Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

nightfisher

What did the postman bring?

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Adam J said:

Depends, but I would go with a black disk for darks or a light polution filter for luminescence. 

You can always upgrade to 3nm AD filters and then you can use a NII filter along side the Ha.

Adam 

Do you know how much 3nm Astrodons cost? :eek: :laugh:. Possibly a Star Analyser to get started with spectroscopy?

BTW I have a full set of the 3nm Astrodons, and find the [NII] very useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If ever I buy a Nitrogen 3nm filter it will have to wait at least a couple of months and then I shall need convincing that it would be better than using Ha 5mm - Ha 3nm.  Spent this months allocation on a bigger EFW!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Adam J said:

Depends, but I would go with a black disk for darks or a light polution filter for luminescence. 

You can always upgrade to 3nm AD filters and then you can use a NII filter along side the Ha.

Adam 

I have been thinking about the CLS CCD filter for luminence.

Are those the Astrodon filters you're hinting on ?

I find those ridiculous expensive 😖

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Delivered yesterday, (or the day before). and left in the electric meter cupboard, a 2"-1.25" reducer/adaptor from @F15Rules/Dave; to accompany my SkyWatcher 28mm e/p, so that I can use it in my TeleVue Ranger, (or with my Mak or SCT, should I forget the Altair Astro 2" star diagonal).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, L8-Nite said:

I love Zeiss !  :smiley:

.

PICT0002 (Medium).JPG

...and what is today's mystery object pray tell? :) 

Edited by Geoff Barnes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not the postman but picked up this 21.5” monitor from Pcworld for 59 quid for use with the new microscope. New microscope camera arriving tomorrow. 🙂

C56A32BD-FE16-4C63-8B83-7ABF89271747.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Geoff Barnes said:

...and what is today's mystery object pray tell? :) 

Its a finely made metrology stand which most likely came from the Zeiss factory works.  A great help when a third hand is needed for micrometer measurements and other inspection uses.  I stumbled upon this on ebay in a listing which was unrelated to Zeiss.  :smile:

PICT0003 (Medium).JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing, been sitting here all morning waiting for my delivery from FLO, just checked the tracking and according to RM it was delivered at 12.01 and signed for by Mr Rossiter, no card through the door and no idea who Mr Rossiter is :cussing:

Dave

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Nothing, been sitting here all morning waiting for my delivery from FLO, just checked the tracking and according to RM it was delivered at 12.01 and signed for by Mr Rossiter, no card through the door and no idea who Mr Rossiter is :cussing:

Dave

Mr RossiterimgID129160288.jpg.gallery.jpg.1ae7de9194cc98461a6b8e78ebbbd1b5.jpg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I wish the postman would bring me abs like Mr. Rossiter's.

But your delivery would probably end up more like this :D

spacer.png

James

  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, markse68 said:

Possibly the most useful £3 spend yet 😉

1E6DB76B-93F4-4B62-9818-BD1D8E7C7D8B.jpeg

I have one of these, and it was really effective with my Skywatcher 25mm, but wasn't the right distance from the eyepiece to focus with my 10mm SW ep (and I couldn't adjust the distance). 

It is extremely good value, but if you don't get good results with the first eyepiece you try, make sure you have a go with any others you have.

Good luck! 

Ady 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

I have one of these, and it was really effective with my Skywatcher 25mm, but wasn't the right distance from the eyepiece to focus with my 10mm SW ep (and I couldn't adjust the distance). 

It is extremely good value, but if you don't get good results with the first eyepiece you try, make sure you have a go with any others you have.

Good luck! 

Ady 

Thanks for the tip Ady- it’s a terrific design with the chuck jaws to grip the eyepiece and I couldn’t believe all the threaded parts are brass inserts- incredible for the money! 

Its also perfect for microscope-phone-photography 👍 (random pic of a Wago connector up close I took earlier trying it out 😉)

AA06746B-5774-49E6-AB77-2322EBC80364.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also have one of these although it’s started having problems with clamping the eyepiece as the jaws aren’t closing evenly... Maybe taking apart and cleaning needed? 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it showed up eventually, lucky the guy that took it in was honest :grin:

Dave

Dual-dovetail.png.98b5fabdfc4e9a18ae1ccc4675d4b01b.png

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting on a build of Robert Brown's Arduino Nano Dew Controller Pro. Have been hitting a well known auction site hard for some bits as a result 😛

 

IMG_20191122_060553.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, johninderby said:

I also have one of these although it’s started having problems with clamping the eyepiece as the jaws aren’t closing evenly... Maybe taking apart and cleaning needed? 🤔

Has one of the jaws jumped a “tooth” on the scroll thread John?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes one of the jaws had jumped a thread. Two screwdrivers and was able to force the jaw back into place. Seems to be OK now but will have to keep an eye on ot if it jumps again. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, arrayschism said:

Starting on a build of Robert Brown's Arduino Nano Dew Controller Pro. Have been hitting a well known auction site hard for some bits as a result 😛

 

IMG_20191122_060553.jpg

I'm struggling to finish mine, having done most of the work.  When the weather is so poor for so long it's often hard to find the enthusiasm :(

One thing to watch out for: I found the leads on the diodes I bought were too thick to go through the holes in the PCB.  At the suggestion of another SGL member I soldered them to fly leads, covered the joins in heatshrink and soldered the fly leads to the PCB.

James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JamesF said:

One thing to watch out for: I found the leads on the diodes I bought were too thick to go through the holes in the PCB.  At the suggestion of another SGL member I soldered them to fly leads, covered the joins in heatshrink and soldered the fly leads to the PCB.

Thank you James, I shall watch out for that. The PCB arrives next week - hopefully the diodes I already have will fit. Their legs are pretty slim 😊 If not then I'll have a go at doing what you did.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.