Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

On 30/05/2018 at 22:09, iPeace said:

Here's one of those impulse buys that's been a long time coming...

DSC_1723.thumb.JPG.a6f383987868ceeee1c59e860db8ff6f.JPG

iPeace_smile.gif.4d02ff0d3afaa6346766387e22db8898.gif

A great, high quality prism - and good value at under £100. The 2" is silly money IMHO, but as I am almost exclusively 1.25" now, it is irrelevant to me.

I only swapped my Tak prisms for Baader prisms because a) I feel the Baader is stronger built and thus (seem) better able to hold larger 1.25" EPs (like Pentax, Morpheus and LVW), and b) they have T2 connectivity which is great for binoviewing.

Dave

23 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

..but what about your heart, Steve????? - only joking!!

Have you posted about your Tak yet? Am overseas at the moment so haven't had much browsing time for a good few days..is it all you hoped??

Dave

The heart's no good Dave......already broken :grin:

As for the Tak, I started a thread entitled "I have just removed 55mm from my TAK tube ". A bit mischievous but it had the desired effect and was fun, but boy did it  take some twists and turns, and finished in a rather incongruous fashion, but I will let you read for yourself; 67 posts long when I last looked. I am trying to compose a reply to it all.

Have a great holiday.

Steve

Edited by Saganite
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

A great, high quality prism - and good value

That's what they all say - and now, I'm inclined to agree... :happy11:

16 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

I only swapped my Tak prisms for Baader prisms because a) I feel the Baader is stronger built and thus (seem) better able to hold larger 1.25" EPs (like Pentax, Morpheus and LVW), and b) they have T2 connectivity

...I'm likely to get a Baader T2 BBHS mirror (or prism; haven't decided) for similar reasons. I also use Baader T2 Amici prisms, and the T2 connectivity means I can put a 2" nose on them to fit the TV or FT focusers and put a bit of spacing (T2 spacer rings) on the eyepiece side to help reach focus. I had done the latter to prevent long-nosed eyepieces from hitting the prism; only discovered the focus benefit when I tried a 1.25" TV Everbrite diagonal in the Borg 71FL and it wouldn't reach focus...apparently the Borg's 2" FTF doesn't have a long enough drawtube to use a 'regular' 1.25" diagonal! I did have a 2" 35mm extension tube in the spares box, so this works with the Tak prism as well, but the OCD banshee is screaming for a neater solution. I can always use the Tak prism in the TV-60; that's native 1.25" only.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iPeace said:

DSC_1737.thumb.JPG.49389afc6e16693fb382b01f73560ba5.JPG

The unstoppable onwards march of the United Front For Japanese Eye Relief continues...

This mint specimen arrived in perfect condition, something that simply could not and would not have happened without the most considerate and selfless support of @Saganite

A true gent if there ever was one.

My grateful thanks and appreciation are for Steve. :happy11:

You won't need the super XW 7mm now, with the excellent 8mm there. ?

Steve, really, to sell such rare gems to buy a common Takahashi DC model ?

Edited by 25585

24 minutes ago, iPeace said:

That's what they all say - and now, I'm inclined to agree... :happy11:

...I'm likely to get a Baader T2 BBHS mirror (or prism; haven't decided) for similar reasons. I also use Baader T2 Amici prisms, and the T2 connectivity means I can put a 2" nose on them to fit the TV or FT focusers and put a bit of spacing (T2 spacer rings) on the eyepiece side to help reach focus. I had done the latter to prevent long-nosed eyepieces from hitting the prism; only discovered the focus benefit when I tried a 1.25" TV Everbrite diagonal in the Borg 71FL and it wouldn't reach focus...apparently the Borg's 2" FTF doesn't have a long enough drawtube to use a 'regular' 1.25" diagonal! I did have a 2" 35mm extension tube in the spares box, so this works with the Tak prism as well, but the OCD banshee is screaming for a neater solution. I can always use the Tak prism in the TV-60; that's native 1.25" only.

I'm quite happy with this. It's reasonably neat, performs well and it's solid. I can switch the eyepiece holder for a 2" if I want to use that format but in practice I rarely use 2" EP's with the Tak:

takfocuserdiag.JPG

• Like 3

On 04/06/2018 at 18:51, John said:

I'm quite happy with this.

