow the mirror some cushioning whilst in transit🤔

M

As you are in France I bought my flocking material from 

https://www.feutrine-express.fr/store/Feutrine-adhesive-au-metre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fozzybear said:

As you are in France I bought my flocking material from 

https://www.feutrine-express.fr/store/Feutrine-adhesive-au-metre

Cheers, always interested in a local source especially as buying from elsewhere requires a monetary exchange.

Thankfully I bought a big roll from FLO first time around so I think I have enough left over for the 150.

If you don’t mind I am going to pm you. Reply if you want.

Marv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Marvin Jenkins said:

Cheers, always interested in a local source especially as buying from elsewhere requires a monetary exchange.

Thankfully I bought a big roll from FLO first time around so I think I have enough left over for the 150.

If you don’t mind I am going to pm you. Reply if you want.

Marv

no probs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Not a reply to anyone of you in particular but I am gob smacked by that tripod. I am a love of the old school (not everything has to be carbon fibre) I know, you are all in the know and one of you has it in his or hers house, but some info to the uninformed would be nice. Who makes that that thing of beauty?
 

Marv

Marv, it is a thing of beauty indeed, made by Berlebach. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/berlebach-tripods.html

Not only do they look lovely, but they are warm to the touch even when it's cold, and have excellent vibration damping. I have lusted after one of these for a long time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Stu said:

Marv, it is a thing of beauty indeed, made by Berlebach. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/berlebach-tripods.html

Not only do they look lovely, but they are warm to the touch even when it's cold, and have excellent vibration damping. I have lusted after one of these for a long time.

You didn’t mention the lovely smell of the wood, Stu 🙂

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

The smell.. that gasoline smell. Smells like... smells like victory.

LiLr.gif

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JeremyS said:

You didn’t mention the lovely smell of the wood, Stu 🙂

 

That is probably the remnants of my manflu preventing me from appreciating it at the moment!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some twin wheel braked castors for the Bresser 10” dob. Cheaper to buy a set of four although of course only three needed. 

65840984-64C4-42D4-A2F9-DE67972EC086.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the cheapest ways to improve cyclops observing I find - a decent eyepatch to replace my previous one (which came out of a Christmas cracker). Not just essential for solar, but night time too. Few quid on Amazon

9EB59BDE-B3B9-461D-AEA4-80335E604164.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Blimey that’s a big picture. Any advice on how to reduce the size?

Ideally reduce before uploading, otherwise, while editing double click after its uploaded and reduce the size in the dialogue appears.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New illuminator for my Explore Scientific finder, usual excellent service from FLO :thumbsup:

Could maybe have done with a bigger box in case it got damaged 😂

Dave

RDF-1.png.85d68c3a408ee978ccb3eda7a5747908.png

RDF-2.png.0b216991cb0de38d0dd412c02c31612a.png

  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It always baffles me what logic, some use when deciding what packaging to use. Wit Amazon I have sometimes had the reverse of that. :rolleyes2:

Not too long ago I had this incoming from FLO, to help me decide the future direction I intend to take: SCT or refractor? :undecided:

1914132854_DSC_0048-Copy.thumb.JPG.5186e111443fc1e9419821e4c47df84c.JPG

Only given it the one try so far, which proved to me I need to get a proper focuser on my C9.25!
It was clear out a bit ago, so will spend a half hour looking at Luna...

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Davey-T said:

New illuminator for my Explore Scientific finder, usual excellent service from FLO :thumbsup:

Could maybe have done with a bigger box in case it got damaged 😂

Dave

RDF-2.png.0b216991cb0de38d0dd412c02c31612a.png

There you go, box now the correct size 🤣

In reality, the box was making space for the enclosed cloud.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A boring mystery picture, but...

tabs.jpg.7f41ee137b75639921b56a99092fc8d7.jpg

I bought my Atik 460 from Ian King a couple of years back and it has been in my obbo ever since.  After a string of ropey subs I wondered if the dessicant plug might be getting a bit tired (though last night's subs were fine - obviously conditions rather than kit after all).

Nevertheless, I dropped FLO a line last week, asking how much some replacement plugs might be.  Received these in the post yesterday, completely free of charge.  You really can't complain about THAT for customer service...

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPS person delivered a big box earlier.
Nice new padded bag for the OOUK OD150 f5 scope.

Lacerta Carrying bag Newton 150/750

Stock picture from the supplier.
Bag is well fitted and well padded and cheaper that the Geoptik one I had before and reviewed on here.
I hope the black one will offend Mrs W less than the red one did.
Another review to come I think and this one does not get stopped by rain and wind.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Replacement stepper motor for HEQ5

Let the clouds roll in...........

 

IMG_4559.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.