Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

56 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Today I received a set of binoviewers. Now I only need some clear sky to see if I can get them to work. Be prepared for questions folks.

FC7B52DC-44B0-4B6E-9507-3DE748C565AC.jpeg

OH, very nice purchase, they should be a fine addition.
What is the scope or scopes they are to be used with from your collection?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JeremyS said:

I love mine too, Dave (especially in Tak green). Shall we start a "Show us your Tak Manhole Cover" thread? ?

Meanwhile this is specially for you, Dave:

IMG_8947.JPG

Thanks Jeremy...I feel "hole" again now!??

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, parallaxerr said:

WARNING - THIS POST DOES NOT CONTAIN TAKAHASHI

Filling in the gaps in my ES line-up of EP's :)

82° 4.7mm, 68° 24mm & 62° 32mm

20180522_155541.thumb.jpg.fa340f10c7332963660dc8d6f6d85f8c.jpg

Lovely..I really rate the ES24 68 ( haven't tried the other two?)

Dave

• Like 2

The really nice UPS driver dropped these off last night...

Just need the scope, mount, camera, OAG and filter wheel to go with them. Oh, and somewhere to house the whole lot. Still, need to start somewhere...

Could not get a Chroma Ha filter, so had to go with an Astrodon, otherwise wait forever I think.. Hopefully it will be more-or-less parfocal otherwise there might be one going cheap someday

Gordon

filters.JPG

• Like 2

My mini-PC from China:

DSCF0292.thumb.JPG.7cbfb2db700a9c42bda7267b90de7d20.JPG

Diskless, i5, 8GB RAM, 240G SSD, Win10 Pro, 2.4/5GHz wifi, 1G LAN, lots of USB.... £250 delivered!

Updating windows as I'm typing. Then I'll get remote desktop working.

Install my astro. apps and then use it remotely for scope/imaging/control.

Very chuffed ?

• Like 5

Post person Pat or Patricia has been and left a fine addition to my eyepiece case.

? ? Very Happy Bunny ? ?

IMG_3146.thumb.JPG.01e294c8347e64552cac48c3043fce93.JPG

Just wish I had not sold the 10mm to a fellow SGLer.

Of course it has arrived with a sky full of clouds after last night being clear but wobbly.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, solwisesteve said:

My mini-PC from China:

DSCF0292.thumb.JPG.7cbfb2db700a9c42bda7267b90de7d20.JPG

Diskless, i5, 8GB RAM, 240G SSD, Win10 Pro, 2.4/5GHz wifi, 1G LAN, lots of USB.... £250 delivered!

Updating windows as I'm typing. Then I'll get remote desktop working.

Install my astro. apps and then use it remotely for scope/imaging/control.

Very chuffed ?

Now that's a Mini PC!  Tee Hee.

In all seriousness, really, that's a fully functional PC?  Wow, these things are small. 

Edited by Alan White

3 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Nice, Alan. I've never tried any of the Pentax EP's, but understand they are as good as Vixen SLV's only over a bigger 70 degrees ....sounds fun :) 

Far nicer in my opinion, better build quality, more comfortable and as you say wider by 20 degrees.
I have gone Japanese with Vixen LVW, Pentax and some Televue made in Japan.
Some Chinese, but that's now going due to eye relief and my changing eyes!

• Like 2

I got another FLO parcel today too :) 

1 ) C8 Focus mask so I can take an in focus picture of Jupiter.

2) Astro lynx power cable, because my CPC800 grinds to a halt when I try to slew to objects. I'm guessing the power can't get through fast enough, so hopefully this beefier cable will help, fingers crossed.

3) WO prism diagonal -  I nearly went for the Tak prism, but the WO has a built in helical focuser which will be great for both my scopes as the both have single speed focusers. 

Hope it's clear later :) 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Far nicer in my opinion, better build quality, more comfortable and as you say wider by 20 degrees.
I have gone Japanese with Vixen LVW, Pentax and some Televue made in Japan.
Some Chinese, but that's now going due to eye relief and my changing eyes!

I'm going to have to try one some day. I know John has some Pentax in his case, and he's of course our resident EP connoisseur. 