Here's what I've got on the Amici prisms. The well-known 1.25" ClickLock adapters have a lesser-known feature: an inner T2 thread. With the spacer ring between it and the diagonal, there's no way an eyepiece will touch the prism. Apparently the combination also provides the required focus travel for use with the Borg 71FL. So the plan is to get a T2 BBHS mirror (or T2 prism) and configure it just like this for the Borg...in case you're wondering, my commitment to correct-image observing is a bit shakey as of late. :icon_biggrin:

DSC_1744.thumb.JPG.a6703120ff3ade6bbb122d033cc62e1c.JPG

Edited by iPeace
  • Like 4

I have a 15mm T2 spacer between the eyepiece holder and the diagonal body for the same reason. The barrel on the Nagler zoom is longer than on most other eyepieces. "Better safe than sorry" :smiley: 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Saganite said:

The lovely Celestron ED102 goes to a very good home on Saturday.

It certainly is Steve, looking forward to getting my hands on it. ?

15 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

It certainly is Steve, looking forward to getting my hands on it. ?

Hmmm? An ED100 and a Berlebach 3/8" Photo Adapter for HEQ5 / AZ5 tripod?

I sense a plan coming together! :icon_cool:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 25585 said:

You won't need the super XW 7mm now, with the excellent 8mm there. ?

Steve, really, to sell such rare gems to buy a common Takahashi DC model ?

I did not sell it Richard , I bought it,  on behalf of Mike, and posted it to him !!

When I did sell my 8mm LVW to you a month or so back, I don't recall you being too concerned that I was selling a rare gem.:smiley:

Edited by Saganite
  • Haha 2

Damn, you're spot on ?

I've had the AZ Gti on a Manfrotto 028b tripod and whilst it's fine with the ZS66 it's just too wobbly with a ST102 on board.

Hoping it'll be OK with the Omni XLT 102ED on a beefier tripod though it's a bit less portable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had my (now sold) AZ GTi on a (now sold) EQ5 tripod and pillar with my (now sold) adapter with a Tele Vue Pronto and it was rock solid. I think the Pronto is heavier than your 100ED so you should be good to go ?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Saganite said:

I did not sell it Richard , I bought it,  on behalf of Mike, and posted it to him !!

When I did sell my 8mm LVW to you a month or so back, I don't recall you being too concerned that I was selling a rare gem.:smiley:

Oh. I thought you had broken a bv pair of 8s, sold me one & kept the other for yourself. ?

iPeace, this feels a bit "Me Too" but I have been promising myself an XW of some description for years and this is what arrived today  ? .. Jupiter here I come ..

DSC_6247.thumb.JPG.8f19e39b732b69321a38db4bf0bc00e1.JPG

... Gordon

Edited by GordonD
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, 25585 said:

Oh. I thought you had broken a bv pair of 8s, sold me one & kept the other for yourself. ?

If I had been able to binoview with a pair of 8mm LVW's, believe me I would have done so, and I have said before that I would dearly have loved to use a pair of LVW 22's, but sadly they are too bulky for my IPD. :sad:

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, GordonD said:

iPeace, this feels a bit "Me Too" but I have been promising myself an XW of some description for years and this is what arrived today

Nice one! My own 5mm is back-ordered, 7mm and 3.5mm should arrive tomorrow. :happy11:

15 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Nice one! My own 5mm is back-ordered, 7mm and 3.5mm should arrive tomorrow. :happy11:

I've just ordered the Pentax XW 7mm to compliment my 9mm, 13mm, 20mm and 30mm Lunt/APM set that are incoming from Germany :grin: 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, iPeace said:

If you think the 5mm XW is tall one, wait until you see the 3.5mm ! :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, John said:

If you think the 5mm XW is tall one, wait until you see the 3.5mm ! :icon_biggrin:

Yep . And John is not joking about that 3.5 XW.

A high stack up it certainty is. Don't even think of putting a Barlow on it ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, iPeace said:

All I can say is Wow! That will be a terrific set. Post a picture of them all together and watch me go green with envy. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, DRT said:

I've just ordered the Pentax XW 7mm to compliment my 9mm, 13mm, 20mm and 30mm Lunt/APM set that are incoming from Germany :grin: 

Another awesome set up! Have I missed something? Is it Christmas already?

Edited by GordonD
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, John said:

3 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

Yep . And John is not joking about that 3.5 XW.

A high stack up it certainty is. Don't even think of putting a Barlow on it ?

I probably don't really need the 3.5 XW for the newt - 342x is a lot for my skies. But it completes the XW Short Set and I thought: what the Herschel... :grin:

• Like 1