Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

My Pi4 came at 12:45 - installed Astroberry and now have Kstars and PHD2 configured and guiding - barebones to running in less than 3 hours. Seems to work ok with my HEQ5, EQDIR cable and ZWO cameras.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gina said:

You must be focussing a couple of huge scopes to need all that power James 🤣

:D

It's more that I want very small steps because of the size of the critical focus zone (which for one of my OTAs is only 50 microns), though from what has been discussed since perhaps I could have gone with the Nema14 (plus gearbox) or maybe even smaller.

James

• Like 1

On 07/12/2019 at 15:15, johninderby said:

Some twin wheel braked castors for the Bresser 10” dob. Cheaper to buy a set of four although of course only three needed. 

65840984-64C4-42D4-A2F9-DE67972EC086.jpeg

How did you get on with them John? Thought about wheeling up my dob as my back isn't getting any younger.

8 minutes ago, elliot said:

How did you get on with them John? Thought about wheeling up my dob as my back isn't getting any younger.

Mainly for rolling the dob around indoors. OK on smooth paving as well  For rougher patios etc. just use bigger diameter wheels. 

Makes it much easier to move the dob around. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andrew s said:

Smaller than my thumb nail a SanDisk microSDXC card with 400GB of space. For a man who remembers floppy disks it's remarkable.

Regards Andrew

I was reading something about new stacked memory even denser packed into the same footprint, I started out with 5.1/4" floppies after cassette tapes 😂

Dave

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

I was reading something about new stacked memory even denser packed into the same footprint, I started out with 5.1/4" floppies after cassette tapes 😂

Dave

Dave

Can go back further to 8" Floppies that went into a cartridge that held 10  at 80kb each by IBM then 1.2MB each max at the end. you had single sided and double sided  blast from the past

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Dave

Yes I used tapes on a Commondore Pet. But, just 14p per gigabyte memory today is just remarkable. 

I also used a hybrid analogue/digital computer the digital part of which had a ferrite core memory. The only time it gave problems was after  preventative maintenance!

Regards Andrew 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Bet all you needed was a screwdriver and a pair of pliers 😂

you forgot the minor adjustment tool.  And a wire wrap tool as on tracked circuit boards, wired in those days to pins when doing upgrades/updates you could wash the circuit boards in those days to get rid off the dust and tobacco stains there where a lot even in a computer rooms 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, John said:

My postie delivered a Celestron RACI illuminated reticule 9x50 finder today. For use on my 12 inch dob I expect.

P1090455.JPG.7d532602b24dc05c424bea691b58fbba.JPG

I thought you already used a RACI finder with your dobson. 

Nice finder! :)

At the moment I have an Antares VS60 with no illuminated field.

2 hours ago, fozzybear said:

Dave

Can go back further to 8" Floppies that went into a cartridge that held 10  at 80kb each by IBM then 1.2MB each max at the end. you had single sided and double sided  blast from the past

First " proper " computer was a Sanyo twin 51/4" discs one for the operating system and one for the program, I think it had 32k memory IIRC, cost £1500 new with nice green monitor, I bought it second hand complete with a Star daisy wheel printer 😂

Dave

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

First " proper " computer was a Sanyo twin 51/4" discs one for the operating system and one for the program, I think it had 32k memory IIRC, cost £1500 new with nice green monitor, I bought it second hand complete with a Star daisy wheel printer 😂

Dave

IBM  XT then the first home computer with twin 5 1/4 diskette drives  1500 quid  I can remember the noise they made when seeking 

Edited by fozzybear
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Piero said:

I thought you already used a RACI finder with your dobson. 

Nice finder! :)

At the moment I have an Antares VS60 with no illuminated field.

Thanks !

I have a non-illuminated RACI on there at the moment. I tried an illuminated one on someone elses scope and rather liked it so when this one came up for sale I went for it and my ED120 now gets promoted from a 6x30 RACI to the older 9x50 that the dob was using. My scopes seem to have a "pecking order" :rolleyes2:

@fozzybear and others: The first computer I worked with was in 1984, this Cifer 9000 Unix machine with a massive 10 megabyte hard disk and 5 1/4 in floppy drive:

image.png.b03787afc5d4782fc38d8a2913805559.png

• Like 4

I remember buying a twin 5.25" floppy drive for my BBC B for a whopping £600, a lot of money in those days but at least I was earning money.  My early days of computing involved a Teletype machine connected to the phone line to a room full of machine somewhere else (London, Manchester??  I forget).  Comms was at 75 baud - that's 75 bits per second!!

• Like 1