nightfisher

4 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Oooooo

20201028_112404.thumb.jpg.d8cc32e7d6781fc7ebb73196fb65274d.jpg

What's this... double box....

20201028_112612.thumb.jpg.95e5c2dc6af75a1ce285cd44c402f44a.jpg

Ikle white frac...

20201028_112904.thumb.jpg.68f605d2924d0306a69afeb903e20b19.jpg

This looks a totally different proposition than the f11... lovely white powder coat.. very tactile..

20201028_113141.thumb.jpg.cac1ec56e8a97f441964d8f6108da6db.jpg

Yessssss.. this telescope is getting quite a following. Welcome to the club. 👍

• Like 3

On 27/10/2020 at 19:40, F15Rules said:

A nice oldish Helios Evolution 90mm F10 refractor (forerunner of the Skywatcher Evostar) for grab and go. It is in really nice condition, very lightweight and with a nice smooth focuser, which I've enhanced with a couple of spare Tak FS focuser knobs!

The 90mm is a worthwhile upgrade to an 80mm, but slimmer than a 100mm, and the few reviews I have seen or heard of this scope were very positive.

I gave the scope a good clean and took the objective out to clean both sides. It's a cemented doublet and has cleaned up beautifully. Just need to drill out two new Tak mount compatible holes on the dovetail, but am planning to get a lightweight altaz mount to go with it..

You'll love this for grab and go... it's similar to my StellaMira 80mm f/10 and I love that scope for lunar, planetary and just plain old "looking around" too 👍

• Like 2

On 23/10/2020 at 20:57, teoria_del_big_bang said:

1157778291_IMG_20201023_2034121.thumb.jpg.f0c046a98ec51606da1ea97f9a4be403.jpg

Not strictly Astro related but will at least keep me awake when those long dark CLEAR nights come (they will come won't they ? )

Steve 

And spend the rest of the night going to the loo 😀

On 15/10/2020 at 19:41, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Time to start thinking about keeping those toes warm 😀

DSC_1007.JPG

Nice!

And if I can make a recommendation to anyone who is wondering as to how to keep warm: I suggest a pocket warmer that runs off lighter fuel, such as by Zippo and Whitby. EBay is a good source of them; they have replaceable burners that last and the fuel is cheap. A few times I've had a warmer run for fifteen hours or more even though the maximum quoted time is 12.

The only two downsides are that they can smell like a cigarette lighter and because they use combustion they output water as a byproduct.

If interested, just search for Zippo / Whitby hand or pocket warmers on there.

The replacement burners are interchangeable so no worries about compatibility 😉

No, I'm not a seller or dealer; just making a recommendation and suggestion, because I don't believe in ones that are electrically powered and rechargeable as they're probably worse than those that use lighter fluid for the environment and economics. I work outdoors, so I use these things regularly when it gets cold. 

• Like 1

Insulated clothing already?!  I'm still wearing shorts and t-shirts most of the day (I have preferred something longer to keep my knees warm in the evening for the last couple of weeks, I admit).  And no, I am not a postie :D

James

9 minutes ago, reezeh said:

Nice!

And if I can make a recommendation to anyone who is wondering as to how to keep warm: I suggest a pocket warmer that runs off lighter fuel, such as by Zippo and Whitby. EBay is a good source of them; they have replaceable burners that last and the fuel is cheap. A few times I've had a warmer run for fifteen hours or more even though the maximum quoted time is 12.

The only two downsides are that they can smell like a cigarette lighter and because they use combustion they output water as a byproduct.

No, I'm not a seller or dealer; just making a recommendation and suggestion, because I don't believe in ones that are electrically powered and rechargeable as they're probably worse than those that use lighter fluid for the environment and economics. I work outdoors, so I use these things regularly when it gets cold. 

Very neat, I had to go google that to see how it works. The thought of putting something alight in my pocket isn't an idea I'd normally have lol

1 minute ago, JamesF said:

Insulated clothing already?!  I'm still wearing shorts and t-shirts most of the day (I have preferred something longer to keep my knees warm in the evening for the last couple of weeks, I admit).  And no, I am not a postie :D

James

I'm an ex-postie, indoors though but I almost always am wearing shorts (it's a Post Office tradition,  you know!) But any weapon against the cold is a good thing: after all we hoomans are tropical creatures! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

Very neat, I had to go google that to see how it works. The thought of putting something alight in my pocket isn't an idea I'd normally have lol

It kind of smoulders; actually it's a catalytic reaction. And no, they don't get so hot as to burn if you follow the instructions: particularly putting the thing in the bag to reduce air getting to the things 😉

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, reezeh said:

Nice!

Right! Thanks. That's my Christmas pressie sorted!

14 hours ago, Pixies said:

Right! Thanks. That's my Christmas pressie sorted!

If you don’t want the smell then I recommend the USB rechargeable hand warmers. I have poor circulation and these are the most effective and convenient hand warmers I have ever used, in fact I have 2 pairs to make sure I am never without.

Nice item Magnus.

You beat me to it when it was posted in the classified, so I got this instead...

image.thumb.png.896c634274f47261508a21b07a703e5a.png

and it is surprisingly good.  Nice shake free focusing by running my finger up or down the tie.

image.thumb.png.12cfa4daae20a4dc1a540a60d4522376.png

Recommended :thumbright:

(Note to self: repaint garage floor)

Edited by globular
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, banjaxed said:

If you don’t want the smell then I recommend the USB rechargeable hand warmers. I have poor circulation and these are the most effective and convenient hand warmers I have ever used, in fact I have 2 pairs to make sure I am never without.

They're the type I don't like unless you can replace the battery easily

25 minutes ago, globular said:

Nice item Magnus.

You beat me to it when it was posted in the classified, so I got this instead...

image.thumb.png.896c634274f47261508a21b07a703e5a.png

and it is surprisingly good.  Nice shake free focusing by running my finger up or down the tie.

image.thumb.png.12cfa4daae20a4dc1a540a60d4522376.png

Recommended :thumbright:

(Note to self: repaint garage floor)

Nice idea, just be careful if it ever ends pointed upward that you don't take yer eye out tho 😮 

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, reezeh said:

They're the type I don't like unless you can replace the battery easily

They are rechargeable so the batteries don’t need changing. You can also charge your phone and they have a built in light.