Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

One minute you’re thinking there’s a gap in your minimum glass set-up around 12-15mm, then you’re disappointed not to have won that £12 bid for a Meade on eBay, the next you’ve clicked buy on FLO. 
Feels like the top of an expensive slope… 70D28227-DE22-4C79-BE7B-D4AB26BA7DEC.thumb.jpeg.3cacf9e4f5001ad62a661bab69472da5.jpeg

62341FB5-DFEC-47CD-B986-9A993E83FDFE.jpeg

• Like 17

28 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Where’s the fan from John? Be interesting to hear how you get on with it.

The place I got it from is now out of stoc,k but this  is the same fan. Cheap and cheerful so if it doesn’t work no great loss. 🙂

https://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/BitFenix-Spectre-200mm-Fan-All-White_30354.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvPndlYjA9AIVh-vtCh3TsgXUEAQYASABEgIjHfD_BwE

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Few bits & pieces.

Cooling fan, self adhesive felt for relining tube rings and a Svbony helical focuser. 

14DC9949-85DE-4F0E-9129-CD358D65929C.jpeg

I’ve still to buy a fan (did order one but it got lost and refunded) Which scope is that for John?

Edited by Stardaze

8 hours ago, SuburbanMak said:

One minute you’re thinking there’s a gap in your minimum glass set-up around 12-15mm, then you’re disappointed not to have won that £12 bid for a Meade on eBay, the next you’ve clicked buy on FLO. 
Feels like the top of an expensive slope… 70D28227-DE22-4C79-BE7B-D4AB26BA7DEC.thumb.jpeg.3cacf9e4f5001ad62a661bab69472da5.jpeg

62341FB5-DFEC-47CD-B986-9A993E83FDFE.jpeg

As I have TV binoviewer , I need two of them! Yep it’s an expensive slope, but with great rewards.

On 24/11/2021 at 10:44, Pitch Black Skies said:

Congratulations on your EQ6R! 💪

I have the same setup, albeit riding on an uncertain EQ5. I have opted for the ZWO ASI533 MC-PRO after some digging around.

If you can live with the square fov, the 533 has lower read noise (1.0e), higher QE (80% peak), and suffers zero amp glow. Paired with the 130P-DS under OK seeing conditions, it gives an ideal resolution of 1.19"/pixel.

https://astronomy.tools/calculators/ccd_suitability

Clear Skies 👍

Thanks for this, trouble is, I'm not sure I like the square fov, this is why I am thinking prolly the 294.

• Like 2

On 29/11/2021 at 22:16, Chaz2b said:

Vintage Pentax 10x50  model no 564. £29.95 delivered

Those old Pentax are very good binoculars and there is no end of them to be had on Fleabay. A pair of 7x50's went for £21 earlier this week! Glad you got to blip sorted.

• Like 2

Ever since I started back in this hobby two years ago, I’ve absorbed tons of information, articles and reviews, lots from this very forum of course, but I’ve also read and re-read many times the reviews from this great website… http://www.scopeviews.co.uk

In fact bizarrely it was the binocular reviews that got me back into looking at telescopes. The Takahashi reviews I found particularly absorbing and I have now gathered a little collection of them.

I kept being drawn back to the review for the FC-100DZ though, and so I was lucky to find a lightly used example recently and it arrived today (perfectly packed thank you) 👍

Turns out it’s the same actual scope from that very website and I’m now it’s very happy third owner... how bizarre is that 😁

BA96C502-6D95-48B0-A129-47C853D69A55.jpeg

86020116-B03C-4220-BC2A-FCA53F0CA3BA.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 20

36 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Ever since I started back in this hobby two years ago, I’ve absorbed tons of information, articles and reviews, lots from this very forum of course, but I’ve also read and re-read many times the reviews from this great website… http://www.scopeviews.co.uk

In fact bizarrely it was the binocular reviews that got me back into looking at telescopes. The Takahashi reviews I found particularly absorbing and I have now gathered a little collection of them.

