Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

nightfisher

What did the postman bring?

10m 4-port USB Hub and a Lynx Astro EQDIR cable so I can image with my HEQ5 Pro in the house with my laptop. Beats sitting outside freezing! 🥶

20190930_155421.jpg

• Like 4

Today the ‘postman’ delivered this 💫💫

I need to dig out a base and get the concrete in before the weather changes. 

0D97CD23-194B-4B4B-AA54-F5BEA3DCBA56.jpeg

366AF672-16CB-4769-89EA-600B00D9FD90.jpeg

• Like 18

So ot’s off to the local hire place for a concrete mixer and whacker and order the sand and stone.? 😁

Edited by johninderby
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Alan White said:

@tooth_dr was that First Class delivery?

Looks wonderful, good luck with the base build and assembly.

Thanks Alan :)   I was very fortunate in that the fella I purchased the dome off runs his own company, and delivered it for me in one of his vans.

13 minutes ago, johninderby said:

So ot’s off to the local hire place for a concrete mixer and whacker and order the sand and stone.? 😁

Absolutely - spade at the ready.  I had planned to dig it out, pour it up, wiring, etc over the next few months, in time to buy a new dome in Spring/Summer, but when this used one came up I couldnt not buy it.   It's the updated version, with the motorised dome rotation and motorised shutter kit.  There arent any bays, but I'll see how I get on without them.  Mightnt need them.

Edited by tooth_dr

Now round concrete base, square or octagonal? 

Bump outs for possible future bays?

Edited by johninderby

Depends how " pretty " you want it to look and if there's a clerk of works, AKA wife overseeing it 😂

Dave

• Haha 1

Found a copy of this for just £0.70! 

15698648020123379490751495458263.thumb.jpg.d39df3d26c48987408d7621522989032.jpg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

Now round concrete base, square or octagonal? 

Bump outs for possible future bays?

The site I have planned for it is on a corner with kerbing so base will be dictated by that to some extent. 

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Depends how " pretty " you want it to look and if there's a clerk of works, AKA wife overseeing it 😂

Dave

Dave - it’s going to have to be neat 😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Today the ‘postman’ delivered this 💫💫

I need to dig out a base and get the concrete in before

... Mrs Tooth Dr. decides she wants the kitchen back...

• Haha 2

Some nuts and bolts and a thread adapter for part of my my getting a Berlebach EQ5 tripod ready to take an AZ100 mount without buying an EQ6 top project . 🙂

Oh and a stack of round black rubbery things. 😁

4C6EC45B-BFAF-4236-ACB4-12C628CC719E.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, johninderby said:

Some nuts and bolts and a thread adapter for part of my my getting a Berlebach EQ5 tripod ready to take an AZ100 mount without buying an EQ6 top project . 🙂

Oh and a stack of round black rubbery things. 😁

4C6EC45B-BFAF-4236-ACB4-12C628CC719E.jpeg

I thought you’d be getting tyred of buying stuff by now, John

🤣

Edited by JeremyS
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I thought you’d be getting tyred if buying stuff by now, John

🤣

Time to get your coat I think. 😁😁😁

• Haha 3

My last.purchase for a while, maybe.

I've read good reports about this filter,  I know Stu uses one a lot. I want to use it primarily on Jupiter which is fairly dazzling high in our skies, hoping it will make it easier to see surface details. Also going to use it on Saturn to try and tease out as much detail as I can.

20191002_181002.thumb.jpg.1cca1b2a1b32b0a32c4223ed0fd0de3e.jpg

Hilariously, it honestly took me a good five minutes to work out how to open the case. I'm used to lifting a lid on filter cases, tbis one has a sliding drawer that you pull out the front. How dim am I.???

20191002_181037.thumb.jpg.fded466681a35907dacfa57d10e78c13.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It took me a while to work out how to open the box when I first bought Baader filters a few years ago, so you're not alone and I bet there are others too!

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Geoff Barnes said:

My last.purchase for a while, maybe.

I've read good reports about this filter,  I know Stu uses one a lot. I want to use it primarily on Jupiter which is fairly dazzling high in our skies, hoping it will make it easier to see surface details. Also going to use it on Saturn to try and tease out as much detail as I can.

20191002_181002.thumb.jpg.1cca1b2a1b32b0a32c4223ed0fd0de3e.jpg

Hilariously, it honestly took me a good five minutes to work out how to open the case. I'm used to lifting a lid on filter cases, tbis one has a sliding drawer that you pull out the front. How dim am I.???

20191002_181037.thumb.jpg.fded466681a35907dacfa57d10e78c13.jpg

Geoff a few years ago I did a comparison of various coloured filters + no filter + the Baader Neodymium filter on a filter adapter having 5 slots. As you can imagine I could switched between each filter, very quickly, to see which gave the best view of Jupiter. 

Well the Neodymium gave the most detailed view - so Geoff enjoy your views of Jupiter and saturn.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@johninderby tyres by post, interesting, do they self fit? 😂

I had a sudden deflation yesterday on a major A road while driving between sites yesterday, had to drive a mile on a flat to get safe place to stop, wrecked the nearly new tyre, grrr. 

On the Astronomy theme, post person delivered a fine used booked as recommended by @Wookie.
The practical astronomers deep sky companion.
A bit like the O'Meara books in that is shows you what the objects look like, work for my simple brain.

IMG_3579.thumb.JPG.3dfd5cde38ce89b7ceb04977f564afe7.JPG

IMG_3580.thumb.JPG.186ee2eeb5ab8cbc349d28cc002d1c57.JPG

Bought used from World of Books just over £18 used.

Edited by Alan White
typos of course, Asstronomy sounded so wrong!
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Alan White said:

@johninderby tyres by post, interesting, do they self fit? 😂

At half the Halfords price I’m happy to pop round to the local tyre place to have them fitted. Fresh rubber as well only made in  June. 👍🏻

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Geoff Barnes said:

I have been there too, but don't tell everyone! :angel4:

Seriously... one thing I like about the Baader Planetarium filter storage boxes/cases is the ability to stack them together 'side-by-side' or 'over & under'. :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

Ha.......the Baader cases are child's play to open compared to the evilness of the cases used on some small drills and milling bits. You have to press, lift and twist the tabs all at the same time. 🙀🙀🙀

248E3064-4CDA-4E4E-A7BF-0E0ED2770936.jpeg

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

A Coleman Tasman 3 tent + Coleman Big Basin sleeping bag. I've a Bortle 3/4 camp site in mind just over an hours drive from me for some winter observing. Plus now I have a tent I can pitch alone easily. My other tent is just a bit big and not as rugged.

IMG_20191002_125017731.thumb.jpg.0dcff2222500f8d283e5aa1b19f92ca5.jpg

The tent was from Winfield's Ebay shop at half price plus an Ebay free delivery promo. Bargain!

https://www.coleman.eu/uk/p-26099-tasman-3-tent.aspx

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Anyone tried one of these?

861340122_wi-ficamera.png.6241f6ae057af28fb62cce8c73a0ffcb.png

I have no idea how this is going to perform... good or bad, (review to follow), but at under £35.00GBP inc. P&P from China 🇨🇳, I thought it is worth a punt.

I am just reading the instructions leaflet and setting up on a smartphone/tablet... says it is 2.0 megapixel CMOS.

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 3

IMG_20191002_131337.thumb.jpg.804d384b37c2a770e1cf29ade5c541ef.jpg

From FLO.

• Like 2