SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Joy!   My first refractor.  A deluxe-finder-grab-n-go-solar-guide-apochromat to be more specific.  These 80mm scopes are really ubiquitous.

I got some accessories too.

The mirror in the diagonal is so well made that I first thought they had forgotten to put a mirror in it, until I realised that it was the back of the white dust cap what I was looking at when staring down the barrel on the scope side.

The scope has a really nice finish and judging by the short moment of daytime viewing I’ve managed to get it is very sharp with no hint of color fringing.   I hope to be able to put it to the test soon. It doesn’t get really dark here in the summer so the moon will be the first target.

_gear.thumb.jpg.cff7dff5ab29a9f9243125eb667a78f8.jpg

And now a weather report.

_todays_weather.thumb.jpg.3ee66c2bb4b9d89274a52240d6fa1f6e.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, johninderby said:

Has anyone actualy seen one of the ES 30mm 3” eyepieces. Now that looks like a real monster.

Focal Length 30mm

Length200mm

Width107mm

Weight82.9oz; 2353g

Barrel Size3.00

D83C8F1C-8786-4DCC-832A-577A2E574CB0.jpeg

When you need a wheel dolly to get your eyepiece out into the backyard.    :)

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Very nice! I like the TS fracs, I have the 72mm myself. I'm sure you will have fun with that, very versatile as you say. Do you have a Herschel Wedge for solar?

Not yet.  It is certainly at the top of the list.  I've had a peek at the Baader 2 inch Herschell prism, but then someone posted some feedback on one made by Lacerta which is quite a lot cheaper.  However, the Baader wedge comes with a solar continuum filter included in the price that is quite expensive to buy as an option.  Need to scratch my head for a while on that one.

Edited by McNewt

I have the CoolWedge and love it. I know some say the Lacerta is as good but cheaper, but I have to say that in a top quality frac under good conditions the Baader is cracking. I've not done a side by side though so who knows! Worth checking you've got enough inwards focus for the 2", I think that can sometimes be a problem but it's not something I've come across.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

+1 for the Baader cool Herschel wedge.

4 hours ago, Stu said:

I have the CoolWedge and love it. I know some say the Lacerta is as good but cheaper, but I have to say that in a top quality frac under good conditions the Baader is cracking. I've not done a side by side though so who knows! Worth checking you've got enough inwards focus for the 2", I think that can sometimes be a problem but it's not something I've come across.

+ 3 for Baader nice accessories and filters with it.  The twist lock that came with screws into back of my sct makes for solid camera platform quick swaps.

• Like 1

The Nirvana ES 16mm 82 degree eyepiece arrived. 🙂

Tried it in the Quark 60 scope and it worked brilliantly..The sun’s  disc nearly filled the fov and showed good detail that was nearly as sharp as the TV plossl but at a bigger scale. With the TV had to position my eye just right to be able to see anything but with the Nirvana position wasn’t so important. Was just easier to look through.

Of course after a few minutes the clouds came racing in and ended the little observing session. 🤬

9FD74AF7-2BAF-47B7-9CD7-86E6D27A0C41.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 4

And Amazon just dropped off something not astro related.🙂

A nice new work light with two swiveling side lights. Found a use for the unused SolarQuest tripod. Just right for this light. No excuse not to start the loft clear up and shelving project now. 😁

8C48793C-489E-4290-A9F3-4FE203FBA599.jpeg

139EBE63-B72B-4071-85B8-88702525FD74.jpeg

7F492BA3-3FA2-4AB2-8BD3-FFA091C4A843.jpeg

F0E897BA-7F63-48B2-B9E1-7F6B051E65F5.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, johninderby said:

And Amazon just dropped off something not astro related.🙂

A nice new work light with two swiveling side lights. Found a use for the unused SolarQuest tripod. Just right for this light. No excuse not to start the loft clear up and shelving project now. 😁

8C48793C-489E-4290-A9F3-4FE203FBA599.jpeg

139EBE63-B72B-4071-85B8-88702525FD74.jpeg

7F492BA3-3FA2-4AB2-8BD3-FFA091C4A843.jpeg

F0E897BA-7F63-48B2-B9E1-7F6B051E65F5.jpeg

Take me to your leader puney Earthling.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, johninderby said:

he sun’s  disc nearly filled the fov and showed good detail that was nearly as sharp as the TV plossl but at a bigger scale.

I was initially disappointed with my ES Nirvana 16/82 when used in an ST80, but I was stunned by how good it was in a Maksutov as a lunar eyepiece.

10 minutes ago, Ags said:

I was initially disappointed with my ES Nirvana 16/82 when used in an ST80, but I was stunned by how good it was in a Maksutov as a lunar eyepiece.

I bought it mainly for use in a mak but have been surprised by how well it works in the Quark.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MilwaukeeLion said:

+ 3 for Baader nice accessories and filters with it.  The twist lock that came with screws into back of my sct makes for solid camera platform quick swaps.

+4 !

Just a basic laptop but surprised at how nice it is for the price. Doesn’t feel cheap and everything moves along nicely.  Won’t be doing any image processing with it. Just for capture. . Will save to a micro SD card.

LENOVO IdeaPad 14” laptop 4Gb ram and a 64 GB eMMC

5FB3DC3B-A85B-4F85-892C-70326CE398FB.jpeg

• Like 2