SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Setting up MicroTouch AutoFocus on SCT

Hi,

I have just bought a Starizona MicroTouch AutoFocus kit for my SCT which I have already replaced the stock focuser with a StarLight Instruments FeatherTouch unit.

Reading through the installation instruction, the actual fitting of the motor look very straight forward but I need some advice on the software setup side of things.

The instructions state that the software has a range of digital steps from 0 to 60000 & defaults to 30000 as a starting position.

Now surely the software does not know the position of my focuser at start up and presumably I need to train it.

So, do I just turn my focuser all the way until it hits it's stop in one direction & call this 0, then do the same by turning the focuser all the way in the opposite direction to the stop & set this as 60000?

This information doesn't seem to be clear in the instructions.

I am just guessing that the system needs to know the MIN & MAX parameters before it can determine a MID point of 30000.

7 minutes ago, Waldemar said:

The simplest way to do this, is to get focus with the unit and set that point @ 3000 . In that way you will have the full range of the MicroTouch unit used.

Ok, thanks. I’ll give that a go. 

That’s the same motor as I have, i use on my FT Crayford, but also fits the SCT microtouch focuser, but I do find that 5v which is what these motors rune from, is not enough for my kit, so I run off 8v and much more powerful, I don’t use the starizona controller.... enjoy.. :)

19 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

That’s the same motor as I have, i use on my FT Crayford, but also fits the SCT microtouch focuser, but I do find that 5v which is what these motors rune from, is not enough for my kit, so I run off 8v and much more powerful, I don’t use the starizona controller.... enjoy.. :)

15 minutes ago, Waldemar said:

I use the same on my RASA, with FocusMax. Works great!

Hi guys, maybe you could tell me, is the temp sensor in the motor or the HC?

I have emailed Dean at Starizona but I sent him a couple emails this past week with no response, guess he maybe on hols.

Just now, 1CM69 said:

Hi guys, maybe you could tell me, is the temp sensor in the motor or the HC?

I have emailed Dean at Starizona but I sent him a couple emails this past week with no response, guess he maybe on hols.

The temp. sensor is in the control box. It sticks out 1mm on the short side under the S of Starizona.

1 minute ago, Waldemar said:

The temp. sensor is in the control box. It sticks out 1mm on the short side under the S of Starizona.

Excellent, thought that was it but needed to check.

Ideally then the HC needs to be located as close as possible to the OTA to get an accurate reading of the temp around it

Archived