Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

On 06/01/2019 at 13:45, emadmoussa said:

Nothing much...just an RDF. 

This look great - out of interest - did you consider the Telrad and if so how did you choose.

I just had a friend ask me for advice on which RDF to get and couldn't comment beyond my choice of a Telrad.

Thanks for any help, of course, please ignore if you didn't have to consider a Telrad ?

David

7 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Tak 76 DCU, David - part of the minimalist travel kit (24 mm Panoptic, 13 mm Nagler T6 and Tele Vue NZ 3-6 +/- Vixen HR 3.4).

Excellent - this approach is so popular these days (travel) whether imaging or observing with dark skies creeping further from our reach.

Nice combination which is sure to deliver ?

David

56 minutes ago, David_L said:

This look great - out of interest - did you consider the Telrad and if so how did you choose.

I just had a friend ask me for advice on which RDF to get and couldn't comment beyond my choice of a Telrad.

Thanks for any help, of course, please ignore if you didn't have to consider a Telrad ?

David

Hi David, 

My main driver is a Telrad. I bought this to fit on a small refractor. Haven't tried it yet, but it's certainly lighter and, obviously, much smaller than a Telrad. The Telrad can be adjusted/aligned fairly easily and quickly using its native knobs. This RDF, on the other hand, requires a hex key (provided). But I guess, once calibrated, it should stay - more or less -  aligned. 

Just a weedle book today, from First Light Optics.

Wasn't the postman, but DPD this instance.

Only Volume 1; vol 2 is on order but out of stock, looking forward to that as it's what we're moving into.

image.jpeg

Edited by reezeh
Did anyone spot my mistake? ?
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

Deepskydad autofocuser  for the 130pds now fitted,xmas money wisely spent

Excellent - you'll actually be able to focus that on the craters of the Moon now with a 4mm eyepiece in the tube ?

David

The postman has been busy:

CAF57662-CEC0-46C7-91E8-642AEC374842.thumb.jpeg.c64f3502aff1e6883f1549276305aaf2.jpeg

A couple of TV Plossls to complete the lineup 25,20,15, and now 11 and 8.

An electric hand warmer for long observing sessions.

And a couple of additions to the meteorite collection; a lump of Libian Glass impactite  and a Dioginate mini-meteorite (from Vesta).

486A3384-5476-4E90-AFA2-9EBC2879CA73.thumb.jpeg.e553d24a096370c547fadc1d242c81a8.jpeg

• Like 2

An Orion Smartphone adaptor for me. The Televue Fonemate works really well, but it only fits my 24mm Panoptic. Hopefully this will give a good fit on my BGOs for some higher power images.

I've got a few different sorts now so at some point will try to do a review on them for the Smartphone section.

20190114_101026.jpg

20190114_101058.jpg

20190114_101035.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Danjc said:

I ordered the moon and skyglow from AliExpress weeks ago and in the meantime had a rethink and ordered the CLS from Tring on Thursday. 

Both got delivered today at the same time ?

AA73DB4B-6E34-469F-8239-C3808E4E1854.jpeg

If your area has led lights which most uk counties are rolling out won’t the cls filter be as much use as a chocolate tea pot , if you haven’t then it maybe beneficial but for how long , the idas D2 is the only one I know of that works for led (I have one on order wether it works yet to be seen )

4 hours ago, bottletopburly said:

If your area has led lights which most uk counties are rolling out won’t the cls filter be as much use as a chocolate tea pot , if you haven’t then it maybe beneficial but for how long , the idas D2 is the only one I know of that works for led (I have one on order wether it works yet to be seen )

I have a lot sodium in the distance, LED lights are on the rise but I currently haven’t got the £££ to drop on  D2. 

The CLS will be significantly better than what I had which is nothing. 

Hope your D2 works for you and isn’t a chocolate tea pot ??

• Like 1

The hope is that the LED are better directed so spray less outwards to contribute to light pollution. Any filter that filters out light you don’t want is some help, but the days of totally killing the light pollution from orange low pressure sodium lights would seem to be over.

Peter

6 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

Me too, sweated ?pressing the buy button  I’ll tell ya  ?

In all seriousness though you will have to post up your findings. As you say IDAS are currently the only ones that are tackling LED. 

Hopefully other manufacturers will soon come olong and offer there options on it as LED’s  are only going to increase. 

• Like 1

In case you need it, I've written an instruction/maintenance manual for that trigger-grip (it usually comes with woeful instructions) - see the "Choosing and Using tab on http://binocularsky.com

Also, I see you have the 7DayShop monopod. Just a heads-up: if it is the one I think it is, the clamps are not adjustable for tension.The top clamp gets a lot of use and the one I had became too slack after about 18 months (still, lots of use for such an inexpensive monopod) and would no longer support the weight of my Helios Apollo 15x70, so you might want to start thinking about your eventual upgrade.

• Like 1

Thanks, no manual supplied. I’ve now tightened to ball clamp. For £8 I will see how I go and might be asking Santa for a better one later on the year. Made using my 15x70 much easier and fun compared to a tripod and very portable too, which is a big plus.

Peter