Narrowband

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

10 hours ago, Saganite said:

It is quite shameful what some folk will do to deceive, and describe as very good condition !!!

No wonder there was just the one picture.

Put in a complaint through eBay.  The seller should be banned as violating trade description. Also ebay will refund you if the seller does not.

11 hours ago, F15Rules said:

This is what I bid on and won on eBay..

Revelation binoviewer.jpg

And this is what arrived today at my work..

IMG_20180502_114722304.jpg

Needless to say it's gone back by return post...Described as "very little used and therefore in very good condition":eek::eek:...

On the plus side I also received today a nice Baader Eudiascopic 10mm and a pair of Opticron 8.5x50 Japan made binoculars (thanks FLO?)..

Dave

Obviously a deceptive add, but were you able to check the optical quality and function before deciding to send it back ?

It looks like a glue failure which could be a production issue for others manufactured as well. Could you tell us what brand it was ?  

The Southern Sky Guide by David Ellyard & Wil Tirion. 

Only magazine thickness. Thick enough semi-gloss pages. Having read some of it, easy and informative to digest. Great help with orientation and placement. For binocular and small aperture magnitudes. 

IMG_20180503_184601.jpg

Edited by 25585

12 hours ago, L8-Nite said:

Obviously a deceptive add, but were you able to check the optical quality and function before deciding to send it back ?

It looks like a glue failure which could be a production issue for others manufactured as well. Could you tell us what brand it was ?  

It was a Revelation unit with a pair of 20mm 66deg WO eyepieces.

One of the prism covers was literally hanging off, the other was held on by very sticky tape, not shown in photos and clearly known about or even actually applied by the vendor..After that, the trust is gone so I don't care if they were usable or not, they weren't what I thought I was buying based on the description.

I messaged the vendor and they quickly accepted my return request and I was sent a post paid return label by eBay to affix to the parcel. So I'm sure I will get my money back..eventually - PayPal have a habit of hanging on to refunded funds for far too long IMO!

Dave

• Like 6

8 hours ago, F15Rules said:

One of the prism covers was literally hanging off, the other was held on by very sticky tape, not shown in photos and clearly known about or even actually applied by the vendor..After that, the trust is gone so I don't care if they were usable or not, they weren't what I thought I was buying based on the description.

I messaged the vendor and they quickly accepted my return request and I was sent a post paid return label by eBay to affix to the parcel. So I'm sure I will get my money back..eventually - PayPal have a habit of hanging on to refunded funds for far too long IMO!

Dave

Dave, sorry to read this, but also glad I held back from bidding on this very item.

The description and photos as you quite rightly say were not representing the items true condition, unfortunate and very typical of some vendors on the bay.

Paypal will cough up within a reasonable time frame, just feels like forever when it’s your money.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Dave

And that is very much the point,  "the trust is gone"

I would have taken a punt based on the picture.

A few months ago I had to return a pair of Greenkat binoculars , which were very much not as described. It took approximately three weeks for the refund.

Edited by Saganite

6 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Always beware of stock photos. Ask the vendor for WYSIWYG ones before bidding. 

That wasn't a stock picture.

And "What I saw was most definitely what I got"!!

Dave

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 25585 said:

Always beware of stock photos. Ask the vendor for WYSIWYG ones before bidding. 

The photos in listing were carefully presented and chosen, it was the sides not shown that Dave quite rightly has a issue with.

Over recent years it’s what you are not shown that should sound alarm bells with Fleabay listings.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Alan White said:

The photos in listing were carefully presented and chosen, it was the sides not shown that Dave quite rightly has a issue with.

Over recent years it’s what you are not shown that should sound alarm bells with Fleabay listings.

No returns is always questionable. 

I try to cover everything as honestly & as detailed as possible when I sell, so expect the same from vendors looking for my custom. No do, no buy!

• Like 1

In the post yesterday:

Very hefty gate post to use for my 'dirty but quick' pier (photos to follow in due course)

In the post today:

A3x15mm sheet of plexiglass - to be cut into two 8" shims to help fixing the mount to above post .

3/8 UNC bolts for fixing mount (see above)

M10 coach bolts (see above)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, solwisesteve said:

In the post yesterday:

Very hefty gate post to use for my 'dirty but quick' pier (photos to follow in due course)

In the post today:

A3x15mm sheet of plexiglass - to be cut into two 8" shims to help fixing the mount to above post .

3/8 UNC bolts for fixing mount (see above)

M10 coach bolts (see above)

Look forward to you posting :laugh2: and the pictures that follow.

Postie arrived and I am now a very happy camper.

This arrived....

IMG_3113.thumb.JPG.2a9730485e2df5fcd73be7b4545e48d6.JPG

Its brand new and joins my 22mm LVW, yes I am now the happy owner of a .......

IMG_3115.thumb.JPG.0458aaab2ae2a88f4b629a96605b64db.JPG

13mm LVW and its as described, thank you Tring Astronomy Centre.

This has taken me a lot of pain and thought to decide this route,
which I know is difficult as its a defunct line,but to me,
the clarity, comfort and build quality wins the day.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 3

Just now, LukeSkywatcher said:

Love my Vixens. NPL for me. One of these yrs ill upgrade and buy a low, medium and high mag. Hope your new Vixen performs as well as it should. 

If it is like the 22mm, which I am sure it is, then yes it will perform flawlessly to my eyes.

7 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Postie arrived and I am now a very happy camper.

This arrived....

IMG_3113.thumb.JPG.2a9730485e2df5fcd73be7b4545e48d6.JPG

Its brand new and joins my 22mm LVW, yes I am now the happy owner of a .......

IMG_3115.thumb.JPG.0458aaab2ae2a88f4b629a96605b64db.JPG

13mm LVW and its as described, thank you Tring Astronomy Centre.

Now has taken me a lot of pain and thought to decide this route, which I know is difficult as its a defunct line,
but to me the clarity, comfort and build quality wins the day.

Ebay has 3.5, 5 and 8mm somewhere. 17mm is harder to find. 30 is around, some 42 but usually in the US.

• Like 1

Nothing, not the postman though but Hermes, found a card on the doormat saying they tried to deliver now they can't come back until the 8th, no ring of the bell, no knock on the knocker, lucky it's wasn't astro' gear :hmh:

Dave

37 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Alan, you should buy the 8mm.It will be a nice high mag Ep to go with the 13and22.

I'm not seeing any LVW on ebay. 

I agree. Tring have an 8mm, don't wait!

• Like 1