• Like 1

On 22/05/2018 at 14:08, JeremyS said:

I love mine too, Dave (especially in Tak green). Shall we start a "Show us your Tak Manhole Cover" thread? ?

Meanwhile this is specially for you, Dave:

It

Inspired by Jeremy's brilliant post, we now have a live "Show us your Dewcap" thread on this forum?.

Please show us what you use to protect your precious lenses and mirrors?

Here's my "manhole cover" off my Tak FS128 with the lightweight cap from my Vixen ED103s for comparison..

Dave

IMG_20180523_192320436.jpg

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Alan White said:

Now that's a Mini PC!  Tee Hee.

In all seriousness, really, that's a fully functional PC?  Wow, these things are small. 

Yes...  less than 5" square. In fact a few people in the office are thinking of getting one for home use!

All updates now done (after 6 hours I left in doing them overnight!) and various astro programmes installed ?

• Thanks 1

After 3 or 4 weeks of waiting period, I just received my new 6mm HD-OR Orthoscopic by mail from Magellan Science. It will play an important role for my 2018 planetary observations. (One of my resolution in 2018 is to make it a planetary observation year! :laugh:) Now I have 2 HD-OR the 7mm giving 143x and the 6mm giving 166x, not a huge difference, 23x, but for planetary examination, I am convinced the 6mm will have an edge on some nights over the 7mm and especially over my 4.7mm

Very happy now ?

pGDoErq.jpg?1

Edited by N3ptune
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, N3ptune said:

After 3 or 4 weeks of waiting period, I just received my new 6mm HD-OR Orthoscopic by mail from Magellan Science. It will play an important role for my 2018 planetary observations. (One of my resolution in 2018 is to make it a planetary observation year! :laugh:) Now I have 2 HD-OR the 7mm giving 143x and the 6mm giving 166x, not a huge difference, 23x, but for planetary examination, I am convinced the 6mm will have an edge on some nights over the 7mm and especially over my 4.7mm

Very happy now ?

pGDoErq.jpg?1

Very nice! There is something very purist about observing with an Ortho. I do have a spot for them myself, but tend to use EP's with a bit more eye relief now days :) 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, N3ptune said:

Very happy now ?

I've been using my newish Fujiyama HD-OR 6 mm in my Tak FS102 on Jupiter and the Moon the last few nights. I'm really impressed with it. I was worried about the eye relief (I am used to longer ER models), but did not find it a problem.

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I've been using my newish Fujiyama HD-OR 6 mm in my Tak FS102 on Jupiter and the Moon the last few nights. I'm really impressed with it. I was worried about the eye relief (I am used to longer ER models), but did not find it a problem.

I wen't through a big 'ortho epoch' a few years back, and found the 6mm to the comfortable limit in terms of eye lens size and eye relief. I went through volcano top circle V's, BGO, GCO's. All great, as I'm sure the Fujiymas are too but never tried one. 

• Like 1

@Lockie Has @JeremyS said, I think the same thing, I can retract my eye quite far away for my 7mm and still retain the image of the planet, they have good tolerance for eye distance. Although, it's probably not the definition of real comfort with eye relief.  ?

Very good quality/price for the poor man, the purist or the realist. ?

Here is my bit cat with my collection of 2 Orthoscopic ?

XOAJMc2.jpg?1

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Guarding them, I like it :grin:

Part of it for me is eye lens size, and this scales with focal length, as said love Orho's but wouldn't buy e.g. a 4mm. I'm looking at the Vixen 3.4mm HR at the moment. The eye lens looks reasonable, and it has 10mm of ER.  

• Like 2

My only low power EP with a large eye lens is the ES 4.7 but it's not a popular reference of comfort. My 7mm orthoscopic is at least equal and perhaps more comfortable then the ES 4.7 with a minuscule eye lens. I never tried a high power comfortable eyepiece yet, with a large eye lens.

? Vixen HR looks like a very good eyepiece, they say they are good for fast scopes too.

https://agenaastro.com/vixen-3-4-mm-hr-eyepiece-37135.html

• Like 1