I kept being drawn back to the review for the FC-100DZ though, and so I was lucky to find a lightly used example recently and it arrived today (perfectly packed thank you) 👍

Turns out it’s the same actual scope from that very website and I’m now it’s very happy third owner... how bizarre is that 😁

That didn't take long! :D

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, UKDiver said:

That didn't take long! :D

What can I say... they say you never know what you'll miss until it's gone... realised that actually I do need a 100mm refractor in the arsenal 😁

I hope you're getting some lovely views with the FC-100DC... these are all beautiful scopes 👍

Edited by HollyHound
Grammar
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

What can I say... they say you never what you'll miss until it's gone... realised that actually I do need a 100mm refractor in the arsenal 😁

I hope you're getting some lovely views with the FC-100DC... these are all beautiful scopes 👍

Me wants one...NOW! 😁

Edited by callisto
change wording
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

What can I say... they say you never what you'll miss until it's gone... realised that actually I do need a 100mm refractor in the arsenal 😁

I'm certainly getting some lovely view OF the FC-100DC. It's currently sitting behind me waiting for a RACI (my back did not like the awkward positions the Japanese appear to prefer) and clear skies for some decent EP comparisons. Typically I was away last week, clear skies in London at times. :) :(

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, UKDiver said:

I'm certainly getting some lovely view OF the FC-100DC. It's currently sitting behind me waiting for a RACI (my back did not like the awkward positions the Japanese appear to prefer) and clear skies for some decent EP comparisons. Typically I was away last week, clear skies in London at times. :) :(

Agree with that... I have a couple of the Takahashi straight through 6x30 finders, which are super clear and lovely to look through... but a pain to use when elevated beyond a certain angle... So, like you, I've fitted RACI finders to the Takahashi brackets and they work perfectly. Can't bring myself to part with the Tak finders though and do use one on the FOA-60Q for low elevation viewing sometimes.

Same, missed a good few clear nights due to a cold 😬

Just now, HollyHound said:

Agree with that... I have a couple of the Takahashi straight through 6x30 finders, which are super clear and lovely to look through... but a pain to use when elevated beyond a certain angle... So, like you, I've fitted RACI finders to the Takahashi brackets and they work perfectly. Can't bring myself to part with the Tak finders though and do use one on the FOA-60Q for low elevation viewing sometimes.

Same, missed a good few clear nights due to a cold 😬

I'll probably return the finder, but only after comparing in use. The money would be useful towards a smaller FL eyepiece. I think...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HollyHound said:

BA96C502-6D95-48B0-A129-47C853D69A55.jpeg

86020116-B03C-4220-BC2A-FCA53F0CA3BA.jpeg

Congratulations. These are lovely scopes 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Agree with that... I have a couple of the Takahashi straight through 6x30 finders, which are super clear and lovely to look through... but a pain to use when elevated beyond a certain angle... So, like you, I've fitted RACI finders to the Takahashi brackets and they work perfectly.

Same is true of Vixen. I'm aware of the straight-through Japanese trend, but if they're competing on the world-wide market with their products, why on earth won't someone offer a RACI version. Not knocking the Synta 6x30 and 9x50 RACI finders, I have both, but it would be nice to have finder optics to use that are on a par with the main scope.

• Like 3

The Opticron Oregon 15x70 binoculars from FLO arrived this morning. Unfortunately after a very, very frustrating hour this evening looking in bags, drawers & boxes, my bino bracket seems to have disappeared! I was fuming. 😬

Anyway I've just come in after twenty minutes in the garden with quite an arm ache. The gym calls!

However the 15x70s worked as expected. Everything bigger and brighter with a bit less fov. I can barely see the nebulosity in Orion with the 10x50 bins but the new bruisers did the job.

A new bracket has been ordered. I'll probably find my old one after the delivery. 🙄

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 9